Forgotten Cars

Missy Charm

6 minutes ago, grogee said:

This is relatively recent yet I can't remember the last time I saw one

the best thing that can be said about it, it's a lot better than the Fusion that preceded it.

1 minute ago, grogee said:

Ssangyong Korando: Korea Can Do

That one's been knocking around for sale for a while. My missus (who has spurious reasons for liking ugly things like me, Korandos, Binis) keeps pointing them out as she thinks they look 'cute' but she does not have to maintain them....

Hyundai Trajet. For when you can't keep it in your pants for 10 minutes, but a Vauxhall Sintra has too much badge prestige.

https://d1gymyavdvyjgt.cloudfront.net/drive/images/made/drive/images/remote/https_ssl.caranddriving.com/f2/images/used/big/hyundaitrajet_753_500_70.jpg

Vauxhall Sintra. For when you can't keep it in your pants for 10 minutes, you don't want a Trajet, but a Ford Galaxy is too highbrow for you.

vauxhall_sintra.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Mk1 Tigra. Not sure I ever remember seeing one on an M, either.

tigra6.thumb.jpg.96de94aceb59332524bec977dd3ff893.jpg

I can't remember seeing many with wheel trims. Even if they didn't have horrendous aftermarket wheels (and Lexus look tail lights, and a double barrel exhaust...) they were usually equipped with the five spoke alloys.

2 hours ago, Kevin-TIB said:

Nissan Tiida - a few on the Irish roads 10 years ago but rare enough to be justly forgotten.

Don't think they were ever sold officially in the UK. But one of the car supermarkets used to import them. There was one round the corner for a fair while. 

4 hours ago, greengartside said:

My contribution - the wonderful Hyundai Matrix. Largely snubbed and forgotten about due to it’s apparent lack of attractive styling, they are a competent and useful little car.

B842F1A5-467E-49EA-B61E-C4B41C984CD4.thumb.jpeg.30a1fdd8307d09c104a10ef66c1e8235.jpeg

There's still a fuck ton of these things around down my way for some reason. One for a "cars you wish you could forget" thread in my case :)

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The Citroen Xsara Couple Coupe

If anyone says they've seen one in the last 15 years they're lying. 

image.thumb.png.87705793c10b54c957c7933a96f09176.png

Just look at it, the perfect station for your filthy office-affair romp. Even the advert literature confirms that!

I've owned one within the last fifteen years if that counts.  Mine was a silver Mark Two one with the rounded front and was equipped with a diesel engine.  I never quite got to grips with it as a car because it was destroyed in a crash about a month after coming into my ownership.  A curate's egg of a car from memory: nice handling; unrefined and clunky engine; lovely to look at inside and out; possessor of a really weird fault whereby the car didn't know if the driver's door was open or closed, which would send the electronics haywire at random.

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The Citroen Xsara Couple Coupe

If anyone says they've seen one in the last 15 years they're lying. 

image.thumb.png.87705793c10b54c957c7933a96f09176.png

Just look at it, the perfect station for your filthy office-affair romp. Even the advert literature confirms that!

Some folk reckon the VTS ones were better to drive than a 306 GTI-6. 

Better suspension geometry at the rear. Quicker steering racks and the five speed gearbox suited the XU10J4RS engine better. Plus the steering lock was miles better than the 306 too...

Because it didn't have a soddin' lock stopper in the rack to stop the left hand front wheel smacking the gearbox due to the six speeder being a million miles longer! 

Unfortunately they became cheap throw away parts donors for GTI-6's.

6 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

I've owned one within the last fifteen years if that counts.  Mine was a silver Mark Two one with the rounded front and was equipped with a diesel engine.  I never quite got to grips with it as a car because it was destroyed in a crash about a month after coming into my ownership.  A curate's egg of a car from memory: nice handling; unrefined and clunky engine; lovely to look at inside and out; possessor of a really weird fault whereby the car didn't know if the driver's door was open or closed, which would send the electronics haywire at random.

On second thoughts this possibly happened more than fifteen years ago.  I'm getting old 🥲