High owner heaps

Rusty Pelican

After owning numerous cars it seems to me that a high number of owners usually signals its a rather shite unloved motor . Poked from pillar to post with no love in between .

So do we have any high owner heaps on there .
For example This is on 7 separate owners in 8 locations 

IMG_2361.JPG

It's not necessarily indicative of a hot potato.

Some cars, like the Boxter are bought for fun and once the novelty wears off they get moved on. Same for hot hatches and other fun cars.

My red 93 has had about 9 owners (at least 4 on here though!) but its a really tidy old thing.

I do agree though, all my best cars have had low owners. Usually non car people who spend whatever is required to keep the car in top condition. My Cav was one family owned from new until 2022 and it certainly shows.

My new bike seems a little high with 8 former keepers considering it was registered in 2015.  It's not the highest on my fleet though.

IMG-20221227-WA0000.thumb.jpg.842fccb1a2ed3de4b4bb607f720ccfa9.jpg

Officially I'm the 17th registered keeper of a certain M361DHP and I'd love someone else to take it off my hands.  It's not the highest though!

IMG_20220430_135737068.thumb.jpg.2aa9bb88d4a8c0c2cdac8c477cb0254f.jpg

My Freight Rover Sherpa has 18 former keepers making me the 19th!  It is 35 years old though and has 950k on the clock although I'm assured this is probably a fault with the clocks.

IMG_20210407_193205562_HDR.thumb.jpg.cac1d0032db4d53e8de795c5de457a92.jpg

This W Reg 2.8i was owned by my friend Al and I at different stages of its life, when I bought it at 14 years old  the V5 stated 11 previous owners making me number 12 however we reckoned with our combined knowledge of the car that I was nearer being its 20th owner. It had at least three owners after me I think and was then scrapped in 2000/2001. 

1BAE3AB8-A85E-4AE7-A3C5-0DA40AE6959A.jpeg

This might not look a heap, but (IIRC) it had had something like 18 or 21 owners when we scrounged it from a mate to make a film with it. It had a weird fueling issue which no-one could fix and so it got passed around mates for some time. Eventually my mate Ben had it and we took it to the 'ring. Merc 190 Cossy. Story here - https://www.motorpunk.co.uk/features/roadtripping/ayrton-senna-and-the-race-of-champions-mercedes-cosworth/

IMG_3825.jpg

We were not allowed to drive at more than c.130kph on track and had a safety car (Jag XF, as I recall, on German plates) driven by some safety bloke who kept bollocking us for going too fast. It was a fantastic car, but I see there's been no MOT since 2018, so maybe this many-ownered-wannabe-classic has finally bit the dust?

We nicknamed it the Merscabies. 

Mondeo has 4 previous RKs, one from here, I *think* it was a company car to begin with.

Bluebird has 2, first owner from 1990 to 2008, then someone I know 2008 to 2019.

Capri has 7, although interestingly many were short periods of ownership. Original owner 1980-1999 (19yrs) there was another guy who had it 2008-2014 (6yrs) and I've had it 2016-present so 7yrs and counting.

Yeah, as mentioned, 'fun' cars like convertibles or 2 seaters often seem to have high number of owners.

I've  never particularly paid attention to number of keepers. Some of the lowest mileage/owner cars I've had were terrible. 

Ps. Is it bad that I kinda want to rescue that Rover @catsinthewelder? 🤔😬

Had a G reg dtr 125 yam in the late 90s that had a previous 16 on the log book. I think high owners on a learner legal bike is fairly common and it was one of the better ones I’d had. That said in three years it had two top ends and a bottom end rebuild though I raced it in enduros often and raced it everywhere in between. 

Back in the mists of time I bought a 1978 Granada 2.8 Ghia.I was the 17th owner.It was 15 years old.The saggy back seat indicated it had served time as a minicab plus it had a towbar and wierd camber on the back end so had been well used.Prob on it's 3rd time round the clock at least.It was a brilliant old bus,never let me down.Sold to my then housemate who kept it for a couple of years before selling it on,still running sweet.

High number of owners can go either way.

Yes some may say this is cheap car for transport I will drive it until it breaks and throw it away.

While others think I love my new banger and start throwing money at it and fix a few things. When the owner is weary of spending money the next person picks up the challenge of keeping it running and because some things have been fixed are happy to spend out on a few things and so on that keeps the car alive because the cost is spread among several owners.

That's my theory anyway.

It doesn’t bother me personally but it bothers the inner me that knows it will likely bother the person I inevitably sell it to in 6 months.

As part of my job I deal with weird and wonderful vehicles all day and I’ve seen some mad numbers, I think one of the highest was an old series 2a which has 41 previous owners but it was what a ~1960s vehicle.

My wife has had two ageing E46 convertibles both of which averaged about one owner per year.  

The first one had no service history but displaying a lowish mileage and behaved itself reasonably well (immediate previous owner was a Polish mechanic and there were plenty of new bits on it).

The second was newer, higher mileage, and a stack of receipts showing that the last but one owner had sunk several times the car's value into repairing/replacing all sorts and presumably threw in the towel when the EML came on YET A FUCKING GAIN.  Couple of sensors and it was faultless with us, proving that occasionally you can benefit from somebody else's restless expenditure. 

As its usually me who keeps chucking good money after bad on a car, then sells it as soon as I've resolved all of its issues.

from what I have seen from endless DVLA "reverse engineering" the keeper counter, is only a 3 digit integer 

gotta wonder what happens when you hit 1000 former keepers...

and of course as I have mentioned elsewhere a few times, for vehicles registered before the 1st of October 1974, they could have any number of previous keepers, since the keeper count was not transferred from the buff logbook to the V5 system! always tickles me when I see someone sell an Austin 7 or such with "only 1 previous keeper!" and they show a picture of the V5, rather than any sort of buff logbook