Dave takes a brave pill and buys an L322 V8 Range Rover without a warranty: Shits broken on Pg3!

DaveDorson

Was a private sale, honest feeling owners who'd replaced the car with a Jaguar as the previous owners health meant she was struggling a bit to get in and out.

121k, extensive but not full history, however it has signs of really quite recent servicing in all the right places.  

It's the 3.6v8 twin turbo diesel thing.. 6 speed which seems alright, suspension all seems to work but I'm sure it won't last, matching but not great brand tyres and the signs of the rear arches starting to go a bit but nothing drastic.

I guess I should show you all it..IMG-20230312-WA0018.thumb.jpeg.1880d3d3ab2e1362286e636f2e950a29.jpegIMG-20230312-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.e83bfa3289ada9941cf0e81d13432793.jpegIMG-20230312-WA0014.thumb.jpeg.b6beb536f31576a1885499a91bace230.jpegIMG-20230312-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.3ddf42604945783cbfcaafa67f30e052.jpegIMG-20230312-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.9cf2d18330e55255437f952808e5e82b.jpeg

The owner rattle canned the wheels black as they were getting a bit grotty, the reverse camera needs looking at because although it was fine when I drove it and all the way home, today I was met with a black screen with patches of an image on... I know how to put a better one in

The chrome stick on shit is coming off., He added that because he was bored one day, it's also got some add on DRLs but it's otherwise absolutely stock. They used it to tow their caravan, and it came from a lovely house with a nice paddock in the arse end of Leicestershire from an ex fireman and his ex dental nurse wife who are now enjoying their retirement.  Lovely couple by all accounts.

IMG-20230312-WA0010.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

The lifecycle of AS:

• Think I might buy X
  • Post thread, are X shit?
  • Dozens of unanimous replies - yes
  • I've bought X
  • My X is broken
  • 60 goto 50, do not pass go, do not collect £200

I was looking at an l320 originally not an L322, which I'd discounted because my budget didn't really stretch to a decent one.

I stretched by budget a bit more and bought this one.

Had enough left to buy some new diagnostic gear, a gearbox service and some other sundries to give it a fighting chance of not being shit.

Isn't this place about not buying a car on finance, taking stuff that's pretty much unloved, making it better and enjoying the damn car you want?

48 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

God that looks bloody awful - but instead of dissin' your choice I shall embrace it as being the solid shite moneypit disaster on wheels that it is. 

Genuinely wishing you good luck :)

I really like it, wheels and chrome aside, but I like modified cars.

I randomly flashed at a Lotus on the A47 over the weekend while in one of the SLKs, not sure if it was you as I've no idea what your lotus is.. 🤣

4 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

I randomly flashed at a Lotus on the A47 over the weekend while in one of the SLKs, not sure if it was you as I've no idea what your lotus is.. 🤣

Haha! Mine was in the garage and I was 200 miles away. I’m often in Oakham and sometimes Stamford. Here’s me parked like an average RR driver 😂

A2D877AA-7A6A-46BC-90CE-DD396C01F8FD.thumb.jpeg.9e705929287afc3acc5e84073671626c.jpeg

Welcome to the bankruptcy club! :-) I have had my petrol one 6 months and so far (touchwood) no problems in 6000 miles, 90% of those towing and often heavy loads. Apart from 16.5mpg average that is!

The reverse camera is a common problem on these and a free fix. You need to take off the rear spoiler that houses the camera, then inside there is a connector to the camera. These connectors corode and need separating and the connection pins cleaning. This should fix it.

The father in law still hasn’t fixed the suspension on his. Front end is on the bump stops. Thought he was flashing at me the other day when he came past going the opposite direction. Apparently he didn’t see me. I have warned him about lasting damage to other components including his back, but he doesn’t take my advice, says it drives lovely!! 🙄🤣

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

The father in law still hasn’t fixed the suspension on his. Front end is on the bump stops. Thought he was flashing at me the other day when he came past going the opposite direction. Apparently he didn’t see me. I have warned him about lasting damage to other components including his back, but he doesn’t take my advice, says it drives lovely!! 🙄🤣

Sounds like my Dad.. when I went with him to pick this up I had to get him to pull over to inflate the tyre in his C5 because the puncture detected warning was fucking with my OCD 

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Love the l322 but I’d be tempted to pull you if I was a member of the local Law enforcement agency , cos of the tints. In a way, that simply adds to the appeal to my eyes.

My Mondeo has darker tints, purple wheels, is lower, louder and chucks more smoke out when my shoes get heavy.. they don't bother me much. Compared to the Mondeo this is the height of respectable 

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

have we seen this?

Probably.. it's been with me for a good few years now.  I do need to do a few jobs, so once it's stopped being a van to help me move to the new unit, and I've got the lights in etc, I'll show some of the work I'm doing to undo the neglect.

Mechanically it's actually alright, proper shocks and springs (bilstien and eibach) slightly bigger tyres on the painted stock wheels, some rally type mudflaps, a big stainless exhaust, massive brembos and focus RS500 discs because standard Mondeo MK3 brakes are shit.

10 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Sometimes, you've just got to say "YOLO", or whatever the non-yoof equivalent is. Good work. :)

... although as others have said, the all-blacked-out look does give off slight hints of "freelance pharmecutical distributor".

I quite like the "murdered out" asthetic on some stuff however, black wheels just look shit on a black car.