The child’s Kia. Riken tyres seem okay.

dozeydustman

Seen a nice little car on here. Arrangements made.

Just finished 9 hour shift - check
Collected stepdaughter from work? - check
Brimmed tank for journey- check
Poo count - 3 (including working hours, otherwise 1).
Will it be dark when I get there? - check

Hopefully journey will be uneventful.

1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Don’t! I had the runs a bit back and took 2 of those little bastards.

A week later before I could go again, no shit.

Literally.

I’m actually not sure which was worst?

This is the sort of silly experiment/ dare I've never grown out of. See - deep heat on the unmentionables. I wonder how long you could go and what would happen when you were eventually overpowered

We’re both home safe. Madam is taking her mum out for a quick spin. The car itself is a nice little thing. Typically Japanese/Malaysian/Korean handling - that is a little stodgy but it won’t bite you if you push it too hard. It’s a very easy little thing to drive. Madam didn’t put the wipers on once on the journey home (indicators right)

@BeEP thank you very much for the car, as always great to meet another shiter.

I’m now enjoying* a tepid cider before I have a shower and head off to bed.

• 3 months later...

Today after work, I gave stepdaughter a hand giving the Kia a service. Last done 11k ago according to the book. It’s a 12k interval on these diesels so we may be early.

Madam did an entry level mechanics course 5 years ago and has only dabbled since but she wants now to do more with her car now she’s finished uni.

she gave the car a run to warm it up, next I made her scrabble around the floor to drain the oil.

IMG_3011.thumb.jpeg.ca9ebdc49469beda1a0edaaed5892ce4.jpeg

Air filter next

IMG_3012.thumb.jpeg.ff8b01f023b47ae879856dadb61d774b.jpeg

Wipers weren’t great so she also changed them.

IMG_3015.thumb.jpeg.e504b27a67f6df3a6d73105c2fe95938.jpeg

oil filter extracted, and it was in pretty good condition.

IMG_3016.thumb.jpeg.6998f714c9605041bca4a8acd4c9370f.jpeg

oil refilled. This engine takes a whopping 5.3 litres of refined dead dinosaur. All buttoned up and nothing’s pissing out anywhere so madam is chuffed with herself.

IMG_3013.jpeg

Next job was the cabin filter. This was manky.

IMG_3018.thumb.jpeg.d355dfb0b257d041739b5cf5dcad873b.jpeg

It lives in a cassette behind the glove box, a bit of a fiddle to get out

IMG_3019.thumb.jpeg.0f6cad5630be9ac1431e769e148f24d6.jpeg

IMG_3020.thumb.jpeg.ad2ccb45db5d5774b6785637dfbc70a2.jpeg

All installed nicely and the air vents definitely smell better now. Just the A/C to regas.

Also need to get the front wheels off so we can change the drop links and the ball joints. The boots were advisory at the last test and I don’t think they’ve been changed since. As they were so cheap (oil I had in stock and the filters, wipers, ball joints and drop links came in at around £65) it’s a no-brainer just to change them instead of faffing with rubber boots and spring clips. Hopefully we’ll get these done in the next week or so.

• dozeydustman changed the title to The child’s Kia. Service time
  • 3 months later...

Between tactical chunders, shivering like a nudist holidaying in antarctica, and various coughing fits this morning I have made some progress on the Kia.

IMG_3401.thumb.jpeg.6b45ed40a49a1d3f118e0e893dbbfd23.jpeg

IMG_3402.thumb.jpeg.3ac991e0ff018de244c097b926d285f8.jpeg

New bottom arm, balljoints and droplinks installed on passenger side. I need to pop to Halfords or somewhere similar for some brake cleaner. Old disc has about a 2.5-3mm lip on each side, not sure what the minimum thickness should be so I’m replacing them as matter of course. Brake dust plates are as rotten as the average Renault 14 and haven’t found replacements, so they’ll have to stay for now.

Pads have worn unevenly - 4mm remaining this side but last time I had the driver’s wheel of there appeared to be 8mm ish. N/S calliper piston doesn’t appear to be seized so I’m expecting something wrong with O/S.

Passenger side all buttoned up and tightened up to FT by hand. Can’t find any torque settings so ‘sufficient’ with a ratchet and 6-sided socket will do for now. I can always re-check the torques later.

I wire brushed the calliper casting as it was caked in shite but the bleed nipple was siezed. A dab of heat, spray of release fluid and the gentlest setting on the rattle gun got it out, and the piston plopped straight back down with gentle hand pressure. Took the boot off the piston and no corrosion or pitting so refitted the boot and got on with stuff. 

Madam had to brave the rain to pump the brake pedal for bleeding. Left phone indoors so no more photos.

Absolutely hammering it down now, so I’ve dosed all the crusty fittings on the driver’s side in plusgas and I hope to get that done and possibly the rear brakes tomorrow. Weather depending.

I also treated myself to some Swarfega so my hands are a lot cleaner than usual after working on a car - normally I used washing up liquid and salt mixed to a paste. It’s quite good but Swarfega and salt is better.

21 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

I'm contemplating pads, on MrGetz.

Discs are smooth + clean... but a bit of crinkle on the edge 😮

Nice to see enthusiastic yoof [as in: enthusiastic about anything] lol 👍

Parts for these Korean motors are so cheap, the discs and pads were £80 and a few pence for all four corners ATEC brand. No idea if they’re any good but bearing in mind I once fitted a set of pads to the late blurple Toyota for £6 from Amazon and they ended up being pretty good.

Bearing in mind all tapers were/are rusted in place for £60 for the bottom arms and £20 for the ball joints I dread to think what the cost of a garage to unseize everything and replace would be. Once it was freely moving it took not much more than an hour and half to get the arm in and fit the ball joint and drop link, I suspect a garage with a lift (or someone who isn’t a fat knacker with a crap selection of tools and shonky axle stands working on a wet concrete pad) would do the swaps in under an hour. Lining up the bolt holes for the lower arm took the longest.

Madam would normally be scrabbling around helping me but she has had this grotty bug for 3 days and has spent most of that time asleep or puking.

Taking a raincheck has never been truer than this morning.

IMG_3406.thumb.jpeg.ffb5106a46ff0b08c6d97cf590b69d93.jpeg

This side has come apart much easier save the lower arm, and I have come to the conclusion I need a lift or to remove the engine to get at the back bolt. But as the bushes aren’t perished and the arm looked a lot newer it can stay for now.

Balljoint taper broke on the first whack, so hopefully the soak in penetrant helped with that (this was the side which broke both my other splitters).

Once the weather stops I’ll fit the pads and bleed the brakes. I still can’t get either track rod end off so that will be a job for the garage or the tame fitter at work. The tracking will need setting as well as it does pull right a touch and front tyres have worn on the outside edges.

If I can start on the back brakes that will be great but again depends on the weather and how well I am feeling, as a this bug we have is no fun at all.

14 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Parts for these Korean motors are so cheap, the discs and pads were £80 and a few pence for ATEC brand. No idea if they’re any good but bearing in mind I once fitted a set of pads to the late blurple Toyota for £6 from Amazon and they ended up being pretty good.

Bearing in mind all tapers were/are rusted in place for £60 for the bottom arms and £20 for the ball joints I dread to think what the cost of a garage to unseize everything and replace would be. Once it was freely moving it took not much more than an hour and half to get the arm in and fit the ball joint and drop link, I suspect a garage with a lift (or someone who isn’t a fat knacker with a crap selection of tools and shonky axle stands working on a wet concrete pad) would do the swaps in under an hour. Lining up the bolt holes for the lower arm took the longest.

Madam would normally be scrabbling around helping me but she has had this grotty bug for 3 days and has spent most of that time asleep or puking.

They've always got an excuse! Get well soon lass.

edited to add: And I hope you don't suffer so bad.

All buttoned up.

IMG_3409.thumb.jpeg.79fe204256089584e860af057e5ecd86.jpeg

IMG_3407.thumb.jpeg.0df1ebfa72c3ece4c96cc2756e81da18.jpeg

Calliper on this side was seized solid. Piston was stuck, took it out and again no rust or pockmarks on it, so can only assume it was slightly skewwhiff in the bore, which is also undamaged. New seal in the bore installed, cleaned and greased the also stiff sliders and everything moves freely now but I suspect a new calliper will be on the cards within a year.

The effect on the pads is quite noticeable;

IMG_3410.thumb.jpeg.aff7e646c2b20264d3d7cb2781edbb88.jpeg

Top pair were from the seized side, and were glazed. Been up and down the road and I think a re-bleed is needed as pedal feels vague but the car is no longer pulling right under braking.

More rain means I haven’t looked at the rears, but tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

11 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Nasty, give shell fish the swerve from now on, I do.

Haven’t eaten any seafood for months. I was hosting a party last weekend, it’s a possibility a guest had it but none of the invitees have been ill. Then again the Mrs works at the local university and the students have started arriving on campus, so probably some ‘fresher’s flu’ brought in by a student, half my wife’s department have similar symptoms.