Fen's Fiat Folly

Amelia

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Really? REALLY?? That's your takeaway from a new member politely asking people to show the bare minimum of respect to them? Well done for allowing the thread to get to a whole 20 posts before bringing out the bigotry - cheers!

They aren’t a new member. That’s the point. Deciding to change gender, name, religion or whatever doesn’t make you a new member. This isn’t about deadnaming, it’s just how it is. Your opinions may differ, you may call me a bigot, that’s in your gift. 

I don’t give two shits if someone decides they’re going to identity as a woman, wax crayon or even a washer for a Renault 5 sump plug. What I’m not keen on is someone saying “Hi i’m _____, I’m xxxx protected status and you will like my car and not be in any way negative about it.” I can’t imagine any other world when a member of another community would introduce themselves in such a way. 

I’m almost certain I’ll be ripped to shreds for this, and so be it.  

And yeah, what BI said - I don't give a shit what heshetheyetc want to call themselves, if I'm going to be non - complimentary about a car or stuff done to it I will, if it's on a public forum it's fair game - you dont get to make rules up to suit you unless it's by consensus. Or force. 

And vice-versa. I'd say obviously but it's not anymore.

Or if you don't like something, you could always just keep it to yourself. 

Back on topic, it's hinted that a few cars will be coming and going in the near future, got anything specific planned? Or is it just a case of seize opportunities as they arise? 

7 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Or if you don't like something, you could always just keep it to yourself. 

Back on topic, it's hinted that a few cars will be coming and going in the near future, got anything specific planned? Or is it just a case of seize opportunities as they arise? 

True, but then it's less of a forum?  Good point either way. 

Me or OP ?   I dont change often....

Anyway -  nice colour, don't see many left anywhere these days, rot and lack of maintenance etc etc.  On that note ...

41 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What I’m not keen on is someone saying “Hi i’m _____, I’m xxxx protected status and you will like my car and not be in any way negative about it.” I can’t imagine any other world when a member of another community would introduce themselves in such a way.

Ah ok fair enough, well do let me know if you find any threads on this forum where anyone is saying that or anything even remotely similar (because it certainly hasn't happened in this thread)

50 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What I’m not keen on is someone saying “Hi i’m _____, I’m xxxx protected status and you will like my car and not be in any way negative about it.”

I don't disagree, but to be fair, that's pretty inoffensive compared to the mentalist shit Nicola H used to come out with after they transitioned.  Fennec hasn't mentioned the patriarchy once so far.

Can always rely on Autoshite to turn a thread about cars into something other than cars 😂

There's a special section for these discussions, and it's found here:

https://autoshite.com/forum/18-politics-and-similar/

I don't disagree with the sentiment either, but there's a place for it. And it's one thread out of many, which you really aren't forced to read 

That actually looks damned good! My only concern is mechanical, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fatigue life of wheel bearings and wobble studs.

Oh, and another point, check the rear brake linings. They probably won't have worn out but if they're original they may be at the point of delaminating from the shoes.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What I’m not keen on is someone saying “Hi i’m _____, I’m xxxx protected status and you will like my car and not be in any way negative about it.” 

Well, I reread the original post and I couldn't see anything like that in it.

They did say "All I politely ask is that if there's clues to my pre-transition identity in my posts , that we ignore it and just leave that in the past? I'd appreciate it so much."

Doesn't seem unreasonable?

Is there something else going on I'm missing? Not a new member?

1 minute ago, cort1977 said:

Well, I reread the original post and I couldn't see anything like that in it.

They did say "All I politely ask is that if there's clues to my pre-transition identity in my posts , that we ignore it and just leave that in the past? I'd appreciate it so much."

Doesn't seem unreasonable?

Is there something else going on I'm missing? Not a new member?

No, and I think the OP at least implies that as if they weren't a member before how on earth might there be clues to their previous identity in some words about and pictures of cars?

Personally I would have gone name change rather than new account and just quickly posted "this is me now, deal with it" as you just can't make people not try to figure out who it was and drop hints in the thread.

It was going well for a good few posts, @Fennec please keep posting car stuff and try not to be discouraged by the inevitable.

I like the wheels, I like the car. I do not like them together… however… if you’ve carried your modification style from your previous incarnation then I am sure you’re not finished with it yet!

Looking forward to seeing how things progress with it and any future purchases! 

Appreciate the notes on stresses on components, and places to watch out for issues . Will definitely keep an eye on those. That's why I love this place, loads of good knowledge that people share. ❤️

It's basically just a fun / mess around thing, and won't be putting loads of miles on it as is. It has spacer/adapters and spigot rings on to help compensate for the 2mm difference in pcd, so should be fine. Luckily it's no performance machine. 😅

As for the potential for being banded, I will definitely have a look. I think they do 7 inch wide, they're definitely not more than that. 

Screenshot_2023-02-24-20-38-02-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

On 2/24/2023 at 6:46 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

you will like my car and not be in any way negative about it.”

That wasn't the request though.  At no point was any mention made about liking or not liking the car.

Personally I think it looks absolutely fucking awful.  But then it is a Seicento, so it looked pretty terrible before the wheels were added and the arches glued on...

20 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

What's the real worry with wobble bolts anyway? So long as the wheel is still centralised by the hub I don't see an engineering problem.

I'm not personally a fan of them, though I admit plenty of other people use them all the time without issue. These are aftermarket wheels, so a hub-centering ring would need to be used. As long as that's made of steel and fits well enough to take some of the load on the centre it should be ok. Most of them are just plastic to align the wheel properly, and the bolts take the load.