Fen's Fiat Folly

Amelia

On 2/24/2023 at 5:14 PM, Scrubworks said:

Weller used to make Cortina smoothies just like this, but now they don't. They also used to make the 5.5J Morris Minor steelies that I have, and now they also don't. Both of those wheels are now made by JBL though. It's almost as if the JBL crew broke into Weller's factory one night and stole a bunch of their production templates 🤔.

I had Weller wheels on my Triumph fifty years ago! Yes I am OLD

1969 Triumph 2000 Mk1

Quick shakedown this morning on the school run revealed that there's still a tiny bit of arch/tyre contact on heavy bumps/hard cornering, so will need to investigate, or at least broach the delicate subject with the driver that she may still need to shed a few pounds, being as it's only on that side 😅🤣

IMG20230227084305.jpg

IMG20230227084324.jpg

On 2/24/2023 at 8:08 PM, Dave_Q said:

No, and I think the OP at least implies that as if they weren't a member before how on earth might there be clues to their previous identity in some words about and pictures of cars?

Personally I would have gone name change rather than new account and just quickly posted "this is me now, deal with it" as you just can't make people not try to figure out who it was and drop hints in the thread.

It was going well for a good few posts, @Fennec please keep posting car stuff and try not to be discouraged by the inevitable.

Yeah, you know - you are probably right. I felt like a fresh start, but hey, can't avoid the past. 

So yep, I was DoctorRetro, I am now Fennec. This is me, deal with it. 

Before and after 'modifications' so far. Still an ongoing project of course. 🤣 

IMG_20230307_003741.thumb.jpg.c87060620f22f5368c9399a969f9cc92.jpg

As I said to the people at work, it changes nothing about how you deal with me, I'm still me. 😁

And I definitely don't expect ppl to change how much they criticise my cars and/or their modifications. It wouldn't be Autoshite without that, would it? 

Oh, yeah. About the car.

The gearbox 'slight rattle' has gotten a bit worse, it sounds like thrust bearing, but is only on 5th (sometimes 3rd) and it makes no difference putting clutch in. Synchromesh? 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:52 PM, Fennec said:

The gearbox 'slight rattle' has gotten a bit worse, it sounds like thrust bearing, but is only on 5th (sometimes 3rd) and it makes no difference putting clutch in. Synchromesh? 

drive like beko? drive like chaseracer? (no thatd be the drive thru) drive like taxi? drive like amazon delivery? :P

thicker oil in it maybe

if its not driving any different or the pedal is ok then wouldnt bother - only fix it if it goes ping (innit)

Yeah I'd agree with hairnet.  If it still works ignore it. There's the labour just taking the box out and putting it back in before you've paid someone to strip and inspect. Unless you can at least drop the box out yourself and refit after. 

Tldr, turn the radio up 😄

On 2/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, Fennec said:

Quick shakedown this morning on the school run revealed that there's still a tiny bit of arch/tyre contact on heavy bumps/hard cornering, so will need to investigate, or at least broach the delicate subject with the driver that she may still need to shed a few pounds, being as it's only on that side 😅🤣

IMG20230227084305.jpg

IMG20230227084324.jpg

Can you cover the sidewall of the tyres with something easy to remove and a contrasting colour to tye tyre/bodywork, and then check for witness marks on both after a quick GLF?

3 minutes ago, M'coli said:

Can you cover the sidewall of the tyres with something easy to remove and a contrasting colour to tye tyre/bodywork, and then check for witness marks on both after a quick GLF?

That's a good idea. 

Or put some masking tape on the arches and look for black marks on that maybe? 

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Only way to stop that is arch mod (rolling) or put actual appropriate wheels and tyres on. 

Do it before it goes bang. 

It's the plastic arches that are rubbing as opposed to the metal, so should be good. (I think) 🤔

5 minutes ago, hairnet said:

radio 3 doesnt go up that high?

also synchro doesnt make noises???? only there to help with change innit?

Can crunch, and can cause a whine when worn. 

Depends on the noise, if it's a whine then could be synchro (think of the noise of straight cut gears, Eg trying to do 30mph in reverse!) 

If it's a harsh rotational scraping/rumbling/hollow sound that increases with speed but no difference with the clutch up or down then it's one of the bearings internally

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Can crunch, and can cause a whine when worn. 

Depends on the noise, if it's a whine then could be synchro (think of the noise of straight cut gears, Eg trying to do 30mph in reverse!) 

If it's a harsh rotational scraping/rumbling/hollow sound that increases with speed but no difference with the clutch up or down then it's one of the bearings internally

It's more of a rattle. Kinda goes away at higher revs/speeds.

Let's just say, if the rear gearbox mount splits completely under load, you'll know all about it, the bang is terrifying and feels like you've ran over a landmine 😂 So will anyone behind you when they get showered with sparks from the bracket swinging back and hitting the road 😂 Doesn't really do much actual damage though if the other 2 mounts are decent.