Cheap and nasty E46 project for future silliness

cozmcrae

12 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I love these. Had a 325ti in similar spec and latterly had a 318ti m sport which I also loved despite it trying to kill its own engine. 

I've been lucky with the engine in this one. I had both an E36 and E34 engine blow on me so I've been probably more paranoid than most with this car. 

21 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Not very well up on BMWs, but bought a 52reg 325 Ci auto last year and passed it to my son who has done good things with it. Have also got a thread running. Would that be the same engine? 

Yes it's the same engine. Same car, just with a sloshbox and a bigger arse  🤣 

4 hours ago, cozmcrae said:

Yes it's the same engine. Same car, just with a sloshbox and a bigger arse  🤣 

Read somewhere that the Compacts had a different, simpler rear suspension to reduce costs and give more boot space. HTBC though. Would quite like to get hold of another myself to play with. Son seems to have built up quite a lot of knowledge on them as well. He would prefer a manual ,but I really like the auto. 

14 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Read somewhere that the Compacts had a different, simpler rear suspension to reduce costs and give more boot space. HTBC though. Would quite like to get hold of another myself to play with. Son seems to have built up quite a lot of knowledge on them as well. He would prefer a manual ,but I really like the auto. 

All the rear suspension parts I changed were the same as the longer models. I changed the shocks, springs, control arms and the upper and lower control bushes. Everything I rear was that they are the same. Only the final drive is shorter. 

8 hours ago, cozmcrae said:

All the rear suspension parts I changed were the same as the longer models. I changed the shocks, springs, control arms and the upper and lower control bushes. Everything I rear was that they are the same. Only the final drive is shorter. 

Think this has been discussed before. Could be I'm thinking of the previous model. Like I say, I'm no expert, but interested. Coincidentally, the lady we bought ours off, phoned me up yesterday and was very happy to hear it was still going strong. 

• 4 months later...