Ural 650 Something or other

purplebargeken

On 6/7/2023 at 2:17 PM, Bren said:

I remember reading used motorcycle guide years ago.

There was a quiz - sure one of the questions was in reference to one of these - I remember something along the line of "diseased whore of the urals."

I really miss the UMG.

Me too, up to about 2000 when Fowler had enough and sold it (pres. fucked off to Thailand?), then it sucked.

Still got all those mags in the loft. Prob. going to ebay them soon as having a clearout.

Believe UMG used to refer to Ural as Urinal?

Urals' are still available, brand new, in the UK -https://www.ural-uk.com/

image.thumb.png.016684f3bc64cff3bcbb37514e33222d.png

They recommend contacting them for info on pre 2018 models. Ural moved the factory, lock stock and barrel, from Ukraine to Kazakhstan last year due to 'difficulties' in Ukraine.

The Ural should not be confused with the very similar Dnepr. From my limited experience of Soviet motorbikes (Minsk and Planeta) I wouldn't be surprised if some parts are interchangeable (indicator units etc), but I think the engine of the Dnepr was quite different from the one fitted to the Ural.

From memory, the engines and transmissions were the difficult bits to interchange individual parts, but whole units could be swapped over with a bit of finagling. Breaking Point in Aberdeen used to be one of the go-to places for Ural, as they sold them new for a while; not so sure about nowadays. 

3 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Photo thingy...

20230612_101712.jpg

You can haz reverse lever.

50 minutes ago, martc said:

The Ural should not be confused with the very similar Dnepr. From my limited experience of Soviet motorbikes (Minsk and Planeta) I wouldn't be surprised if some parts are interchangeable (indicator units etc), but I think the engine of the Dnepr was quite different from the one fitted to the Ural.

Different factories, different design and little interchangeability; some aspects of the Dnepr are arguably better engineered but there's not much in it and the quality from both was/is patchy like 1970s british gear.

• 4 months later...

Jesus I need to get out more!! How did I miss this thread originally 🙄🙄 

I'm hoping I can get on with most of the things you were going to do but she won't be restored, more an oily rag runner

Was it F2 motorcycles that you found in the UK to supply parts Ken? I have found a good place but they are in the US of A ☹️ 

The grenade alternator is something I'm going to try and sort but the Japanese Nippon conversation is horrifically priced. It seems a more cost effective* solution is to fit an older L424 alternator as it bolts straight on and only needs a small wiring change, what change I can't get to the bottom of just yet 🤷 

15 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

The side stand is a bit of a liability. It gave way and caused the damage to the headlamp whilst at the so called bike fixers place. 

I did notice it had seemed to have had too many vodkas! I tightened the bolts up and it's way better now. But I tend not to use side stands much, I found the centre stand hidden away so it's on that now. I'll see if I can find a way of getting my foot onto it better as there doesn't appear to be a kick plate for it 🤷