A car that no one here has owned or driven?

sdkrc

15 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I thought they only sold about 15 of the things 🤣

They were both very good deals and a competent enough car but not really the same quality as the Mitsubishi they were based upon.

The Blue one was a lowly 32K miles and giffer owned, cost a whopping £550 at roughly 6 years of age. Bought it at BCA auctions at Ingleston.

The Silver one was fairly rough and ready but very reliable, took it over to the Netherlands for a couple of year while I was working there. Cost £425 from an Irish lad in Granton (Edinburgh). The car wouldn't start when I went to pick it up and said the battery was flat. He told me the car was too light for his liking and wanted to buy a more solid Volvo.. yeah OK 🤣 What that actually meant, was that the car had a dodgy ignition barrel and you had to tilt the key slightly upwards (he had not figured that out) and wanted shot of it ASAP.  Once you knew the technique the car started each and every time without fail. I told the next owner about the technique - an Austrian chap that bought it  and everybody was happy. It was then passed onto one of his employees and I'm led to believe it eventually retired on a farm, as a run around vehicle, in the Hartlepool area?

Both of them were the 10 Year Anniversary Editions with AC/Spoiler etc and the low tax 1.3 engine.

I bought a Hyundai Coupe after the Silver one and it felt like a Lexus in comparison 🤣

@EyesWeldedShutsuggested the Pug 1007.  I can't remember what the rules are for this thread but my son used to work for a Citroen/Peugeot dealership and came home in a 1007 which he had for a couple of days whilst his car was being fixed.  I did not drive it but had a ride of about 15 miles and was impressed. Getting aboard was like climbing into a miniature coach.  I almost considered buying one but stories about malfunctioning sliding doors put me off.

I ended up buying a new Mitsubishi i (3cyl, 660cc turbocharged, conventional automatic) in 2007 and kept it for 82000 miles. A remarkably practical little car in which we toured Wales and Scotland - so that's off the list as well. 

100_0712.jpeg

6 minutes ago, RayMK said:

@EyesWeldedShutsuggested the Pug 1007.  I can't remember what the rules are for this thread but my son used to work for a Citroen/Peugeot dealership and came home in a 1007 which he had for a couple of days whilst his car was being fixed.  I did not drive it but had a ride of about 15 miles and was impressed. Getting aboard was like climbing into a miniature coach.  I almost considered buying one but stories about malfunctioning sliding doors put me off

Not really relevant but I saw a 1007 on the road this morning. It was bright yellow and looked rather funky.

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

And now for the R12, or something that had the same engine. No one has mentioned it yet, the Volvo 66 GL Estate, complete with rubber band transmission. My mother had a 1976 in 1981. Driving it was a bit like driving a car with a slipping clutch. You'd put your foot down, the engine would go to about 3,500 rpm, and then it would accelerate, but the engine would stay at 3,500 rpm. It wasn't a bad car by 1980's standards, it would do about 85mph, had slightly soggy suspension, but plenty of room for chucking the garden waste into and going to the tip. I've not seen one of those for years. 

I bought a DAF 66 estate from ACA years ago.  One of the ex-Stondon cars.

IMG_20160827_135446.jpg

Sold it to purplebargeken in the end - delivered it to his place in north London, which was a memorable drive.  That didn't have the same engine as an R12 though, it had the smaller 1108cc engine.

@MiniMinorMk3: I've owned a Volvo 66 estate and a saloon.  When the estate rusted beyond economic repair I extracted its good engine (Renault) and variomatic transmission and bought the saloon.  That threw a big end, so in went the estate's engine which was fine until the saloon rusted beyond economic repair about 2 years later.  The spare transmission ended up going as scrap.  No-one wanted it.  Not bad cars to drive but thirsty for their size.  I liked the CVT so much that my current 'modern' Mitsubishi Mirage Juro has one.  45K miles so far and it's still fine.  Only 2300rpm at 60mph and 47mpg average thanks to modern technology, compared with the Volvo's fairly constant 3500rpm and 32mpg.

The only photo of the Volvos that I can find on this computer is the extreme tail of our white 66 saloon (creeping into the left margin 😀). The Citroen and Kia Pride were mine as well.  Edit: I've found another view on my old MacBook which still shows the CX but has the Volvo 66 in view, plus one of the Volvo 66 estate with my daughter in the back seat. She is now 37.

796191669_Screenshot2023-05-04at22_34_18.png

Scan 120.jpeg

Scan 131.jpeg

Edited by RayMK
Photos added

11 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Am I the only one to have owned a Sinclair C5 on here? I like desperate crap, but this was utterly hopeless. 

@Zelandeth post a picture of yours on top of/next to TPA, just to show off :mrgreen:

(somehow i dont think your 2 plastic 3 wheelers have ever been photographed together?)

I think this forum must have a 100% claim on shite over the years. 
I reckon to truly answer the question you need to go to the complete opposite end of the market. 
Anyone owned or driven a Phantom 8?
image.thumb.png.073b2c43517f41213087a0b781948272.png
Driven one but somehow avoided ownership

My nautical experience certainly helped.

3 hours ago, Mine's a Leganza! said:

FSO Polonez

In the early 80's I seem to recall FSO showrooms appearing everywhere and there must have been quite some marketing to try and shift them. The nearest I got was going to a showroom to view one but walking away with my money and my dignity.

FSO~Polonez~(1).jpg

Yup, a then brand new G plate my uncle bought to replace his dilapidated Mk1 Cavalier. It was as bad as I was expecting, the interior in particular was horrid and stank of weird East European plastic.

12 hours ago, motorpunk said:

Am I the only one to have owned a Sinclair C5 on here? I like desperate crap, but this was utterly hopeless. 

No, there was the fella that transported his around in an Allegro Estate, imported an early left hooker R5 , worked as a salesman for Big Motoring World or similar posh secondhand car dealer.

Also your autocorrect has inserted an extraneous ‘h’ into a word in your Phantom post.

23 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

No, there was the fella that transported his around in an Allegro Estate, imported an early left hooker R5 , worked as a salesman for Big Motoring World or similar posh secondhand car dealer.

Also your autocorrect has inserted an extraneous ‘h’ into a word in your Phantom post.

AlexG? @Alexg

4 hours ago, Mine's a Leganza! said:

FSO Polonez

In the early 80's I seem to recall FSO showrooms appearing everywhere and there must have been quite some marketing to try and shift them. The nearest I got was going to a showroom to view one but walking away with my money and my dignity.

FSO~Polonez~(1).jpg

Allow me to refer you to my avatar!  My car and my dad's, in about 1995.

Here's another forgotten early '80s car that I had a drive of, the Renault Fuego GTX

Renault%20Fuego%20(4).jpg

I had a boss who had one and I got to drive it a couple of times. It felt like the future after only experiencing aging VWs and Fords at the time. I can not remember the last time I spotted one in the wild or at a show. They are probably just as rare as a Renault 15 or 17, the '70s forerunner to the Fuego. 

5 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Allow me to refer you to my avatar!  My car and my dad's, in about 1995.

I got a lift in a fairly new one around 1990 and felt really awkward when the winder broke off when I wound down the window. I was front seat passenger so couldn’t hide it! He just said there’s always something coming off so don’t worry😆

My uncle (the same one who ended up with the Proton Persona Compact) used to have a Fuego, the main thing I remember is when he was packing it to go on holiday somewhere, shut the tailgate and the glass clamshell smashed everywhere - he went MENTAL.

My grandma also had a Peugeot 1007, in silver - my dad inherited it when she passed away and he drove it for a short while, until the auto gearbox packed up.