Norman Nippy 1959 Moped.

AdgeCutler

Well, now I have decided my Invacar Mk12e (Brian) has far too much power for me along with a far too high top speed. I have lately acquired a drop in performance from 50MPH to 30MPH with a displacement drop of 148CC from 197CC to 49CC. 

The idea is to give me some freedom of the roads whilst at the shows I attend with friends after having been steersman on their steam contrivances. You see, I like a little freedom to pop to the shop and grab a Zider or three (maybe more?), but after 8 hours on the road with no means of return without putting somebody out my thoughts turn to an old Cyclemaster that I wish I had never parted with. 

Anyhow, long story short, not a Cyclemaster but a more capable machine altogether found its way home with me. He (Eeyore) should hang nicely from the the trailer behind the steamer and allow me the freedom of the roads once we hit the showground and also be in keeping with the surroundings!

347403644_10159655714803087_5392687848768775511_n.jpg

10 hours ago, AdgeCutler said:

Well, now I have decided my Invacar Mk12e (Brian) has far too much power for me along with a far too high top speed. I have lately acquired a drop in performance from 50MPH to 30MPH with a displacement drop of 148CC from 197CC to 49CC. 

The idea is to give me some freedom of the roads whilst at the shows I attend with friends after having been steersman on their steam contrivances. You see, I like a little freedom to pop to the shop and grab a Zider or three (maybe more?), but after 8 hours on the road with no means of return without putting somebody out my thoughts turn to an old Cyclemaster that I wish I had never parted with. 

Anyhow, long story short, not a Cyclemaster but a more capable machine altogether found its way home with me. He (Eeyore) should hang nicely from the the trailer behind the steamer and allow me the freedom of the roads once we hit the showground and also be in keeping with the surroundings!

In a previous century I worked for some French company which involved driving/operating mobile laboratories so I availed myself of an moped (Mobylette) found in a Belgium skip and tied it in the little gap between the 3 phase generator and laboratory. Being constrained by drivers hours I could stop almost anywhere (this being the continent and not UK) and pop off into the countryside for a beer, frits n mayo and spot of fishing in whatever local lake/river was available - foreigner on old Mobylette being welcomed like a long lost friend in most of rural France/Belgium  It sort of becomes addictive so much later I'm still doing similar things.  Said Mobylette is that green thing.

DSCF0384.thumb.JPG.92b5a09d7d2d8d130e72b1c67cb40e57.JPG

On 7/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, castros_bro said:

In a previous century I worked for some French company which involved driving/operating mobile laboratories so I availed myself of an moped (Mobylette) found in a Belgium skip and tied it in the little gap between the 3 phase generator and laboratory. Being constrained by drivers hours I could stop almost anywhere (this being the continent and not UK) and pop off into the countryside for a beer, frits n mayo and spot of fishing in whatever local lake/river was available - foreigner on old Mobylette being welcomed like a long lost friend in most of rural France/Belgium  It sort of becomes addictive so much later I'm still doing similar things.  Said Mobylette is that green thing.

A couple of VeloSolex on the roof, nice. Sounds as though you had some great times enjoying proper pastimes in good fashion.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, castros_bro said:

A couple of VeloSolex on the roof, nice. Sounds as though you had some great times enjoying proper pastimes in good fashion.

I managed to sneak in a couple of hours going through some basic checks, cleaning and lubricating the little Norman and am pleased to report that all looks to be in good shape. No rounded nuts/bolts to report, even most of the slot heads are very unmolested. 
A turn of the peddle and she’s keen to live.

36 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

after many decades asleep indeed! not taxed for on road use, means its never been taxed since it was computerised! 

48582942_Screenshot2023-07-15at19_43_33.thumb.png.5bf07df40e52ef9e5489accffee769cd.png

means it may of been off the road even longer then Brian had been! since its clearly not been taxed since the late 70's if not earlier

did you get any history with the 'ped? :) 

9 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

after many decades asleep indeed! not taxed for on road use, means its never been taxed since it was computerised! 

48582942_Screenshot2023-07-15at19_43_33.thumb.png.5bf07df40e52ef9e5489accffee769cd.png

means it may of been off the road even longer then Brian had been! since its clearly not been taxed since the late 70's if not earlier

did you get any history with the 'ped? :) 

A bit. The very nice gentleman from whom I acquired "Eeyore" had been given him by his uncle around 40 years ago. He rode it a few times but put the bike in the shed to languish after having clipped a peddle while cornering and going ass over tit. 

I have the original buff logbook with its listed 4 or 5 previous keepers in Oxfordshire. The last time the bike was taxed is 1969. 

Clearly it has been very well cared for in the time since.

Nice little thing. Be aware that the old registration records for Oxfordshire mostly survive. They are held at Oxfordshire Records Office. Tragically the two letter allocation books were lost in a fire a long time ago. This means the records only cover the three letter sequences starting in 1934 for the City of Oxford and 1938 for the County.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:44 AM, Stinkwheel said:

awesome stuff, i had one of these in disguise (a james cadet using same villiers lump i believe) Cant beat a good autocycle

My dad said he a James Cadet when he met my mum, I'm sure he said the number plate was OK 8. 

3 hours ago, Blunderguts said:

Nice little thing. Be aware that the old registration records for Oxfordshire mostly survive. They are held at Oxfordshire Records Office. Tragically the two letter allocation books were lost in a fire a long time ago. This means the records only cover the three letter sequences starting in 1934 for the City of Oxford and 1938 for the County.

I’ve got the old buff logbook but in 1996 the previous owner applied for the V5, he just chose not to tax the vehicle as he had no intent to use it.

It also came with a handbook and I’ve already found a Villiers 3k handbook to keep with them. 

All the paperwork is now with the DVLA to bring everything up to date and road ready.

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

I’ve got the old buff logbook but in 1996 the previous owner applied for the V5, he just chose not to tax the vehicle as he had no intent to use it.

It also came with a handbook and I’ve already found a Villiers 3k handbook to keep with them. 

All the paperwork is now with the DVLA to bring everything up to date and road ready.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I tracked down the daughter of the original owner of my 1960 Lambretta using the address location on the buff logbook to begin my enquiries. Could be worth an ask with yours too. 

Cool little scooter which has clearly been really well stored for those decades of slumber. 

19 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

which paperwork? I hope you did not send off any old Buff logbooks or old V5's, as especially the later they are unlikely to be return sadly

according to my digging, its previous V5 to the 2023 one was one issued in 2006

19 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

but in 1996 the previous owner applied for the V5,

interesting! as the DVLA buff logbook to V5 scheme ended in 1983, after the fact it became a lot more difficult to reclaim a registration mark etc until the V765 scheme, but vehicles registered under that scheme generally show a used before date of first registration marker

which I dont see for Eeyore's DVLA record 

so I am quite curious now as to what the deal is :), if you still have the 2006 (or any older V5's) there should in theory be a date next to the keeper count, it should in theory say "No of Former Keepers: NONE since *such-n-such date*"

they sadly dropped the computerisation date on later V5's but I *think* a 2006 V5 should still have that data....

28 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha! Snap! But that first owner isn't what it appears to be....

Untitled.thumb.png.a77f737285d08796af0e78125c32ba46.png

Robert AKA Bob Faulkner is/was a motorcycle dealer. Don't know if he is still alive.

1 hour ago, Blunderguts said:

Ha! Snap! But that first owner isn't what it appears to be....

Untitled.thumb.png.a77f737285d08796af0e78125c32ba46.png

Robert AKA Bob Faulkner is/was a motorcycle dealer. Don't know if he is still alive.

Interesting piece of information there, thank you. 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

which paperwork? I hope you did not send off any old Buff logbooks or old V5's, as especially the later they are unlikely to be return sadly

according to my digging, its previous V5 to the 2023 one was one issued in 2006

interesting! as the DVLA buff logbook to V5 scheme ended in 1983, after the fact it became a lot more difficult to reclaim a registration mark etc until the V765 scheme, but vehicles registered under that scheme generally show a used before date of first registration marker

which I dont see for Eeyore's DVLA record 

so I am quite curious now as to what the deal is :), if you still have the 2006 (or any older V5's) there should in theory be a date next to the keeper count, it should in theory say "No of Former Keepers: NONE since *such-n-such date*"

they sadly dropped the computerisation date on later V5's but I *think* a 2006 V5 should still have that data....

The old V5 had to be sent to change keeper but I can tell you that it stated 0 previous keepers and that the buff logbook is stamped thusly:

image.jpg

45 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

Interesting piece of information there, thank you. 

The old V5 had to be sent to change keeper but I can tell you that it stated 0 previous keepers and that the buff logbook is stamped thusly:

image.jpg

fascinating! its a shame about the old V5 being lost, for future reference, you can do a keeper change online with just the 11 digit number, it allows you to keep the old V5 for the history file :) which is important not just from a DVLA-Nerd POV but also just a general history POV since sadly previous keeper details are no longer included on new V5's since GDPR became a thing

but I still got to wonder about that 1996 date, I almost wonder its supposed to read 11-07-1976 and someone clicked it over 2 notches too far? thats why I am wondering about what the old V5 said for computerisation date :) 

however alls not lost, because the last V5 issued before current was in 2006, however the vehicle was obviously computerised at some point before that date, so there should be 1 even older V5 be it from 1976 or 1996, do you know where that might of gone off too? 

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

fascinating! its a shame about the old V5 being lost, for future reference, you can do a keeper change online with just the 11 digit number, it allows you to keep the old V5 for the history file :) which is important not just from a DVLA-Nerd POV but also just a general history POV since sadly previous keeper details are no longer included on new V5's since GDPR became a thing

but I still got to wonder about that 1996 date, I almost wonder its supposed to read 11-07-1976 and someone clicked it over 2 notches too far? thats why I am wondering about what the old V5 said for computerisation date :) 

however alls not lost, because the last V5 issued before current was in 2006, however the vehicle was obviously computerised at some point before that date, so there should be 1 even older V5 be it from 1976 or 1996, do you know where that might of gone off too? 

I couldn't do the keeper change online, I did try but the old reference number was one digit too short and the system would not recognise it. 

Here's some more for your interest Dez, I've done the first two as cropped screenshots to avoid sharing the previous owners address:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 6.48.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 6.48.08 PM.png

361413699_611105947785347_2170466607634818960_n.jpg

1 hour ago, AdgeCutler said:

I couldn't do the keeper change online, I did try but the old reference number was one digit too short and the system would not recognise it. 

Here's some more for your interest Dez, I've done the first two as cropped screenshots to avoid sharing the previous owners address:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 6.48.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 6.48.08 PM.png

361413699_611105947785347_2170466607634818960_n.jpg

thats genuinely fascinating! 

I mean just as a sanity check, I cant see any markers on my end, but just incase my tools are wrong, when you get the V5 back id love to know if theres anything in the Special notes section :) 

anyways please post some more pictures of Eeyore being worked on/fettled/ridden about the yard scaring the birds :), before someone shouts at me for Hijacking your thread for DVLA research LOL

Okay, as requested by LBF some tinker notes to avoid him being reprimanded 😉
Further work has involved flushing the fuel tank, cock, pipe and filters. The carburettor was fully cleaned and blown out and a new gasket made for the chamber tops, the gasket was incredibly fiddly due to its size. It has also been noted that the throttle cable was hanging on by only two strands and so new components should hopefully be winging their way to me soon. 
On the ignition side of things I noted there is no ignition kill wire despite the wiring diagram stating that one should be present and the handlebar switch incorporating a kill button. The flywheel/magneto popped off of its taper much more easily than the majority of Villiers engines I’ve worked on and indeed with the backplate removed I could see no trace of the wire. Another fiddly job, a new wire was soldered into the low tension at the points. Everything was replaced carefully and the new wire pushed through the cover plate grommet hole where it was always supposed to reside. My guess is that many years ago new ignition components were fitted but it was felt unnecessary to struggle as I did with the extra wire, after all the engine can be killed at the throttle if adjusted to suit. I however want to be able to let go the throttle and still have the bike tick over, as Norman intended.

Of course while the flywheel was off the points were cleaned and the gap set and also the felt cam wiper had its first few drops of oil in many a year.

610324E9-1577-4D64-A02F-AEE97F86FDF4.jpeg

E01EBA1B-94D5-44CD-AC26-1BC7F0236A73.jpeg

89836B15-A197-426D-8192-DDA6EEFC88F1.jpeg

F1CFAED9-BF20-449E-AD92-1F778C49579F.jpeg

What a lovely little thing, nice to have some history with it too. Usually these things sit in the back of a shed for years and lose their ID etc and end up with no back story.

I had a Norman Super Lido when I was 16 (which was a case in point of no ID/no history). Very similar but with a bit more tinware. Sadly the extra tinware just got in the way every time you needed to fix something which turned out to be a very regular occurrence. It wasn't the most reliable thing on the planet but I absolutely loved it. Sachs 2 speed engine rather than a Villiers so it went quite well too, certainly quicker than my mates who had modern restricted mopeds!

I have promised myself another old moped sometime soon.

CIMG3534.JPG

On 7/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, AdgeCutler said:

DAMN we made some good looking stuff back in the day, actual design - not just something that ticks boxes!!

• 5 weeks later...