Rover P4 110 - Gone

SiC

• SiC changed the title to Rover P4 110 - New arrival!

Awesome! cant say I was expecting that! if anything I was wondering if you where getting @Andrew353w's Skoda, but that did not fit your style, of Smaller british cars

but neither does this! looking forward to hearing how you get on! I do quite like an old Rover :) 

although I am quite worried by this,

21 minutes ago, SiC said:

There are a few bits and pieces to do however I intend to keep bodywork jobs to an absolute minimum. Maybe patch that hole by the filler cap.

in that I know exactly how you work! and im half expecting by the end of this week to be looking at a massive photo montage of

"so I went to patch the hole by the filler cap, aaaaand ended up replacing the entire bottom 6 inches of the car, completely fabricated my own floor pans as well"

as an aside nice original mark, I have seen so many of these on age related marks, nice to see one still original in that regard! :)

the physical rear plate looks to be even original to the car? or period at least! got any close up pictures of that for me and @MorrisItalSLX to oggle at?

Just went to tax it and found it's not been set to historic yet. Means I can't go for a drive until the V5 is back. Gah!

Well I could but I'm not paying out for a few days tax to then get the V5 and pop down to the post office to change over. The gov gets enough of my money as it is...

4 minutes ago, Clunk said:

Love the rust on the bumper!

Mrs SiC first comment when I sent it to her was that I said it was in good condition but the front is all rusty! While I appreciate the patina look it has, the front bumper does make it look scruffy rather than well worn. New chrome part will be too much.

Plan is to wire wheel the front bumper and give my Halfords can of Chrome spray paint a go. I can't make it any worse!

Sprayed painted chrome probably will have the rust break through after a while outside and weather it anyway. Alternative is powder coating.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Noice. I remember PC doing a P4 restoration around 1997ish. 

I remember that one as well, I was so into pc at the time that I can still remember that he collected it with a blue 3 door Range Rover with his “long suffering wife, Morag”

Pc also did a buyers guide around the same time with a fit bird and a p4 on the front cover.

8 minutes ago, HMC said:

I remember that one as well, I was so into pc at the time that I can still remember that he collected it with a blue 3 door Range Rover with his “long suffering wife, Morag”

Pc also did a buyers guide around the same time with a fit bird and a p4 on the front cover.

I thought it was just mentalists like me that remembered details like that. I note that later issues made mention of a different wife so presumably she’d had enough of him bringing shite home and fucked off. 

That's lovely, I could only afford the base spec 95, but they are lovely to drive, and the quality of the engineering and materials is impressive.

I use mine year round, though fitting a 'colonies spec' radiator was the best thing I did, it sat happily in traffic in 38deg temps last summer. Can't say I was as comfortable as the engine though...

That is fantastic! Very well bought. Nothing screams best of British like one of these!

Has the chrome all actually gone on the bumper? Or is it rusty stains? Might be worth having a go at it with wire wool and chrome polish, just see what it comes up like. I did it last year on a nasty rusty patch on the Mercury back bumper and it’s surprising how it comes up. Failing that a better used one might be a good bet. Banger racers still love these so they might be willing to swap.

Anyway, can’t wait to see more on this!

57 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

Beautiful Car !!! Some many years ago I remember a 2/- coin (My age showing, thats a 10p piece for the youngsters) sitting on its edge on the rocker cover while its idling, and not moving at all.  Which model had the twin SU carbs?

I think some very early p4s with the older engine and the later 105s were the only ones with twin carbs.

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

Re chroming the original would probably be a better job than a repro part. Trouble is, it will probably cost the same or more.

Modern repro doesn't exist for these unfortunately. Re chroming I always hear as expensive. Plus a really shiny front bumper would probably look a bit weird with the patina it has!

2 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Good old buses these, good choice. I have a 105S to break for spares, think the front bumper is OK but no time to actually do anything for the next 3-4 months. Will check the bumper though when it stops raining

That would be incredibly useful thanks! Even if it's a bit scruffy, it's going to be heaps better than this one.

2 hours ago, Surface Rust said:

That's lovely, I could only afford the base spec 95, but they are lovely to drive, and the quality of the engineering and materials is impressive.

I use mine year round, though fitting a 'colonies spec' radiator was the best thing I did, it sat happily in traffic in 38deg temps last summer. Can't say I was as comfortable as the engine though...

I actually prefer the earlier flat fronted cars. I believe these are usually cheaper than the more desirable later more powerful cars. 

If I was a YouTuber though, this would be tagged with "THE CHEAPEST WORKING P4 IN THE WORLD". That said, even though it was cheap, it still needs spending on it like tyres and possibly brake work (servo might be confusing me though).

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

That is fantastic! Very well bought. Nothing screams best of British like one of these!

Has the chrome all actually gone on the bumper? Or is it rusty stains? Might be worth having a go at it with wire wool and chrome polish, just see what it comes up like. I did it last year on a nasty rusty patch on the Mercury back bumper and it’s surprising how it comes up. Failing that a better used one might be a good bet. Banger racers still love these so they might be willing to swap.

Anyway, can’t wait to see more on this!

It's peeing it down outside so probably not going to get a chance today to properly look. However from memory the chrome has flaked off the bumper. 

This isn't intending to be a keeper and something to tinker with then for a bit of spring/summer fun. That said, I'm already quite smitten with it!

1 hour ago, bobdisk said:

Beautiful Car !!! Some many years ago I remember a 2/- coin (My age showing, thats a 10p piece for the youngsters) sitting on its edge on the rocker cover while its idling, and not moving at all.  Which model had the twin SU carbs?

Can't remember exactly but as said above I think it's just the early ones (Cyclops) and the mid production cycle 105. This only has a single carb but I believe it should have the desirable Weslake treatment on the head. So while a 110, it (when new!) produced 123bhp and the most of all P4s. The carb is an SU HD8. Not sure if the difference but I've never dealt with one of these earlier carbs before. I believe they're used on big Healeys and Jag XK's in multi carb configuration.

4 hours ago, HMC said:

I must have that one up the loft. Religiously bought PC from ‘96 to ‘00 when the wife banned it from the house due to a MK3 Cortina taking me away from new fathering duties too often. PCs lying about the house just made the situation worse.