The Autoshite Racing Car

St.Jude

Inspired a bit by this video about a fairly wealthy American owning and driving his own F1 car:

The thought occurred to me what would the perfect Autoshite race car would be?

Personally, for me, it'd be the Tyrrell 019 - which I think is a better looking car than the Jordan 191.

jean-alesi-tyrrell-019-ford-1.thumb.jpg.a851faaba3406751ceb5e58cc017b331.jpg

I think followed up by the FSO Polonez rally car.

stratospolonez.jpg.2bd32c9215280571c46e399951ba60e2.jpg

Got to be careful with the Polonez Group B stuff though - this specific one that I'm on about is the one where they essentially took the arse end of a Lancia Stratos and threw it under the Polonez shell. Total death trap to drive, it'd be a lot of fun.

I've wittered about these before, but to me they're a pretty autoshite way of going really fucking fast round a circuit

Superkarts | Wheel

"Powered by a two-stroke 250 cc engine producing 75 kW (100 hp) for an overall weight including the driver of 205 kilograms (452 lb), superkarts have a power/weight ratio (including the driver) of approximately 365 W/kg (490 hp/tonne)(0.22 hp/lb), or closer to 730 W/kg (980 hp/tonne)(0.44 hp/lb) without the driver, which is about the equivalent of a midget car, or an open-wheel A1 Grand Prix car. Superkarts can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (60 mph) in less than 3 seconds with a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).[8] Their low weight and good downforce make for excellent cornering[9] and braking abilities.[10] A superkart is capable of braking from 160 km/h (100 mph) to standstill in around 2 seconds, and taking corners at nearly 3 g"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superkart

49 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

850 wagon, but with a mismatched tailgate and winter tyres cos we got them for pennies off eBay. And painted beige with brown and russet accents, which any AS racer would have to be. 

Rickard-Rydell-racing-the-Volvo-850-Estate-in-the-1994-British-Touring-Car-Championship-both-will-be-reunited-for-the-Diamond-Jubilee-BTCC-Parade-copy.jpg

@reb - you said you wanted a track 850...

57 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

850 wagon, but with a mismatched tailgate and winter tyres cos we got them for pennies off eBay. And painted beige with brown and russet accents, which any AS racer would have to be. 

Rickard-Rydell-racing-the-Volvo-850-Estate-in-the-1994-British-Touring-Car-Championship-both-will-be-reunited-for-the-Diamond-Jubilee-BTCC-Parade-copy.jpg

I think just two of those were built for the 1994 BTCC season, one is now in Volvo's museum in Sweden and I think the other one is in a private collection.  You may notice that the Montego estate I posted is in a tribute livery to this car - the car that was a meme before the word "meme" was invented!

I may be completely wrong here, but I believe I read that it was only partly a publicity stunt and the car was partly designed as a test bed for FWD ahead of the 850 saloon being introduced the following year, the team (TWR) having been used to working with RWD cars.

9 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I think just two of those were built for the 1994 BTCC season, one is now in Volvo's museum in Sweden and I think the 
I may be completely wrong here, but I believe I read that it was only partly a publicity stunt and the car was partly designed as a test bed for FWD ahead of the 850 saloon being introduced the following year, the team (TWR) having been used to working with RWD cars.

The story I heard was that when they turned up at the factory to pick up the shells they didn't have any saloon shells ready, so they just took some estates instead.