Would it be a even be a collection without a FTP?

tom13

Sorry for the long post.

Picked up my 2004 Rover 25 this morning to take it for an MOT. Already paid for it a couple of weeks ago. Picked the battery up as well so I could out it on charge.

Got to it this morning, hadn't been out on the road for about 3 years. Car is great condition but a couple of giffer repairs such as a silicone shut sunroof and no hot air inside due to a blocked matrix. Low miles though at 58k paint is really good and it's been well cared for and polished otherwise.

Anyway, unlocked on the fob fine this morning. Started fine. Took it and stopped for fuel fine. Then went for MOT passed with flying colours. Couple of errands again locking and unlocking with the fob. Starting fine.

Went to Streetbike to look at a Himalayan on the way to pick the logbook up from the previous owner. Came out after. Fob wouldn't work. Key in the door and it unlocked fine but hazards flashing and it then wouldn't even turn over. Thought it was a battery issue so jumpers and spare battery (I was prepared to this scenario lol) deployed but no luck. Then thought it was an immobiliser issue so disconnected battery and left for just over 30min. Came back connected still the same. Called my mom to go and get me another battery and bring it to me. While she was getting it I took the key apart as the fob looked a bit worn and I though maybe it was the fob playing up. Anyway dissembled and put back together and all of a sudden pressed it and the car unlocked from the fob and I was able to start it. I pressed on to the previous owners house fine. Left the car running. Then moments later went into the post office locked car with the key no fob. Sorted the tax out came out again unlocked with key. Key into ignition and the same fault again. Messed about with everything again and got it going.

Now can this be a battery issue? I have the new battery at my mom's which I am collecting tomorrow. It's weird that it will always work fine if the fob manages to unlock the car? If I just use the key though without the fob why is it not disabling the immobiliser? Surely I don't need to have the fob on me all the time?

Picture of the car and said Himalayan I was oogling. 

PXL_20230316_170407729.jpg

PXL_20230316_131929655.jpg

I had a 25 a while ago and they immobilise if you don’t use the key fob to unlock it. There’s a weird way of turning the immobiliser off by inputting a code by locking and unlocking the driver’s door. Either way, it sounds like you need new batteries in the fob or something 

24 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I had a 25 a while ago and they immobilise if you don’t use the key fob to unlock it. There’s a weird way of turning the immobiliser off by inputting a code by locking and unlocking the driver’s door. Either way, it sounds like you need new batteries in the fob or something 

Thanks I need to look that up do you have a link or anything to what you did when you did it?

44 minutes ago, Landy Mann said:

The EKA code I think, I don't know if it was a thing on the later ones. Yours will have a Pektron(?) ECU which are known for failing in odd intermittent ways but are repairable. Someone on here has just had the ecu repaired on their ZR.

DOH. Fingers crossed it's battery. 

If it starts the car fine eventually it's unlikely to be the battery. More likely a corroded or otherwise faulty connection somewhere, either in the BCU or an earth somewhere

Rovers with Pektron BCUs can exhibit very strange behaviours when there's an electrical fault. When the alternator failed and flattened the battery on my 45 I was just greeted with a chirping noise that sounded like the alarm siren but wasn't, and the boot flew open as it decided to unlatch when I turned the key to try and crank it! 

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Had something similar a few years back when the fuse for the central locking blew. Opening the door using the key wasn’t enough. Had to use the fob as well as it turned off the immobiliser even though the central locking wasn’t working.

They self immobilise when they key is taken out of the ignition and the fob cycles through 6 or 7 codes - its easy to get out of sync with the car if the fob is pressed with the car not in range

GR9 when new, but now its a PITA. There is a way to bypass the immobiblob, but dont ask me how, I just remember a prisoner telling me Rovers were pretty easy to bypass.

14 hours ago, tom13 said:

Sorry for the long post.

Picked up my 2004 Rover 25 this morning to take it for an MOT. Already paid for it a couple of weeks ago. Picked the battery up as well so I could out it on charge.

Got to it this morning, hadn't been out on the road for about 3 years. Car is great condition but a couple of giffer repairs such as a silicone shut sunroof and no hot air inside due to a blocked matrix. Low miles though at 58k paint is really good and it's been well cared for and polished otherwise.

Anyway, unlocked on the fob fine this morning. Started fine. Took it and stopped for fuel fine. Then went for MOT passed with flying colours. Couple of errands again locking and unlocking with the fob. Starting fine.

Went to Streetbike to look at a Himalayan on the way to pick the logbook up from the previous owner. Came out after. Fob wouldn't work. Key in the door and it unlocked fine but hazards flashing and it then wouldn't even turn over. Thought it was a battery issue so jumpers and spare battery (I was prepared to this scenario lol) deployed but no luck. Then thought it was an immobiliser issue so disconnected battery and left for just over 30min. Came back connected still the same. Called my mom to go and get me another battery and bring it to me. While she was getting it I took the key apart as the fob looked a bit worn and I though maybe it was the fob playing up. Anyway dissembled and put back together and all of a sudden pressed it and the car unlocked from the fob and I was able to start it. I pressed on to the previous owners house fine. Left the car running. Then moments later went into the post office locked car with the key no fob. Sorted the tax out came out again unlocked with key. Key into ignition and the same fault again. Messed about with everything again and got it going.

Now can this be a battery issue? I have the new battery at my mom's which I am collecting tomorrow. It's weird that it will always work fine if the fob manages to unlock the car? If I just use the key though without the fob why is it not disabling the immobiliser? Surely I don't need to have the fob on me all the time?

Picture of the car and said Himalayan I was oogling. 

PXL_20230316_170407729.jpg

PXL_20230316_131929655.jpg

Ooo, both nice things. I have been thinking about a Himalayan. But now I really like the Meteor even though I'm not a cruiser type biker, it just looks right.

+1 for the EKA code nonsense. It's a 4 digit code, and you input it with left/right turns of the driver's door lock (eg '2213' is two turns left, two right, 1 left, 3 right).

Rover immobilisers are (I thought) pretty impenetrable without Rover diagnostic kit. And beware changing batteries without keeping keys far away from the car - on the 800s, it triggers the airbag warning light, which can't be turned off without....yep, Rover diagnostics.

On a Rover, it definitely sounds immobiliser-related. Is there a red flashy light on the dash? Somewhere in the clock area. That should tell you if immobiliser is disarmed or not. It's around 15 years since I had one of these and I can't remember it exactly. 

New fob battery could cure it. I think it needs to be good on those for the immobiliser to be happy. Unlocking via fob seems important to Rovers

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

On a Rover, it definitely sounds immobiliser-related. Is there a red flashy light on the dash? Somewhere in the clock area. That should tell you if immobiliser is disarmed or not. It's around 15 years since I had one of these and I can't remember it exactly. 

New fob battery could cure it. I think it needs to be good on those for the immobiliser to be happy. Unlocking via fob seems important to Rovers

That's the one.