Taxing a shit heap from 1 April?

MJK 24

Sadly, big increases coming in the cost of road tax from next month.  ie Saturday!

Pre 2001 over 1,550cc is currently £295 a year. From Saturday that leaps to £325!!!

You can however tax online before 1 April, starting from 1 April at the old rate.   If that makes sense?!

You just tick the box requesting your tax to start from April instead of March.

10 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Sadly, big increases coming in the cost of road tax from next month.  ie Saturday!

Pre 2001 over 1,550cc is currently £295 a year. From Saturday that leaps to £325!!!

You can however tax online before 1 April, starting from 1 April at the old rate.   If that makes sense?!

You just tick the box requesting your tax to start from April instead of March.

Fuck sake. I've got two lots of tax coming up and I'm away for a few weeks without access to the log books

This shit really is taking the fun out of motoring 

It’s been going up a tenner a year for everything other than those that are free or sub £30 a year for ages. I taxed the Carlton yesterday for the 1st of April but it’s only got 3 years left of paying tax before it’s free, so they can go fuck themselves after that. 

10 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Its only a couple of quid extra a month in reality and is a drop in the ocean of the costs of running a car.

Still a useful tip though.

More annoyingly diesel is 1.45 elsewhere in the country but 1.69 up here, which has a far greater impact.

Really? I filled up the other day and it was 1.65 pretty much everywhere I passed. 

Just paid mine for the year on the mondog, can’t remember what it was last year but it’s £220 which fortunately is covered by increase in interest rate on cash in the bank so it’s neither here nor there. Then again mortgage has gone up £50 a month but in the scheme of things I shouldn’t complain. 

I just scraped it then for the Volvo! My tax was due in April, so I quickly stumped up for 12 months at the old rate before the price went up.

Luckily my other two are tax & MOT exempt so they can lick my arse on those. Not much longer really for the Volvo, but I’ll just have to make do until then. Robbing twats!

On 3/31/2023 at 6:32 AM, sutty2006 said:

It’s been going up a tenner a year for everything other than those that are free or sub £30 a year for ages. I taxed the Carlton yesterday for the 1st of April but it’s only got 3 years left of paying tax before it’s free, so they can go fuck themselves after that. 

I just hope that things don't change on that front...and things are the same in three years time. One of my cars should go tax free this year, but I have been sweating bricks these last few years wondering if things would change. Lets hope the historic vehicle concessions and the rolling eligibility continue in terms of tax (and MOTs)

But my deep fear if that this may yet change...the Government recently held consultations on the MOT exemption policy. Those that do MOT post 40yrs often call for other to do as they do. It is easy to imagine how this will be used, with a little shroud waving, to revise policy in the next few years...and tax will follow this as sure as night follows day.

I own a couple of historic cars that do no more than 200 miles each a year. The full tax rate (even for 6 months) and a year's MOT is inevitably going to make taking these out of the garage a harder choice each year.  Lets all hope the current policy continues. It is good for classic cars IMHO.

2 hours ago, maxustaxus said:

I just hope that things don't change on that front...and things are the same in three years time. One of my cars should go tax free this year, but I have been sweating bricks these last few years wondering if things would change. Lets hope the historic vehicle concessions and the rolling eligibility continue in terms of tax (and MOTs)

But my deep fear if that this may yet change...the Government recently held consultations on the MOT exemption policy. Those that do MOT post 40yrs often call for other to do as they do. It is easy to imagine how this will be used, with a little shroud waving, to revise policy in the next few years...and tax will follow this as sure as night follows day.

I own a couple of historic cars that do no more than 200 miles each a year. The full tax rate (even for 6 months) and a year's MOT is inevitably going to make taking these out of the garage a harder choice each year.  Lets all hope the current policy continues. It is good for classic cars IMHO.

I too hope they keep the rolling 40 year tax exemption, as I have two cars close to 40 (36 and 37)  which I have patiently been waiting for the exemption to come in. I’m not fussed about MOT exemption, I’d rather a second set of eyes check my work out. And it’s only 40 quid a year….. not a month…. So it’s nothing really. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!! 

38 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

The MR2 is up from £290 to £320. Great.

It doesn't seem quite as bad when I see my brother's M3 is going to be £695 annually though...

Screenshot_20230401_231016_Chrome.thumb.jpg.41cdf02f598b39bd2ced5aecf47ef9d7.jpg

Crikey, that difference between band K and L.