Talk you never want to hear on viewing a car...

sierraman

I’d never buy a car that’s had one lady owner. I looked at a 6 year old mondeo ST back in the day with 50k miles on it. The back seats were fucked, all the scuff panels were borked, and they had just had all 4 wheels refurbished. When I test drove it, it was horrible. Brakes shit, clutch shit, pulled to one side. Got back , threw him the keys and walked off. Bought one the following week 6 months newer with 99k up it and drove like new. Lovely car that was! 

5 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I’d never buy a car that’s had one lady owner. I looked at a 6 year old mondeo ST back in the day with 50k miles on it. The back seats were fucked, all the scuff panels were borked, and they had just had all 4 wheels refurbished. When I test drove it, it was horrible. Brakes shit, clutch shit, pulled to one side. Got back , threw him the keys and walked off. Bought one the following week 6 months newer with 99k up it and drove like new. Lovely car that was! 

Was the 50k Mondy advertised as 'Local Car'? It amazes me how so many low mileage 'performance' cars were just used every day as workhorses, only slower! Motorway driven cars are always going to be much better in every way. 

4 hours ago, Mrcento said:

'Will fly through the next MOT'

If you're that confident, put it in then, i dare you.... sell it with a years clean ticket, make more money, win/win for you surely?, No?. Says all you need to know.

I did once raise that point with a seller and got the quite valid response that they had transferred the insurance onto their new car and were therefore not covered to drive the old one to the MOT station - the possible few extra quid on the sale price not worth the potential IN10 and fine.

Some scammer wasted three pages on an ebay ad with flowery praise for his mildly-rare '69 Mustang boss 302. Every detail down to the speed in 1st thru 4th and the patron saint of the town the carburetor was made in. When you get to the 10th paragraph, buried in the chaff, is:

"...ran well until I drove over a fire plug."      Fire hydrant maintenance scheduled for the City of Bismarck; could affect  your laundry | KX NEWS

‘Ideal fishing car’ - base spec horrible Astra Estate diesel, flat blue paint, shit aftermarket trims, excessive numbers of air fresheners to hide the Golden Virginia, brown cloud stain on headlining, some seat covers to hide all the piss stains, radio permanently tuned to AM and mud absolutely fucking everywhere. Throw in some miscellaneous starting fault that no cunt can cure. 

10 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Threw HIM the keys?  Did you go and view the car during the week, in that case?

12 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

My doctor has two big dogs, three children under 5, and drives a fucked '04-plate Multipla. Worth buying, should he sell it?

My best friend is a Doctor (academic, not medical). Definitely wouldn’t buy one of his cars, tho. Mobile tips, never serviced properly.  As they say, “you can take the boy out of Sunderland, but not the Sunderland out of the boy”.

"Selling for a friend".

Well, get said friend here so they can sell it.  I don't want to talk to a middle-man on a private sale.  If I wanted bullshit and waffle, I'd go to a dealer or car sales place.  If your "friend" really doesn't want the hassle of selling and they don't know what to do, flog it to webuyanyoldheapofshit instead.  I'm buying privately for a reason.

That, and even worse "I'll meet you at Tescos / a car park / some other location."

Not a chance.  At best that means you're trying to hide something, at worse it's an ambush where 8 of your mates will turn up and remove the cash I have on me to buy the car.  Get to fuck.

Also, any advert that is written in text speak, badly spelled or otherwise sounds like the seller has a room-temperature IQ.  Just not worth it.

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

‘Ideal fishing car’ - base spec horrible Astra Estate diesel, flat blue paint, shit aftermarket trims, excessive numbers of air fresheners to hide the Golden Virginia, brown cloud stain on headlining, some seat covers to hide all the piss stains, radio permanently tuned to AM and mud absolutely fucking everywhere. Throw in some miscellaneous starting fault that no cunt can cure. 

You forgot that lingering smell that means you just know that 'fishing' has meant 'pulling bream out of the local canal'

14 minutes ago, De Selby said:

You forgot that lingering smell that means you just know that 'fishing' has meant 'pulling bream out of the local canal'

It’s never going to be pulling rainbow trout from a stream somewhere is it? You know it’ll be a really boring afternoon sat on the sludgy banks of some heavily polluted stretch of estuary using it as an excuse to escape a sexless marriage drinking cans of Crest Super until you fall asleep on one of those cantilever box things they all seem to have. 

25 minutes ago, Talbot said:

"Selling for a friend".

Well, get said friend here so they can sell it.  I don't want to talk to a middle-man on a private sale.  If I wanted bullshit and waffle, I'd go to a dealer or car sales place.  If your "friend" really doesn't want the hassle of selling and they don't know what to do, flog it to webuyanyoldheapofshit instead.  I'm buying privately for a reason.

That, and even worse "I'll meet you at Tescos / a car park / some other location."

Not a chance.  At best that means you're trying to hide something, at worse it's an ambush where 8 of your mates will turn up and remove the cash I have on me to buy the car.  Get to fuck.

Also, any advert that is written in text speak, badly spelled or otherwise sounds like the seller has a room-temperature IQ.  Just not worth it.

I always took it that they were doing bird when they said that. Round our end if someone said they’d been ‘away a for a bit’ it didn’t mean they’d been sunning it up in Torremolinos.