Dave takes a brave pill and buys an L322 V8 Range Rover without a warranty: Shits broken on Pg3!

DaveDorson

Mines not shat itself yet.  I got the water out the rear view camera and stuck it all back together and now it doesn't work at all though 🤣.  I've bought a Chinese one off eBay to wire in using a guide I found on the Internet, but for the moment actually looking is working fine for parking, especially with working proximity sensors.

I still haven't found another set of 20" wheels to stick my Pirelli tyres on but that said I've not been looking that hard, instead focusing my efforts on rewiring the new unit to suit my needs..  if you think owning a range rover is expensive you should try pricing up industrial wiring, Brit clips and distribution boards, and LED lighting so we can see what we're doing 

2 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

I thought of you today as I was driving out of Stroud towards the M5 on the A419 - early L322, bonnet up by the side of the road. Still there 4 hrs later, bonnet closed, fella sitting in it.

Hope all is working out.

At least it was a nice place to be eh.

To be honest so far so good.  Its got a few bits I need to get to, buy the workshop is taking priority so I can do them in a dry place rather than on my driveway 

First real issue this morning and I'm sure it'll be the first of many, many issues..  I couldn't figure out how to set the clock.. it needs to be done via the infotainment system.  Took be all of 10 mins to solve.

Oh and the passenger wing mirror doesn't go up on the adjust, I can hear the motor so no doubt something expensive is broken in the mirror itself.

Decided because it's my my car I'm going to stick 22" wheels on it for summer use so bought a set and some hankook tyres, which hurt my wallet. 

Also bought the gearbox and engine oil service kits, some LED low power lights for inside because anything that will help with the electrics is a good idea on these from what I've read, and took the rest of the chrome off and threw it away.  Hateful stuff.

I'm looking at installing a second battery in the back using a durite split charge relay I have already with some thick guage cable that's already in the spares draw at the unit.

Apparently there's a kit you can buy for £110 and from what I can see it's overpriced, uses a cheap relay and can get in the sea, although I do like the way he's done part of his kit so I'll copy that bit, which basically makes the auxiliary battery used for all the stuff the car does when not in use and saves the main one for running the car, which is ideal.

And I just got a text from the parts department at Melton Mowbray Land Rover saying some stuff I've ordered for suspension bushes has arrived. 

I still don't have electricity in my workshop as the 5 core 10mm for the main feed and my Brit clips didn't show up yet... I'm hoping that'll change by the weekend or I'm working on it in a dark barn with torches and floor jacks and stands 

So Landrover Melton Mowbray didn't get the bolts in I needed to do the bushes on the back.. I've cleaned and soaked the rear bolts in a mix of acetone and atf and left it to fester, I'll try them tomorrow when I have some more time.

I also need a gearbox mechatronics cable seal, which I don't have, so I'm not changing the gearbox oil until that shows up.

But the tyres.. well I've had to stick the new wheels and tyres on today because .IMG_20230401_163604.thumb.jpg.3f314af42f1288713f3b8ce7982706de.jpgIMG_20230401_163558.thumb.jpg.9eeee237567bfa54b67629028abe28bb.jpgIMG_20230401_163549.thumb.jpg.4e4c94a5dc113293093282be94c614a0.jpg

my plan was always to change the wheels and tyres but I don't have my compressor running at the moment as such I don't have my tyre machine to stick the Pirelli tyres on I have.

I do have some 22s though with new rubber so they went on.

IMG_20230401_171331.thumb.jpg.54b53ec7b659867e29deeff49a9f748a.jpg

It actually drives EXACTLY the same as with 20s.  

More tomorrow, maybe 

Had a bit of time today as I waiting for a subframe to turn up for an XJL Jaaaagwarrr.

So I did the diesel, cabin, oil and air filter on the car and gave it an oil change.  To be honest it all seemed OK, the oil nice and clean and the air filter wasn't absolutely hanging, but no receipt means it's not been done as far as I'm concerned.

IMG_20230407_162601.thumb.jpg.4f6de357d5a6d0890625825c01a08b28.jpgIMG_20230407_162551.thumb.jpg.7178980a504ba35a1680e24d125fe649.jpgIMG_20230407_162558.thumb.jpg.d27c1c5d71b252728017fb375e47f0a7.jpg

I also took those fucking horrible DRLs off which had been wired in using scotch blocks and bell wire, and were basically retina burning shit that shouldn't be allowed near a car, and are now in the bin.

And yes, Britpart filters, I'm sure someone will tell me my car will now explode but having used these a few times for friends on their stuff in the past, I'm quite happy they'll be absolutely fine.

Expensive bushes not fitted, even though I have the bolts now, simple because they don't have any play in them, still at least I have them now read for if they do develop play.

I took the whole unit out where the cabin filter sits because I wanted to vac out the system from the big holes.  I've got spiders coming out the vents 🤣.. well I did.  I don't now.

Gearbox fluid not done.. the mechatronics wiring sleeve needs doing and I don't have it yet. I do have the gearbox oil and sump, but there's no point taking it apart to do it again when the parts turn up, so I just hosed it all down with brake cleaner and washed it where it was leaking to make sure that's 100% the issue.  I'll probably do the box, transfer case and diff oil at the same time.

I've not blocked the EGR valves off either.  I was going to while I had the HVAC filter unit off but decided against it, as it's all working fine and I don't really see the point unless things start to go bad.  It's not like it's lacking in performance and needs any help, and really if it gets to that I'll probably strip the inlet off and clean it all up at the same time, but my parts cleaners are still in kit form right now.

• 4 months later...

Lack of updates due to lazy and it just working for the most part.

Finally did the gearbox service, and did the mechatronics seals and sleeve seals while it was apart so hopefully it'll stay dry under it now.  Already noted an improvement in shifts so it was worth doing.

I took two photos IMG-20230819-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.cf09a79fcc51f0cdb3a3b23a8e5c7d14.jpeg

One of the old oil and some old oil from my mates A6 CVT in a bucket with the filter and pan on the floor, the magnets had a bit of debris but it wasn't horrific.

The other

IMG-20230820-WA0002.thumb.jpg.c5126bdca1abeaf69003335789ed86ea.jpg

Of the diagnostics.  The fill to level procedure on these is basically fill when cold until it dribbles and then get the oil to the right temp (45-60c) and fill until it dribbles out the fill hole with the engine running, hence the diag being plugged in while filling to check the box temp.

The whole job was done on the floor, with the car at full height and stands under to make sure it didn't drop, there's enough access to get under and do it for the home mechanic and my ramp had a paid job on it.

The only special tool I used was a compressed air fluid filler and adaptor to fill the box, but it could be done with a large fluid syringe it would just take more time and be a bit more of a faff.

The only real access issue is the exhaust having the cats right near the fill plug area and the mechatronics sleeve being a bit of a pain to apply enough pressure to in order to compress the scroll seal enough to re clip it place.

So far so good, did some motorway miles today and managed record MPGs even giving it a bit of long shoe.  31mpg for a 100 mile or so mixed drive today with me mostly at *ahem* 70 officer except where Gestapo cameras on the A1 dictated otherwise or around the odd housing estate.

Saw an absolute lovely MK3 cavalier near Lower Stondon  earlier too, 2.0 GLS I thing with a tow bar, in gold.  Was great! No pictures as I was on a mission.

I'm waiting for some wax to arrive so I can do the rust proofing that it's never apparently had and sort out any corrosion before it's a problem.

I've actually been using this thing daily now as it's cheaper to run (seriously) than my Mk5 GTi is in terms of fuel as the golf is mapped and needs expensive go go juice, whereas this runs on Morrisons finest own brand diesel without any drama, and since sorting the box out seems to do similar mpg as the box is shifting without any flares (thus increased revs).

If anyone reading this is thinking to themselves that they want to buy a certain car but the Internet is telling them not do because of all the issues reported, I just want to reiterate something.

When you enjoy your car, if cars are your thing at least, you won't care as much when stuff does break.

Don't let the horror stories put you off owning anything.

Buy the car you want, enjoy using it, fix it if and when it breaks, and keep enjoying it.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, DaveDorson said:

Saw an absolute lovely MK3 cavalier near Lower Stondon  earlier too, 2.0 GLS I thing with a tow bar, in gold.  Was great! No pictures as I was on a mission.

If you time warped back to 1999 that could have been my ex-father in law visiting me in Lower Stondon.
These days, he's passed on and I've moved house

10 hours ago, DaveDorson said:

If anyone reading this is thinking to themselves that they want to buy a certain car but the Internet is telling them not do because of all the issues reported, I just want to reiterate something.

When you enjoy your car, if cars are your thing at least, you won't care as much when stuff does break.

Don't let the horror stories put you off owning anything.

Buy the car you want, enjoy using it, fix it if and when it breaks, and keep enjoying it.

Amen to that brother.

I sold my L322 earlier this year after 2 and a half years of pretty much trouble free motoring.

They still catch my eye when I'm out and about, being handsome big bastards.

So I had to get the liability MOTd today.

Aside from some play in a ball joint it was a clean sheet.

New arm ordered with a ball joint.. obviously knowing it's a Land Rover and it will need only genuine parts or the L322 god's will rain down upon me with great vengeance and furious anger if I dare to add something that's not blessed with a JLR sticker, I've bought the cheapest one I could find and will fit it on my back in the workshop once it arrives, because that fucking Merc will still be on my ramp.

Because doing sills and arches on these is inevitable, and although mine are OK now, they are going to need to be done, when I saw some rear sill repair panels on eBay and knowing you can't buy panels for doing sills, I jumped in and bought them.

These are meant to be amazing quality according to the community, as I understand there's only one guy making panels for them and I assume they came from that source.

Here's what the eBay advert showed:

Screenshot_20230827-161043.thumb.png.dc306a2361935513b752bfb55e752e79.png

Shapes alright, award to press it due to the design so even though I winced at paying the best part of £200 (small saving over buying from the guy who makes to order, but without the big wait time).

Here's what the pictures didn't show:

IMG-20230831-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.2e290560fc761aec16f408015f03a15f.jpeg

IMG-20230831-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.063ee67dc7ebbabc1b206ea246c9a57f.jpeg

IMG-20230831-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.d225e1ee3a048c5238e3bba75e9643fb.jpeg

IMG-20230831-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.5b6931a305e134f0b59fc061b9a9b469.jpeg

IMG-20230831-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.5c5fc5f4775aa74afdbc1c52c0d7b330.jpeg

Ok so I appreciate you can spend a lot of time making such a panel and I'm sure my time welding up German cars with *quality* pattern panels has spoiled me a bit but is that really worthy of £110 a panel?

Ah well.

Something broke today.  Well four things really, but one I knew needed doing anyway.

1. NSF balljoint has play, this was flagged on the MOT and the part hasn't arrived yet £30 part; I didn't use it at the weekend and I work from home.
  2. Air Suspension isn't venting in an adequate time period, causing an error, goes when I restart the engine and I can then deflate the front down, and it raises absolutely fine.. it's the drier/silencer for the compressor, £40 fix.
  3. Window switches on the drivers door have come adrift of the unit, the little plastic clips have broken, I can probably bodge them back in.
  4. Can't dip my mirrors from the same switch unit, they go for £80 or so on ebay, as the single unit does the lot, the passenger auto dips on reverse, the drivers I can lower the window and move the mirror, the other directions work, it's just the "down" bit.

Oh woe is me, this thing is going to bankrupt me, etc etc...