Forgotten Cars

Missy Charm

On 4/12/2023 at 8:52 AM, Skut said:

The Rootes Arrow based Sunbeam Alpine. I'm sure I remember a book describing it as a stripped austerity Rapier. Not that the Rapier is much better remembered. A great shame as they're nice looking cars. Rootes did badge engineering much better than BMC.

1280px-SunbeamAlpineFastback.thumb.jpg.12b8bdcb87f938ecbc721b71a1ebe13a.jpg

I owned one of those , 1972 on a K.reg just as Labour came to power in '97 and scrapped the rolling 25 year tax exemption. So one of the last to be tax free for a while. Cheap way into a pillarless coupe back then. No overdrive, just two dials on the dash, wood veneered dash the width of the car , the centre console was wood veneered instead of machined aluminium. Like that picture pressed steel not RuberyOwenStyle wheels.

16 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

I owned one of those , 1972 on a K.reg just as Labour came to power in '97 and scrapped the rolling 25 year tax exemption. So one of the last to be tax free for a while. Cheap way into a pillarless coupe back then. No overdrive, just two dials on the dash, wood veneered dash the width of the car , the centre console was wood veneered instead of machined aluminium. Like that picture pressed steel not RuberyOwenStyle wheels.

That's why I choose that image. I can't stand Rostyles. 

I really wanted a bubble shaped Mazda 121 when they were new.  The looks caused quite a stir at the time but aren't nearly so striking today.

All Autos in the UK I think.

Mazda_121_(1).thumb.jpg.dbb6efae737dcbdb07b46a5b36c2a0fb.jpg

On 4/9/2023 at 6:01 PM, georgeinabz said:

I know what you mean, used to be in my bed and listen to the cars outside go past as a 14year old , minis were dead easy to guess , all you hear now is tyre noise.
My mate's older brother had a Stan Stephens tuned RD350 , definitely heard that from 1/2 a mile away.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

My Dad's Norton Dominator had BSA Gold Star "silencers". We lived just over a mile away from the national speed limit signs (mileposts just after the N/S and one outside the house), and one still summer's night (probably 1984) I was in the loo and I heard him crack open the throttle as he left the 30 zone.

2 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

Third generation Hyundai Accent, only sold in the UK for a year.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Saw one of those on Dutch plates a few years ago. I was amazed when an ex-Hyundai salesman told me it was sold here (in tiny numbers) as I'd never seen one before or since. Not so much forgotten as never noticed to start with.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:02 PM, MiniMinorMk3 said:

I used to play a game with my dad whilst waiting in the car, instead of I-Spy, it was I hear with my little ear. Identifying Minor 1000s, Jags, Minis, VW Bugs, Imps, V6 Capris, V8 Rovers was simple, as they all had their own individual sound. Then when all you could hear was the sound of tyres on tarmac, you knew it was a Rolls or Bentley.

I have a dim memory of a kid doing exactly this on an episode of That’s Life or similar show circa 1985. There were 10 cars, the kid identified them all from the engine noise. 

It wasn’t you, was it?!

On 3/22/2023 at 5:29 PM, MiniMinorMk3 said:

VW XL1

Looks like the owner is hoping a couple of people remember it.

Lot 50: Classic Motoring Lot Bidding Ends: Wednesday 29th March 2023 at 7:40PM £68,000-74,000 - Brightwells

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJicmlnaHR3ZWxscyIsImtleSI6

I met the dude who designed the interior for that a few months ago at Liverpool Car & Coffee.  He’s working for Bentley now.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:40 PM, sierraman said:

A mate had a V5 Toledo, was completely pointless, not all that quick and drank a fair old amount. Very underwhelming, I don’t know if I showed my unenthusiasm when I left a kebab in the footwell for 3 months. It was that dull nobody realised. 

People are buying these just for the engines these days.  There’s a kit to drop them into the Mk1 Golf and Mk1 / Mk2 Scirocco.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, grogee said:

Chevrolet Epica. There was a V6 one. I drove it, and can't remember anything about it

epica.webp

It wasn’t a boring old V6, it was a shite-tastic straight six….and 2 litres as well. Literally an answer to a question no one in the UK car market even asked: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Tosca

11 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

It wasn’t a boring old V6, it was a shite-tastic straight six….and 2 litres as well. Literally an answer to a question no one in the UK car market even asked: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Tosca

Lexus sold quite a few IS 200s, and BMW did quite well with their straight six 2.0 saloons, in small and large varieties.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:00 PM, martc said:

More than allegedly - an actual fact. There was a place on Hedon Road in Hull which bought up old Ladas and flogged them to Russian sailors, the signage was in English and Cyrillic. There were regular sailings between Hull and Russia (actually the Baltic ports) bringing wood into the UK so there was a regular Russian presence in the port (Hedon Road is the road the docks are off). The collapse of the Soviet Union made it viable for the cars to be brought back as the chaos at home meant very poor supply of parts and the sailors also now had access to hard cash, which helped. I have seen, with my own eyes, Russian ships leaving port with RHD Ladas strapped to the deck. 

I've found this ace pic...

image.png.844c8d5eb41ec4c4ebbfac56b57c9442.png

...which I'm pretty sure was the place, the Cyrillic sign was painted on a white board propped up on the flat roof. Note the Riva sneaking in on the left.

Hull was the epicentre of all things Lada, the local taxis were all Ladas which really annoyed the council (but that's another story). They came in through Hull docks and then went up to Carnaby Industrial Estate near Bridlington were they were PDI'd - this was, as mentioned above, quite a professional outfit. The current Mrs Martc knew someone who worked there, their job was to try and make them 'euro' compliant (or whatever it was at the time), he mentioned trying fuel injection and, intriguingly, a 'GM' carburettor with various electronic controls, but it proved too expensive to meet the emissions regs and Lada pulled the plug.

In about '96-'98 I regularly took transporter loads of them from auction in Glasgow to Hull docks. A couple of Russians based in a portacabin presumably acting as agents. I once managed to load 7 of which only two would start and run, the first and last on. The last being the pusher car.

• 6 months later...