Renner grave yard. Update- it's here!

55bloke

Here's a few pics- not great, as I was in a bit of a rush!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took the car up to Leeds (visiting my folks) and back yesterday. It drives beautifully, not exactly a road burner, but a good deal more grunt than the TXE. Engine sounds lovely, has a nice base note to it. The auto box is smoother than the one in my TXE, but annoyingly it won't change into top at anything less than 48mph, and drops back into 3rd at 45. The TXE changes up at 45, and drops back into 3rd at 38, so it is possible to keep it in top in a 40mph zone by going up to 45, then letting the speed fall back to 40. Can't stay legal in top in the Baccara, which makes it a bit revvy. A few issues have revealed themselves- the heater fan only runs on the 4th speed setting, and even then it's hardly moving any air. Coming back, we put the heater on, and got a nice warm blast for about 5 mins, then it just suddenly went cold, and now won't blow hot at all. Slightly worrying. Also, pulled in for petrol, and when I started the engine after filling up, it was very reluctant to turn over, but struck up straight away once the starter got it spinning. It's fine from cold, but I've tried starting it hot a few times, and it always feels like the starter or battery hasn't got enough power to spin the engine. Any thoughts?

I always fancied a Clio Baccara, which is arguably the nearest thing to a modern VDP 1100 you can get. Big fat leather seats and wood in a tiddler always appealed. Renault auto boxes sadly let the package down - do the 25's have similar problems? I know they use different boxes but are the problems largely electronic?

Hi,congratulations! That looks good.The heater should work on the max hot position. The other positions (except max cold) are controlled electronically. The electronic temperature sensor has a litte fan in the dash that does not last very long... Thus your climate control does not get correct information...Same with my V6turbo. The original assembly is not cheap but I am trying to get the fan motors only. I will let you know if I suceed.Daniel

I always fancied a Clio Baccara, which is arguably the nearest thing to a modern VDP 1100 you can get. Big fat leather seats and wood in a tiddler always appealed. Renault auto boxes sadly let the package down - do the 25's have similar problems? I know they use different boxes but are the problems largely electronic?

The auto boxes have bad rep, but I believe it's largely undeserved. The problems are caused by owners not changing the ATF filter and fluid at the recommended intervals, or failing to notice leaks from the ATF cooler.

Ok, for all you dash board pervs out there (I include myself in that category) here are some pics:-

This is the dazzling display which presents it's self when you turn the ignition on:

Posted Image

Changes to this once the engine's running:

Posted Image

As requested, this is the Phillips stereo fitted as standard. The radio and amplifier is excellent, but of the 3 I've owned, and several belonging to other 25 owners, I've yet to find one in which the tape player works properly!! The tape speed will not remain constant, supposedly due to it being sloped back at about 70 rather than laid flat, as it was designed to be:

Posted Image

I've been tempted to replace it with something more modern, with an MP3 dock, but doing so would leave the LCD display on the dash blank:

Posted Image

for comparison, here's the arrangement in the TXE- note the ordinary heater controls, as opposed to the climate control in the Baccara:

Posted Image

In both cars, the radio and tape functions can all be controlled from a "satellite" control stick behind the steering wheel:

Posted Image

Finally, just for fun, a nice pic of both cars:

Posted Image

Our Espace had that very same remote radio control.

Early Espaces shared a lot with the 25- engines, gear boxes, front suspension, etc. Oh, and thanks for all the positive remarks guys. I have to admit, behind the wheel of a 25 is one of my favourite places!! And I love the heater controls too, seems much neater than the controls which seem to be universally used nowadays.

The auto boxes have bad rep, but I believe it's largely undeserved. The problems are caused by owners not changing the ATF filter and fluid at the recommended intervals, or failing to notice leaks from the ATF cooler.

It's funny that Renault decided that the safrane autobox is sealed (to change the fluid is a 'dealer only' job).... so the bad rep goes on!

What kind of sick man buys two R25's??!! :lol: I've always had a thing for these big old Renaults after growing up opposite a Renault Main Dealers and seeing the delivery lorries turning up to drop of the new models.I even remember the signing on the front of the garage saying the 'New Renault 25 is here', I was only about 7 as well, wish i could find the photo i took of the place from about 87 with the Fuego's and R21's on the forecourt.Love the dashes on the these as well, Just plain class.

What kind of sick man buys two R25's??!!

well ive got 2 as well and at least yours work well done( think the v6 is more economicall than TXI multivalve) ps dont forget about the voice synthesiser while your impressing the newbie 25 fans
Good to know I'm not the only one!! The voice synth thing drives me nuts- if only the voice was that sexy Nicole girl in the old Renault adverts. Believe it or not, according to the computer, the V6 is more economical than the 2litre TXE!!! :shock: