Blue Allegro 1500 Special

jlaldridge1988

Hi I am on the serch to find a blue allegro 1500 special REG vkk820x That I used to own, i saved it from being scraped had been off the road since 1984 and it was a labour of love to breath some life back into it, would love to get in touch with its current owner who I think may be on this forum Many thanks, james

allegro 2.jpg

allegro.jpg

hi andyrew am so glad its still going ,hope she has behaved for you! I had a hunch that it had been banger race for some reason .I sold the car and instantly regretted it. am so surprised it is in Bedford, I live in Wellingborough and used it daily to commute to melchborne and back . I have photos and videos of when i bought it will try and dig them out  have also got the original tyres and some other bits and bobs. do you know any of its history , if you don't I can fill you in , its had quite an interesting past. if your ever out and about in it and fancy crossing the county boarder would love to see it again. 

2 hours ago, jlaldridge1988 said:

hi andyrew am so glad its still going ,hope she has behaved for you! I had a hunch that it had been banger race for some reason .I sold the car and instantly regretted it. am so surprised it is in Bedford, I live in Wellingborough and used it daily to commute to melchborne and back . I have photos and videos of when i bought it will try and dig them out  have also got the original tyres and some other bits and bobs. do you know any of its history , if you don't I can fill you in , its had quite an interesting past. if your ever out and about in it and fancy crossing the county boarder would love to see it again. 

I was told by a chap (chairman?) From the allegro club at a show that it was one of a batch that had been imported from belgium in the early 80s and converted to rhd with scrap parts. which i had figured given the carpets and wiper park position. It apparently would originally had 2 round headlights which possibly  explains the rather chopped headlight bowls. 

I did find the belgium plate behind the front plate which is a nice little bit of history. 

Theres some posts about it in my "Andys Awful Autos" thread.  Regarding some work ive done to it. 

On 2/21/2023 at 10:19 PM, Andyrew said:

I was told by a chap (chairman?) From the allegro club at a show that it was one of a batch that had been imported from belgium in the early 80s and converted to rhd with scrap parts. which i had figured given the carpets and wiper park position. It apparently would originally had 2 round headlights which possibly  explains the rather chopped headlight bowls. 

I did find the belgium plate behind the front plate which is a nice little bit of history. 

Theres some posts about it in my "Andys Awful Autos" thread.  Regarding some work ive done to it. 

They genuinely just wanged a UK number plate over the top of the original foreign one?! :D

I had posted about in somewhere on here before possibly on the grin thread i think, another member gave some more info regarding it. What i recall was the plates are issued to the owner and you keep the same plate and just swap it to each car. The plate would have been issued on a previous car then swapped onto the aggro around 75 -76 when new.  The rear plates are gov issued  the front was owners choice.  

Something alomg those lines 

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

I had posted about in somewhere on here before possibly on the grin thread i think, another member gave some more info regarding it. What i recall was the plates are issued to the owner and you keep the same plate and just swap it to each car. The plate would have been issued on a previous car then swapped onto the aggro around 75 -76 when new.  The rear plates are gov issued  the front was owners choice.  

Something alomg those lines 

My Europlate book says that's the case, at least it was in 1994 when it was published.

At one time Italy used to only supply a rear plate & owners were expected to get a front one made up.  Later on the front was officially issued but was small with the area code as a suffix so a set couldn't be split between 2 car.

I heard some RHD Allegros were sold new with LHD carpets due to a supply issue.