92 cadillac Eldorado

Frogchod

However did they get away with not registering it for so long? My sister emigrated to France with her car and was in trouble with the police for not registering her car after less than 2 years. 

Perhaps someone in UK could buy it, repatriate it*, and then you could import it afresh? Maybe an mot whilst it was back here in DVLA land, and a different reg. number?

**And maybe get in the poo for neither taxing nor sorning it since 2011?

7 hours ago, Asimo said:

However did they get away with not registering it for so long? My sister emigrated to France with her car and was in trouble with the police for not registering her car after less than 2 years. 

Perhaps someone in UK could buy it, repatriate it*, and then you could import it afresh? Maybe an mot whilst it was back here in DVLA land, and a different reg. number?

**And maybe get in the poo for neither taxing nor sorning it since 2011?

Rego process needs to start within 30days of arrival. This has always been the case. Post brexit they're clamping down on the rules.

There used to be loads of UK registered cars around here, now there's just a handful. 

I've messaged the keeper to ask if there's an 846a or quitas fiscal with it. 

If there's a quitas in previous owners name then it'll be near impossible to register. 

'spose I should've though to ask on Sunday 😖

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

in France and @Frogchod

17 hours ago, Frogchod said:

Apparently I need customs form 836a which'll need proof of import date within 30 days. Which can't happen as this has been here for years. 

Buy car.  Drive to England.  Drive back to France.  Use ticket from ferry/chunnel crossing (with number plate on it of course) to show the "import" date as being last week.  Jobbed.

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

Buy car.  Drive to England.  Drive back to France.  Use ticket from ferry/chunnel crossing (with number plate on it of course) to show the "import" date as being last week.  Jobbed.

a possibly even simpler method along those lines, would be someone here just applies for the V5, gets V5 in their name, sends V5 to @Frogchod and then he can point to the nice recent issue date (and English details/address) on the V5  as "proof" the vehicle has only come in within 30 days LOL :) 

(but I theres gotta be a more official way of doing it since it wont be the only time someones abandoned a British car over there since brexit!)

• 2 weeks later...

This might even be the same color as my DeVille! The 4.9 V8 really should be a pretty trouble free engine, especially compared to the potential issues of the Northstar.

I'd love to help with the registration process but with this being on a UK plate in France god knows what they will require as proof of import.

Edit: these Euro indicators need to go asap!

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

I've always thought it'd be fun to try something like this. I'd feel like JR Ewing or something 

You wouldn't: JR always had a grey Mercedes.

6 minutes ago, hairnet said:

tell us more about delivery mans merc merci

I used to drive one of those for work, back in the 80s.  You think an LDV Convoy is primitive?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... drive a mile in a 508D!  I've done many, many more than one mile, so trust me.

Edit: SKD 428T.

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

tell us more about delivery mans merc merci

That Merc was a bag o shite. 

It made unhealthy creaking and groaning noises as it was loaded. 

Slow as feck, down to 30kph on the hills. Probably more forward thrust from the clouds of black smoke from the exhaust... 

IMG_20230211_151627.thumb.jpg.1b69bbfee806bbfa6e12544fa7d07c7c.jpg

First hurdle achieved 😁

I've been in contact with a customs official who actually lives in the real world and understands there's grey between the black and white of the rules. 

With a little* forgery an import certificate should arrive soon 😁

Just got to pay 77 euros. 

Next is an application to FFVE (frogshire national classic car association)  for an attestation. 

After that it's the dreaded ANTS (frogshire DVla) 

• 2 months later...

Cadillac registration is still ongoing... 

Failed CT on tyres and headlights, loads of advisories... 

Three big boxes of goodies have arrived from Rockauto. 

Discs, pads, all filters, plugs, dizzy cap, bearings etc etc. 

All will be fitted over the next few weeks. 

The Buick hasn't been forgotten, I think I sorted the flat battery issue. 

I've been for a waft in it today. I think prefer it to the Caddy 🤔

IMG_20230430_155243.thumb.jpg.44c317e45e68686097cd26650e4ec41f.jpg