Fen's Fiat Folly

Amelia

On 25/02/2023 at 23:03, mat_the_cat said:

What's the real worry with wobble bolts anyway? So long as the wheel is still centralised by the hub I don't see an engineering problem.

On 25/02/2023 at 23:28, Scrubworks said:

I'm not personally a fan of them, though I admit plenty of other people use them all the time without issue. These are aftermarket wheels, so a hub-centering ring would need to be used. As long as that's made of steel and fits well enough to take some of the load on the centre it should be ok. Most of them are just plastic to align the wheel properly, and the bolts take the load.

Just to clear up any confusion, the material of any spigot ring is irrelevant as they don't see any load, their only purpose is to centre the wheel on the hub while you tighten the nuts/bolts. 

Further to this, the only load a wheel bolt sees is along its length as it applies a clamping force between wheel and hub. Many people seem to think that the wheels are 'pushed' round by the bolts/studs but the driving force transferred from hub to wheel is through friction between the two surfaces which is provided by the bolts/studs and nuts clamping them together. In the case of 'wobble' nuts/bolts (I think that the name puts some off, call them PCD Correction Nuts/Bolts if you'd prefer) the clamping force is still applied directly along the length of the bolt/stud meaning that they are no different to standard equipment, with the obvious caveats regarding grade/specs et cetera. 

They simply have a collar which is able to float up to 2mm horizontally (at 90° to the clamping force, and which is clamped in place as you tighten them up. This means that you can safely use them for PCDs such as 4x98/100, 4x100/101.6, 5x113/114.3, 5x127/130 et cetera. 

Anyone scaremongering is either deliberately misleading you or just doesn't know how mechanical fixings work. They may mean well. 

Anyhoo, fiat good, Fen good. 

1 hour ago, yes oui si said:

Just to clear up any confusion, the material of any spigot ring is irrelevant as they don't see any load, their only purpose is to centre the wheel on the hub while you tighten the nuts/bolts. 

Further to this, the only load a wheel bolt sees is along its length as it applies a clamping force between wheel and hub. Many people seem to think that the wheels are 'pushed' round by the bolts/studs but the driving force transferred from hub to wheel is through friction between the two surfaces which is provided by the bolts/studs and nuts clamping them together. In the case of 'wobble' nuts/bolts (I think that the name puts some off, call them PCD Correction Nuts/Bolts if you'd prefer) the clamping force is still applied directly along the length of the bolt/stud meaning that they are no different to standard equipment, with the obvious caveats regarding grade/specs et cetera. 

They simply have a collar which is able to float up to 2mm horizontally (at 90° to the clamping force, and which is clamped in place as you tighten them up. This means that you can safely use them for PCDs such as 4x98/100, 4x100/101.6, 5x113/114.3, 5x127/130 et cetera. 

Anyone scaremongering is either deliberately misleading you or just doesn't know how mechanical fixings work. They may mean well. 

Anyhoo, fiat good, Fen good. 

Sensible advice….

Little update on the gearbox. 

The noise is more like a rattle, or even the noise when you don't quite select a gear properly. It's quite constant and goes away with speed/ increased revs. And I can kinda get it to quieten by moving the gearstick a bit to one side. 

I'm thinking it may be something as simple as linkages maybe? 

I still need to get into my scruffy clothes and crawl under at some point but I just had my bloody nails done... 😂

IMG_20230317_185537.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i wonder if it's the clutch rattling- does is stop if you put somr preasure on the pedal?

No, it seems to be the same no matter what, but only 5th gear. Although I did notice a quieter but similar sound in 2nd. 

Think I'll see if changing the gearbox oil is worth a shot. 

Does it make that sound while driving? A lot of gearboxes will make concerning noises without any load due to gear chatter and it's nothing to worry about. Also unnatural force on the driveshaft from the suspension hanging down. 

If it's doing it while driving then that will likely be the main shaft bearings I'm afraid. New gear oil could be worth a shot but if it comes out silver it's a ticking time bomb.

14 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Does it make that sound while driving? A lot of gearboxes will make concerning noises without any load due to gear chatter and it's nothing to worry about. Also unnatural force on the driveshaft from the suspension hanging down. 

If it's doing it while driving then that will likely be the main shaft bearings I'm afraid. New gear oil could be worth a shot but if it comes out silver it's a ticking time bomb.

Yeah, it does it while driving - only in 5th. I just had it jacked up to try to hear the noise. 

• 1 month later...

Tried topping up gearbox oil to see if that shut it up. ..

IMG20230514142817.thumb.jpg.8ed8263ddc092d869de330b4e7cb8890.jpg

Ah... 

Had to employ a standard Fen bodge to get the plug out as I didn't have a 12mm hex key or bit. 12mm headed bolt with sides ground down and mile grips FTW.

IMG20230514142810.thumb.jpg.bb7769db246f6083fc1c9607988dfbf0.jpg

IMG20230514142735.thumb.jpg.e7e1eef20b4360a4530346b8642e8b28.jpg

No different. Radio works though, so turned that up. Tbf, even with just the heater fan on, you can't really hear it. 

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

A tip for the future, wind 2 nuts on the end of the bolt which will jam together and you can use the jam nut to do up or undo with a spanner instead!

I did actually try that but I didn't have enough strength to get them to lock tight enough and they kept slipping 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Fennec said:

Quick question. 

After changing alternator belt, it kinda whines like it has a supercharger. Did I make it too tight?

Yes. Bearings are overloaded. Easy done on an older alternator that already has a bit of bearing wear. Just ease it off a little.