Cars which have survived by mass, and those that haven't

RoverFolkUs

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Probably worth rooting out a 2.0 Turbo, rare machine.

[prick at car show] My Grampa had one of those back in the day, didn't half shift. [/prick at car show]

IIRC, the early C's with this engine were mostly the 'Edition 100' cars for the Vauxhall Centenary. My Grampa's was SG53FTY. How I remember that and not what I had for dinner about two hours ago is beyond me.

HHR Rover 400s were mainly sold to fleets if I remember correctly. They weren’t that desirable even when new. Private buyers, most of whom probably owned and traded in the R8 400 or maybe even the old box like 200, might have hung on until the 45 was launched. The early 45s, before Project Drive really got going, were rather nice. Although I suspect the target market, even by that point, was mainly giffers who couldn’t stretch to a 75. 

Would be interesting to compare to the MG branded cars, I suspect these have had a rather higher attrition rate for various reasons, including a much higher crash rate than the Rovers (at least for the ZRs). 

Im on holiday  on the coast at the mo and a lot of Micra k12s have caught my eye despite their reputation, (qu a lot in good nick)maybe its just me its hardly a sampled survey maybe its just me, but in the humdrum supermini class they seem a lot more numerous to Fiesta mk6 s , Yarii etc, ive got a Swift circa that era and i know they sold less see hardly any, but seem in good nick when spotted.

(Noticed qu a lot of Jazz s but thats prolly just me)

Studying relative attrition rates is really interesting well done that thread!!!

I mentioned elsewhere on here a while back that I hadn't seen a MK1 C4 for a long time. Come to think of it I haven't seen a C2 for a while either.

A 2.0 Turbo Vectra C or Signum is a good one to get but never common. It's the same engine as in a Saab 93 and you can get the same Noobtune map for £100 giving 220bhp/360nm of torque. 

I still see quite a few MK1 Renault Meganes. Great cars and pretty reliable, before Renaults all went arse for tit in about 2003.

15 hours ago, Budgetbond said:

And to add, spotted only a few k11 micras but actually prolly more than anything else of that age but most of them looking completely tat, but despite that still obviously being used for transportation

I believe that they were the most scrappaged car a dozen years ago. Apparently, a change to the MOT rules put many of them off the road as well.

7 hours ago, maxxo said:

citroen C5s have vanished

to the point where i suspect there’s only 2 left locally now including mine

The mk1 is gone in Ireland, but there's 3 2006-7 C5 lls I see around. A lot of car disappearance here is due to two things. First the tax system changed in 2008, from capacity based to CO2 emissions based, so a lot of older diesels are ridiculous amounts of money to tax. Secondly, about 10years ago the insurance companies started to charge mental premiums for cars over twelve years old, tripling the price in some cases.

A good time to see old stuff is weekdays after 9.30 and before 3 when they come out for trips to the post office, doctors, garden centres etc. Surprising what's out there still running. Often kept in a garage which helps survival. Saw an early Nissan Bluebird estate this week. 

45 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I would imagine rot killed off most K11 Micras, that and again they were popular on the takeaway runs. 

Seen two this week. Both very faded red. The lady we bought our house off has one too,again red, which fits the above, giffer, kept in a garage, criteria. 

Yarii around here seem popular on the post 9.30 roads (used to be the Honda Jazz circa 2005 version but they've all died off). A fair few 206/207s pottering around too - other than that just a mish mash of older stuff - there's not a lot of pre-2010 and pre-2000 are missing pretty much.

30 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

A good time to see old stuff is weekdays after 9.30 and before 3 when they come out for trips to the post office, doctors, garden centres etc. Surprising what's out there still running. Often kept in a garage which helps survival. Saw an early Nissan Bluebird estate this week. 

Seen two this week. Both very faded red. The lady we bought our house off has one too,again red, which fits the above, giffer, kept in a garage, criteria. 

There's a strong correlation between 'giffer' and 'kept in garage'. Giffers are probably more likely to own a house with a garage in the first place (let's face it, who can afford such a thing these days) plus are more likely to actually keep the car in it rather than filling it with cardboard boxes, bikes, etc etc.

So really you are looking at cars that appeal to a certain demographic. 

There is a big variation in what age of car can be reliably used as a daily depending on where in the country you are. As @EyesWeldedShut concludes pre-2010 are now thinning out here (rural Aberdeenshire) mainly due to roads that can be randomly salted for 6 months of the year. I've noticed the cutoff seems to be 15-17 years so at the moment 55 - 06 plated cars are coming to the end.

Go down to rural Devon or Dorset and I suspect the lack of salt probably gives cars another 5 -10 years with pricey repairs being the main killer rather than rust.

14 minutes ago, 5speedracer said:

There is a big variation in what age of car can be reliably used as a daily depending on where in the country you are. As @EyesWeldedShut concludes pre-2010 are now thinning out here (rural Aberdeenshire) mainly due to roads that can be randomly salted for 6 months of the year. I've noticed the cutoff seems to be 15-17 years so at the moment 55 - 06 plated cars are coming to the end.

Go down to rural Devon or Dorset and I suspect the lack of salt probably gives cars another 5 -10 years with pricey repairs being the main killer rather than rust.

I'd go for that - our 08 plated Bini here in West Wales is getting crispier every Winter (most recent casualties - both front brake dust shields are no longer with us) - previously, whilst residing in the 'English Riviera' (Torbay) - never saw much snow or ice or salt and my cars seemed to last longer. 
Local indy garages here also seem to be stacking up the pre 2010 cars awaiting parts/scrapping - latest casualty is neighbour's 2005 Kia that has unobtanium parts

33 minutes ago, 5speedracer said:

The new ULEZ is putting scads of lovely old 90s or older London based cars on the market as people are compelled to buy something exempt from the new charges. Suburban London was at one point a spotters delight for old cars, especially as London's fantastic mass transit systems meant quite a few were parked on driveways for weeks at a time. Black cab drivers usually had somefing special to take er indoors out in, keeping their taxi company in front of their house.

A year ago when analysis was done (2021 data)

In 1996 there were 393,944 MK1 Mondeos.

In 2021 3,877 (3,242 SORN)

Just under 1% (of which only 0.16% were taxed)