Forgotten Cars

Missy Charm

9 hours ago, grogee said:

Mitsubishi featuring heavily on this thread. Here's another. More boring than its Volvo S40 sister, quite some achievement. 

download (8).jpeg

Had a PFL one of these as a stop gap company car whilst waiting for new mk3 Mondeo. Hateful rattly shit box in my opinion with zero charisma!

Dare I add the Volvo S90? No, not the new ones, the old ones, and not ones badged as a 960.. 

image.png.52c9c8553ef6915f9dbb9a7d0105e563.png

When did you last see one of those? For me it was diagnosing a sodding ABS fault on one last year, but other than that there's pretty much none left badged as an S90. Did they all go round the oval or something? Looks like there's less than 100 left based on HML data 

I suppose you could add the V90 but the S90 seems far more scarce, as I've seen a couple of early V90's about 

2 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How about the Daihatsu Cuore? 

image.png.0d597fb9d345509dfa9c8b41fc23c156.png

Remaining numbers seem to be in the low hundreds according to HML.. 

I used to own that exact car! Bought as a runabout for my wife, it was a brilliant car but rusty as fuck. 

We part ex'd it for a Suzuki swift which was considerably more robust! 

15 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Dare I add the Volvo S90? No, not the new ones, the old ones, and not ones badged as a 960.. 

When did you last see one of those? For me it was diagnosing a sodding ABS fault on one last year, but other than that there's pretty much none left badged as an S90. Did they all go round the oval or something? Looks like there's less than 100 left based on HML data 

I suppose you could add the V90 but the S90 seems far more scarce, as I've seen a couple of early V90's about 

Had one

It had an intermittent ABS fault...

Sold it.

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Probably being very thirsty wouldn’t have helped when they got down to banger money. 

22 minutes ago, grogee said:

Had one

It had an intermittent ABS fault...

Sold it.

Took me ages because the first wiring diagram I found pointed to the high resistance being within the ECU. It wasn't until I found the correct diagram it turned out to be a speed sensor.. that was slightly* frustrating 

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How about the Daihatsu Cuore? 

image.png.0d597fb9d345509dfa9c8b41fc23c156.png

Remaining numbers seem to be in the low hundreds according to HML.. 

14 hours ago, Stanky said:

I used to own that exact car! Bought as a runabout for my wife, it was a brilliant car but rusty as fuck. 

We part ex'd it for a Suzuki swift which was considerably more robust! 

Nice pad Stanky!

I had one of these as a stopgap after my Mini 1000 got totalled. Absolute white goods heaven. You genuinely don't get cars like this anymore, which is sad really.

20 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Continuing on the "literally almost everything Daihatsu ever did" theme... the Applause, a hatchback masquerading as a saloon. Just two still on the road according to HML.

H210XHX_Daihatsu_Applause_1.6Xi.jpg

1024px-Daihatsu_Applause_trunk.jpg

I spoke to the Chap that owns that owns an Applause (Probably that one), he said that he knows of only 3 surviving ones. But far better and more forgotten is its predecessor, the Charmant! I would kill for one.

Daihatsu Charmant 1300 LC Altair front.jpg

30 minutes ago, warch said:

Nice pad Stanky!

I had one of these as a stopgap after my Mini 1000 got totalled. Absolute white goods heaven. You genuinely don't get cars like this anymore, which is sad really.

Ah, thats just one of the gatekeepers lodges, not chateau_Stanky proper. Couldn't be doing with having the riffraff taking pictures inside the estate, it might frighten the peacocks!

On 3/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, grogee said:

Honda Stream. File in with all the other mystery MPVs. They'll all be classics* one day.

1200px-Honda_Stream_(first_generation)_(rear),_Serdang.jpg

Scrolling through to see if anyone had mentioned the Stream yet....had one in the family until recently, it felt very much like every other honda of the era.....just much longer...

19 hours ago, Clunk said:

I spoke to the Chap that owns that owns an Applause (Probably that one), he said that he knows of only 3 surviving ones. But far better and more forgotten is its predecessor, the Charmant! I would kill for one.

Daihatsu Charmant 1300 LC Altair front.jpg

Most survivors I've seen have been in Ireland (still one or two in the UK).

Just so happens most of the oily bits  from an AE86 Corolla fit. 

2087302208_Daihatsu-Charmant-4A-GTE-by-Paddy-McGrath-25-1200x800(1).thumb.jpg.4c52eeaf1900dbc5c35417c00cafc0d7.jpg

9 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

I saw loads of these in China, I think VW did a deal to get them made locally, many years ago.

My Dad had a Passat in the same colour.

Made them till 2012 in China, with numerous facelifts over the years.

Volkswagen Santana Vista 01 China 2012-04-14.JPG

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

Patrick le Quement must have had a bad day. Or was he retired by then? Anyway, must have been one of the most uninspiring Renaults ever.

The Renault Kaleos was a Samsung QM5 in disguise. I think it was an attempt to fill, cheaply,  the gap between the Kangoo and Scenic. A gap that no-one but the marketing dept had noticed.

image.png.f0bd29242463b1ff77456e18a596df3e.png

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

I saw loads of these in China, I think VW did a deal to get them made locally, many years ago.

They were made by Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive a joint venture between the Shanghai Tractor Automobile Corporation (STAC)  and VW. STAC are now called SAIC the peddlers of today's MGs.