The £600k Sierra.

5speedracer

Like most people on here aged 40 or over, I can remember when all these unobtainable cars were distinctly obtainable by normal folk. Pretty much any modern classic, be it an Impreza WRX, Evo, Skyline GTR, Integrale, E30 M3 or Sierra Cosworth could be had for a few thousand quid, especially in preloved or post hedged condition. That affordability was the be all and end all of their appeal for me though, we liked them and drove them because they were fast, cheap to buy, and to some extent disposable. Not many 18-30 year olds were thinking about future value, especially with creeping rust, battle scars and an all pervading aroma of weed lingering around the upholstery. 

With that in mind a 10 grand Mk 2 Golf GTI or a 20 grand E36/46 M3 doesn't really appeal to me these days. It'd be a financial burden, I'd have to look after it and join an owners club and hang around with boring middle aged people at meets. Also they're often a bit ordinary to drive, and well off the pace of modern cars. I remember thinking that the writing was on the wall for 200hp sports saloons when the Golf GTDi came out, they were just as quick if not quicker, especially 50-70 but much cheaper to run and more practical.  

I feel bad saying this, because most of my favourite cars, or cars I'd most like to own came out in the late 80s-late 90s period. 

As to spending a mortgage on a car that'll never be used, that's up to the new owner, it's their money (presumably) so they do what ever they want with it. I'm surprised at the price they were willing to go to though, you could buy an entire garage of nice cars. It is likely that they already own a garage full of nice cars and can afford to buy the absolute best to add to their collection. Its a lot of money for a car, but chicken feed compared to a yacht or a helicopter. 

56 minutes ago, omegod said:

I recall looking at a broken 3 dr Cossie behind  Warrenders in Preston, sales guy wanted 3 k for it " It came in on a rope and it'll go out on a rope " 

Should of !!

I always remember doing a countdown if I was behind one, coming out of a 30 zone.. 5,4,3,2,1, turbo..

Cloud of black reek out the 4" drainpipe. 😆

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

I always remember doing a countdown if I was behind one, coming out of a 30 zone.. 5,4,3,2,1, turbo..

Cloud of black reek out the 4" drainpipe. 😆

I read  a review of Andy Rouse’s Cossa in C&CC. Apparently it had about 70-80hp before the turbo spooled up, then the remaining 300 odd hp shortly thereafter. 

I can remember good old fashioned turbo lag adding an extra dimension to driving, especially overtaking.