I've seen the future

garethj

in the past, because new cars don't really look futuristic any more. If you're going to drive a modern car, you want to be able to get out dressed like this

Posted Image

Here's my favourite cars for that 2000AD look :D

The only new car for years that's looked new. I love it in this green colour too

Posted Image

The 1985ish Astra. Now they've long gone from the roads you can look at the appearance with fresh eyes. If it's not aerodynamic it still looks it, the base model looks even more so.

Posted Image

Other than the wipers that look like an insect's antennae, this is a spaceship with a flat 2 engine

Posted Image

And what the Sierra should have been if it didn't have to appeal to the conservative car buyers

Posted Image

Forgot this one - Subaru SVX!

Posted Image

Any others that you'd make a Blake's 7 SFX hissing noise as you opened the door?

I Just got a Scenic dizzler in a similar 'caustic nuclear green' as that Prius.

My suggestion would be this:

Posted Image

When they first brought it out, i remember thinking that Ford had maybe so much money that they had built a time machine, taken a car design from the future that had done very well, but brought it back in time to reap in the rewards early. However the 1990's were not ready for such mental designs.

When i first saw one, it seemed to me the only logical explanation of why they would build such a horrible car to replace the Granada.

To back up my theory, here we are in the future and I quite like them now.

That Sierra thing is cool^

Citroen SM?

Posted Image

Posted Image

GS

Posted Image

Mk1 Sierra -I know the concepty one is there^ but the real Mk 1 Sierra is full of future WIN

Posted Image

Fiat Strada - sort of? It's an example of the dated 'Graf' style popular in the late 70s/ early 80s

Posted Image

OK! before I go!

I Just got a Scenic dizzler in a similar 'caustic nuclear green' as that Prius.

My suggestion would be this:

Posted Image

When they first brought it out, i remember thinking that Ford had maybe so much money that they had built a time machine, taken a car design from the future that had done very well, but brought it back in time to reap in the rewards early. However the 1990's were not ready for such mental designs.

When i first saw one, it seemed to me the only logical explanation of why they would build such a horrible car to replace the Granada.

To back up my theory, here we are in the future and I quite like them now.

Totally agree! I love these - mostly because they piss off the old Ford traditionalists.

Also, say what you want about them but I love these:

Posted Image

Still think it looks cool and futuristic now that they too are ancient, I think they are getting to the shite old futuristic stage where they appeal once they start to get thin on the ground (yea, there's still bizillions of them around but hey)

How about this in the name of safety? Like an Autoshite Delorean, except it pre-dates it

Posted Image

Actually, it'd probably not be so futuristic looking without those natty doors in action, i.e seen driving down the street.

Oh yeah, are kit cars allowed? If so, then this deserves a mention:

Posted Image

I've only seen one on the road and that was about 20 years ago but I can still remember where I saw it. I think it must've been pretty groovy when they were released. Probably not sounded that futuristic though....

If that doesn't count, then surely this does:

Posted Image

I had a Scirocco behind be the other day. It started me thinking why do cars have to be so aggressive looking? I mean seriously, in the rear view mirror the Scirocco looks like a really mean bastard that will run you off the road at the earliest opportunity. They say dogs look like their owners, if cars are the same, a Scirocco driver will beat you to a pulp.

It started me thinking why do cars have to be so aggressive looking?

People want that, they say. And they may be right. A new car has to look aggressive, be sporty and fast, have a hard suspension, very firm seats and has to go around corners faster than the speed-limit. When I read german and austrian car forums, most user there want a sporty and aggressive looking car, not only young ones. Don´t ask me why, I don´t understand that too, I think it´s just fashionable at the moment. You can´t imagine how most people seem upset because the new Audi A8 for example doesnt look as aggressive as a R8. :roll:

I agree Lukas, I fell into this trap until I got a Volvo S80 Taxi. My god, it was lovely, wafty, smooth, and well made and reminded me that road cars dont need to corner at 3g. So when I get the lotto win, I'll be down the volvo dealer for some comfort thanks very much

100% agree! I testdrove two different S80 D5, it was phantastic to see a modern car that doesn´t look aggressive, that drives comfortably and not sporty at all. And that may be the difference why the S80 is so underrated in executive-car-circles.

I though the Ford Probe looked amazingly futuristic when it was new. Plus they used them (and I think an MR2 or something) during the rare "in the future" scenes of Quantum Leap. Flippy headlights = the future. If only they knew what we know now...