Fen's Fiat Folly

Amelia

Hiya everyone 

I thought I'd start a thread on my car adventures, because I'm very likely to go through a few in the coming months/years!

A couple of things before I start.

1. I know there's a few on this forum who aren't fans of altering cars. I am, and I apologize (tongue in cheek) for some of the abominations I may create!

2. I am a trans woman, and although I'm not going to go on about it (I'd rather keep it about the cars), I obviously do have a 'previous me'. All I politely ask is that if there's clues to my pre-transition identity in my posts , that we ignore it and just leave that in the past? I'd appreciate it so much.

Now, onto the Seicento...

As it was when I bought it:

IMG20221005182455.thumb.jpg.caba2e85100d89ffc3b1154b3e768653.jpg

A sweet little thing, 899cc, old lady owner, 78k. Looks lovely in the pictures, but not without its faults.

- paint poor, peeling under fuel cap.

- rear of sills need a tickle with the sparkly stick.

- gearbox rattly in 5th.

- oil leaks onto exhaust manifold

- noise from steering somewhere

So of course the priority was wheels and suspension 🤔🤣

To be continued...

Saw these wheels on ebay with brand new tyres, had to have them! Wrong pcd, too wide and miles away, but hey, YOLO or whatever the young people say...

IMG20221021161256.thumb.jpg.fb060c6b28b68f7000d584ac5711a6ae.jpg

Yeah, that's going to need some 'adjustment'

IMG20221028164556.thumb.jpg.417e6a9e0a5b424daadc57b52e68e7ab.jpg

Mildly lowered - 30mm I think.

IMG20221120135451.thumb.jpg.59cc534906c3e1dbcafff52179cce047.jpg

Arch extensions were a pain because the set I got was mismatched, and then the replacement set was all the larger size 🤦

So have done the best I can to get her legal. (All mods are declared, insurance wasn't too bad, 375 with Adrian Flux -well, through Sterling insurance.)

Weirdly, I can't find the finished result pics, but here's how she looked before I messed with the rears to get them sitting closer. 

IMG20230211132640.thumb.jpg.abe0f5bc94366e219fc45aaee7720093.jpg

5 hours ago, Fennec said:

1. I know there's a few on this forum who aren't fans of altering cars. I am, and I apologize (tongue in cheek) for some of the abominations I may create!

As long as you don't put a Golf TDI engine in a perfectly-preserved unrestored 1950s French car you'll be alright I reckon

On 2/23/2023 at 2:07 PM, privatewire said:

Those wheels look great, what are they?

JBW smoothies. Basically the same as lotus cortina steels, but in 4 x 100 flavour. Had never seen them before. And as they came with brand new Yokohamas, I just had to have them! 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:40 PM, Christine said:

You need skirts !!  ☺️

Oh ... just so happens there's an Abarth pair  in my shed .. Glue them over the  sill repairs to save  filler !!

I like little Fiats , that looks cool..

Got plenty. Oh, you mean for the car? 

Good idea! 😁

Wait, you're fitting aftermarket with the appropriate level of clearance, camber, and sufficient arch extensions to remain safe and legal? You'll never make it in the modified car scene 😅. The whole purpose of modifying the car should be to make it a noisy deathtrap with the driving characteristics of a down-at-heel ride on lawnmower.

4 minutes ago, Scrubworks said:

Wait, you're fitting aftermarket with the appropriate level of clearance, camber, and sufficient arch extensions to remain safe and legal? You'll never make it in the modified car scene 😅. The whole purpose of modifying the car should be to make it a noisy deathtrap with the driving characteristics of a down-at-heel ride on lawnmower.

🤣 I know, I'm obviously getting old. 

Even adjusted the arches because there was an occasion tyre to plastic contact over hard bumps. The old me would have just thought 'F it, the tyre will create its own clearance' 

8 hours ago, Fennec said:

Saw these wheels on ebay with brand new tyres, had to have them! Wrong pcd, too wide and miles away, but hey, YOLO or whatever the young people say...

IMG20221021161256.thumb.jpg.fb060c6b28b68f7000d584ac5711a6ae.jpg

Yeah, that's going to need some 'adjustment'

IMG20221028164556.thumb.jpg.417e6a9e0a5b424daadc57b52e68e7ab.jpg

Mildly lowered - 30mm I think.

IMG20221120135451.thumb.jpg.59cc534906c3e1dbcafff52179cce047.jpg

Arch extensions were a pain because the set I got was mismatched, and then the replacement set was all the larger size 🤦

So have done the best I can to get her legal. (All mods are declared, insurance wasn't too bad, 375 with Adrian Flux -well, through Sterling insurance.)

Weirdly, I can't find the finished result pics, but here's how she looked before I messed with the rears to get them sitting closer. 

Fuck me.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:17 AM, Fennec said:

I am a trans woman, and although I'm not going to go on about it (I'd rather keep it about the cars), I obviously do have a 'previous me'. All I politely ask is that if there's clues to my pre-transition identity in my posts , that we ignore it

Really hoping that every new thread now begins with the OPs gender, preferences and a moratorium on what can and can't be written about.  Sounds great. Really progressive.

23 hours ago, Christine said:

You need skirts !!  

Leave it...

On 2/23/2023 at 9:52 AM, Fennec said:

here's how she looked before I messed with the rears to get them sitting closer. 

Let me know when it's pink.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Really hoping that every new thread now begins with the OPs gender, preferences and a moratorium on what can and can't be written about.  Sounds great. Really progressive.

Well sometimes even when it's not mentioned, you get people who just straight up ask, don't you Bornite? ;)

9 hours ago, Matty said:

I've got the john brown smoothies on my austin and they don't have a dish that wide. They do make them for rakes of different applications though

20220510_114814.thumb.jpg.d6699797fcb3b06cc448678388fc3056.jpg

Weller used to make Cortina smoothies just like this, but now they don't. They also used to make the 5.5J Morris Minor steelies that I have, and now they also don't. Both of those wheels are now made by JBL though. It's almost as if the JBL crew broke into Weller's factory one night and stole a bunch of their production templates 🤔.

10 hours ago, Matty said:

I've got the john brown smoothies on my austin and they don't have a dish that wide. They do make them for rakes of different applications though

20220510_114814.thumb.jpg.d6699797fcb3b06cc448678388fc3056.jpg

Nice - suit it.

The 'Fiat' ones look like they have weld marks, might just be shadow but..hopefully not.

The scrub radius is miles out - any other changes to allow it to, say, turn and brake predictably or just Stance! Yo! etc ?

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Really? REALLY?? That's your takeaway from a new member politely asking people to show the bare minimum of respect to them? Well done for allowing the thread to get to a whole 20 posts before bringing out the bigotry - cheers!

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Really hoping that every new thread now begins with the OPs gender, preferences and a moratorium on what can and can't be written about.  Sounds great. Really progressive

Careful,you'll cause pandemonium with remarks like that!

Like the Fiat,less sure about 4x100 on a 4x98 PCD though!