High owner heaps

Rusty Pelican

My Volvo listed 10 previous owners but I know at least 3 of those is the same guy moving registration to various businesses. Still it's pretty high number of keepers.

My latest acquisition (which I haven't reveal to anyone yet) about also listed 10 previous owners although this time it's actual 10 different guys. It's still a decent car though.

I also have had cars with lower amount. I had a late W124 with 2 previous keepers, one being the original owner and the other's his next of kin.  4-5 seems to be about the average for 20+ year old motor.

I find it makes absolutely no difference to how good a car is or isn't.

I should also note that in my location, not many would buy and sell cars within a year or less of ownership. If the guy's planning to do so they would not change the registration. So it is much more unusual for any car to have high number of keepers.

My old talbot is now on 15 owners. It makes sense really, it's the kind of van you have for a couple of years and then either upgrade from if you use it, or sell on if you don't use it. Giles (spartacus) off here who I bought it from said he had a couple come out to look at it, they were pleased as punch after a test drive and he showed them around it etc. They agreed a price and then when they saw the V5 they shit a brick and backed out of the deal. Takes all sorts.

Think the highest I've seen on any car I've owned was my Cappuccino which I think showed 18 former keepers when I got it.

Think the Jag was on 10, though for that sort of car that didn't really surprise me.  Not everyone is going to feel a 9mpg V12 bankruptcy device is a long term fleet member...

Been waiting for a topic like this.

Many moons ago, me and my dad owned this lovely* 1983 Porsche 944.

1D82AC4A-A5E0-40CC-A709-8BFBD43E501D.thumb.jpeg.97ff9fc4274507e05bc99ad74187765a.jpeg

Nice and tidy, low owner car you say? RONG.

5F5DDA77-2558-4653-9DEE-4D263C4B48A2.thumb.jpeg.1d6e9b3db0edb7ba5c294cdc883a9f8f.jpeg

Yes, 23 other people owned it before us. It had been up and down the UK. Started off in London, then moved north for a few years before coming back to Cambridgeshire and then Norfolk in 1992. It was also featured on the front cover of Porsche Post magazine when nearly new in 1984 with its original registration.

AB5C7237-5EFE-4550-A037-1C2F034DA241.thumb.jpeg.96017dc4a1641e8153af4603a847b696.jpeg

It had been subject to a rolling restoration. It looked passable on the surface but the underneath was coated in 10 layers of underseal ‘to stop it rotting m8’. The interior looked like a pitbull had been let loose inside it. I sold it on to a guy who drove it all the way back to Staffordshire 😳 never heard of it again.

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

Depends on the car, something like a sports car sometimes gets bought as a bit of a toy so might only be kept six months or so. 

This. One of the early owners of that Porsche lived in Headingley just outside Leeds and had it for six months. Definitely a ‘try it and then sell’ car.