RS3 Found at the roadside dead

Hawkeyethenoo

Yesterday. Familiar tale, young LAD, too much POWER, no where near enough TALENT. Shame as it was a decent, if abused motor.  Sad times and yet another insurance claim we're all paying for....

TBH, it doesn't look too badly bent and will probably live on, Cat C mate, to be repaired,  to be crashed another time further down the road by some other pleb.

IMG_20230206_192333[3685].jpg

IMG_20230206_192329[3686].jpg

It’s probably stolen and then wrecked.  All these aggressive boy racer German things are prime ‘burgle a house for a free car’ fodder. 

I actually misread the topic as ‘R53….’ and expected to see a very tired 02 plate Cooper S, bonnet up, resting in a very big pool of coolant/oil mixture….

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I actually misread the topic as ‘R53….’ and expected to see a very tired 02 plate Cooper S, bonnet up, resting in a very big pool of coolant/oil mixture….

at your age thats not a surprise but youre a nice man so we forgive you :D

feel free to dis r50 r53 and r56 minis some more :D

10 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

To be fair, I think many of us went through the fuckwit-teenage driver thing.  I managed to crash a Maestro automatic, which is probably 20% of the power of a S3.

Managed to spin a dangly mirror Sierra estate on the Coast Road at Southport in the rain.  Dad's investment in cheap tyres coupled with my adventurous driving style, which tested and found the point of no return in "style" really wasn't my fault. Honest. 

My mate Mark who was the oldest of us and therefore the first to get a driving licence ran out of talent early on in his driving career.

This consisted of running wide on a bend in the farm-spec Peugeot 305 he drove and bending the front in a hedge.

ISTR they pulled it more or less straight with maybe a tractor and put a new grill on off another one they kept for spares. 

I do think that the level of power and driver aids you can get on the cars that you can either PCP or rent* as a yoof nowadays means that the level of where you run out of talent is much more likely to be catastrophic rather than mildly bendy.

You’d be surprised, my thoughts are it’ll be up on Copart then cobbled back together, with stolen parts and flogged off some bombsite place to some would be drug dealers. 

You say sad times but chances are the driver was driving like a complete wanker with no thought to other people. Very possibly under the influence of coke or whatever. 

An identical car made a hole in the hedge just 1/4 mile away about a month ago. Didn’t look that badly damaged, just very sad with it’s bum in the air. On the outside of a corner. When it was removed after a few days it left a LOT of small broken plastic bits behind.

I know of 4 or 5 cars locally lying in fields, after the police changed their policy on recovery.  At least 3 are "fast" Audi's.. the others are BMWs.  The local farmers are getting pretty fed up, and are making life really difficult for insurers and recovery people.  Recovery trucks rarely have enough cable on the winch, and farmers won't let you in the field.. police aren't interested as its not causing an obstruction.. stalemate.

3 hours ago, Fat_Pirate said:

To be fair, I think many of us went through the fuckwit-teenage driver thing. 

I certainly didn't - I was too scared to, because if I'd wrecked a car driving like a fuckwit my parents would have kicked me out of the house and disowned me.  (I did once have a minor bump in my second car, no massive damage done, and in response they didn't speak to me for about a week.)

10 hours ago, Fat_Pirate said:

To be fair, I think many of us went through the fuckwit-teenage driver thing.  I managed to crash a Maestro automatic, which is probably 20% of the power of a S3.

I ashamedly agree. I calmed down about 6 months after passing my test and managed not to crash but most of my pals weren't so lucky. 3 of them totaled their parent's cars and one skidded it in a petrol station and bumped into a wall, no serious damage thankfully.

The difference being, because this was the 90s, we were all in 1.1 4 speed Fiestas, small Fiats or if one of us was really jammy, a 1.6 engined medium sized car. As such nobody was really going fast enough to get hurt.

One of my pals went the other way though. We all slagged him for driving like an old granny after passing his test but after he'd been driving for a few years he was able to borrow his parents cars. These ranged from a Ford Puma to a BMW E46 323. He drove these like they were on fire and I even got a bit scared at times.

That will 100% be back on the road, they won't scrap that, not a chance in hell. It's a 30 grand motor that needs a set of airbags, a bit of bodywork and a load of bits of plastic.

If it's unrecorded it'll get fixed to a very good standard and sold for good money, if it's categorised it'll get fixed to an OK standard with bits off a nicked one.

Nothing has really changed since people were ringing xr2s in the 1980s.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I ashamedly agree. I calmed down about 6 months after passing my test and managed not to crash but most of my pals weren't so lucky. 3 of them totaled their parent's cars and one skidded it in a petrol station and bumped into a wall, no serious damage thankfully.

The difference being, because this was the 90s, we were all in 1.1 4 speed Fiestas, small Fiats or if one of us was really jammy, a 1.6 engined medium sized car. As such nobody was really going fast enough to get hurt.

One of my pals went the other way though. We all slagged him for driving like an old granny after passing his test but after he'd been driving for a few years he was able to borrow his parents cars. These ranged from a Ford Puma to a BMW E46 323. He drove these like they were on fire and I even got a bit scared at times.

I wrote off my mk1 Renault 5 1.1 in style when I was in my late teens. The mk1s were always wallowy to say the least. I was hoofing it around a right-hand bend too fast and the road was a tad slippery. Cue back end sliding slightly, back wheel clipping a rock low-down in the hedge and the back end twitching the other way. For the next few hundred yards I was fighting the steering like BA Baracus on a bad day. Unfortunately I lost and my 5 ended up spinning 90° and smashed into the back wheel of a parked Tranny tipper. The pickup was fine bar a bent mudguard which I coughed a few ££ for. My car was completely written off though. 

If common sense had prevailed, I'd have steered away from Renault 5s and their wobbly handling. However, I promptly replaced it with a tidy run-out model mk1 R5 (B plate) which someone had already fitted Gordini alloys to. It looked great, although not quite as cool as this one.

1981-renault-5-6093b716e9c42.thumb.jpg.8fa2a3d6e2b51eeb12fbe0f8bea205d9.jpg

12 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

I know of 4 or 5 cars locally lying in fields, after the police changed their policy on recovery.  At least 3 are "fast" Audi's.. the others are BMWs.  The local farmers are getting pretty fed up, and are making life really difficult for insurers and recovery people.  Recovery trucks rarely have enough cable on the winch, and farmers won't let you in the field.. police aren't interested as its not causing an obstruction.. stalemate.

That'll explain why there's been a Scirocco embedded in the middle of a large roundabout near me since New Year's Day then.

I crashed a Citroen Xsara Coop when I was much younger, although it wasn't my fault (honest!).  Someone pulled out of a side road and I had a choice of hitting the other car, which would have been an horrendous disaster, or attempting evasive action and hoping for the best.  I picked the latter, whipped round the front of the offending motorist in a manner worthy of Neo dodging bullets in The Matrix, and immediately thereafter crashed the Xsara into a ditch.  The car at fault got off unscathed and, of course, hightailed it as soon as the driver had realized what had happened.  Some people.  

22 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

It’s probably stolen and then wrecked.  All these aggressive boy racer German things are prime ‘burgle a house for a free car’ fodder. 

Deffo not TWOC'd. My son sort of knows the lad that crashed it. Maybe 19, and a coke-head who drives like a total plum. Well wouldn't you just know it... His dad should have bought him a Corsa 12v, infact he should have said, take the bus or walk you dunderheid, would have been safer and better for all concerned. I blame the parents.

Only car I've ever actually written orf.  1984 Audi 80 Quattro back in around 1996. I was on a backroad, came up to a narrowing stretch of road on the brow of a hill with my lights on mainbeam, yes it was pitch dark, so didn't see the old dear approaching in her Clio, until it was too late! Said old dear, who was so far over to the right, on my side of the road, I had to dive into the NS ditch to try and avoid her, but the Quattro's OFS wing collided with her's, as I bounced up and down in the ditch, probably doing about 25mph by that time, next thing I know, the car is full on its offside, side, and there's sparks flying everywhere! As I think, I'm glad I'm wearing my seat belt - as we then bounce back onto four wheels again and the car spins round and mounts the right hand verge as I bring things to a hault, with all the idiot lights on wondering if the old dear is okay? 

I run back and she is, the damage to her car is minimal, it's still driveable, dent in the wing and broken indicator etc. The Quattro is fucked, every single panel is bashed in, except the boot. I end up with a total loss as I was third party and she was stopped, I couldn't in the distance available. I'd just put a new manifold on it the week before and ended up getting £250, as scrap. :sad:

I'll never put a lifejacket on again, chief.

1 hour ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

His dad should have bought him a Corsa 12v, infact he should have said, take the bus or walk you dunderheid, would have been safer and better for all concerned. I blame the parents.

Exactly.  It pisses me off that everyone seems to get bought a car with a personalised number plate by their parents for their 17th birthday these days.  I had to pass my test first, my first car was my mum's Rover 100, which I had to pay my parents for.

Somehow I’ve never written a car off. About 5 months after passing my test I was driving my first car - a Citroen Ax -  along a long straight main road that had a load of slushy snow in the middle after recent bad weather, stupidly I was eating a McDonalds double cheeseburger and holding the steering wheel with my knee. Must have drifted slightly, caught the slush, spun 360 degrees and ended up in the path of a 40ft HGV. Luckily managed to whack it in first and get back in my lane but I’ve never done anything as stupid since… 

most of us have had some sort of incident but young guns in 200+bhp cars with no experience certainly exacerbates the problem…

Passed my test in 1987, one accident since and not my fault (rear ended). Anyway, back then I had a mate who’s dad had a brand new E reg Capri 280 Brooklands. Said mate was insured for it but cover was reduced to TP only when he was driving. He was allowed to take the Capri to drop his mum off at the hairdressers on the strict instructions to come straight home afterwards. You can guess what’s coming, yep, took it for a hoon and rounded a bend on wrong side head on into some poor bastard coming the other way. Hospital required but both ok. Capri was a total loss though. Was a long time before his dad would talk to him 😬