End of shite?

HMC

22 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I came to the sad conclusion today that there’s nothing 21st century that I’d really want to buy. The odd thing tickles my fancy, but it’s stuff like Toyota Crowns and big 7 series stuff. Otherwise, it’s all 30/40 years old for me to become aroused. 

I’m in a fortunate position in that I’m paid to have a new car, so a few weeks off the road sourcing bits for an old shonker isn’t a drama. So I think I’ll just stick with the pair of red basers I have. 

(A decent Carina/Camry could change that in an instant tho!)

I reckon I'm beginning to sound like rain  man I've said this so many times on here but, all this will soon be banned. Who cares if the car you want is a grand more than this time last year? Moneys money, you'll always make more. Bollocks to savings, spend it all on ridiculous insuitable vehicles now and die with happy memories!

52 minutes ago, Matty said:

I reckon I'm beginning to sound like rain  man I've said this so many times on here but, all this will soon be banned. Who cares if the car you want is a grand more than this time last year? Moneys money, you'll always make more. Bollocks to savings, spend it all on ridiculous insuitable vehicles now and die with happy memories!

Save your breath, the general consensus on here is ‘I bought a 3 series in 2007 for £3.25 so because of the lack of ownership of my own circumstances, someone should sell me one for the same price’

9 hours ago, wesacosa said:

until every other greedy council see what dictator Khan is being allowed to get away with and fancies a bit of that

I think an exception is being made for London as if they milk the public via ULEZ cameras they have to get fewer bailouts from the government.

Other councils that implement a CAZ have to ringfence the funds to use to improve transport links, I wrote to the mayor's office to check if this was the case for ULEZ but it just goes into their central black hole.

8 hours ago, Matty said:

Says the retired man in his 90s.

You are not wrong, but when you are 56, and your retirement hopes are at best, a set of carefully assembled assumptions, or when you are 30 and have 3 people depending on you, and your income barely covers the basics, sometimes it's hard not to be prudent. 

13 hours ago, HMC said:

Guys I’m really trying here. I’m doing by usual of browsing for cheap stuff you all love that I’ll own for 10 minutes that’s got a certain something and there’s fuck all. So disappointed by economic forces and scrap values. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/873070710480300/ Audi A8 in PLymouth? image.png.c12084c67194af667bd53367b7963c98.png 

51 minutes ago, New POD said:

Says the retired man in his 90s.

You are not wrong, but when you are 56, and your retirement hopes are at best, a set of carefully assembled assumptions, or when you are 30 and have 3 people depending on you, and your income barely covers the basics, sometimes it's hard not to be prudent. 

I'm 42 with very little pension. Tomorows not here yet, so I'll worry about today.

There’s a similar discussion over on a Facebook Group called “Copart victims”, it’s quite entertaining. Apparently the whole salvage industry is fecked because Copart have bought up most of the competition and now manage to charge close to book value for what’s basically scrap. Nobody can understand why people are buying badly damaged 53 reg Golfs or similar for £2000 odd. The days of buying a lightly damaged newish car for not much £££, repairing it and flipping it for a profit are long gone it seems. 

There’s also the ongoing problem that cars are often delivered with more damage than was advertised and have had items like the parcel shelf, tyre inflator, cat etc stolen by Copart staff.  Naturally cars showing a full tank of fuel on the website images are totally drained too. 

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

21st century that I’d really want to buy

Yeah, I wouldn't kick a Sandero BASE out of bed, and would like an Alpine A110 just for the bloody minded Frenchness 'don't buy a Cayman' of it, but pretty much everything else is dead to me 😄. Obviously all quadricycles are exempt from this.

Theres effectively been a bit of compression in the market, for £2.5k can still get you an okish say, morris minor, but the difference now is that a 00s Peugeot of some sort that used to be £6-700 is now not that far off some bargain bucket classic cars prices, or ahem, a cheap Porsche Boxster/ rover p6 etc.

A lot of the fun factor for me was the cheapness, not that I had a particular love for a particular model. May as well just spend a little more and get something proper, as @barrett was basically saying.

7 minutes ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

That's a 10 grand car nowadays...

..but most people probably know that. I'm more surprised that a 10 year old sports* car was low value tat back then.

Actually now I read it back it seems a bit of a steal, maybe I did pay more for it but he and I had a history of tat being bought and sold between us.

It wasn't the greatest spec and was a pre-facelift so boring headlights instead of angry headlights.

Also it had some sticky residue in the headrests which neither of us could remove.

Otherwise totally reliable and fun car, at least until the rear dampers stopped damping.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, gadgetgricey said:

Just to prove they are still out there.
Free Saab 9-3 Diesel (MOT'd till August) - Guildford area if anyone is interested

https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=211221

Battery drain and awesome lacquer peel included.

1.thumb.jpg.47ce5f6756ac430fbbfb219819ecaf4e.jpg

MOT until August too! Pull fuse for radio and use the car while you sort the problem. Excellent