Citreon c1.

Bradders59

8 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Any recommendations on  oil for the little 1 litre engine please ?

Eurocarparts 10/40 semi skimmed, or something a bit more exotic required ?

The one I've just done has happily lapped up 3.1 litres of Semi-synthetic 10w-40

It's supposed to take 5w-30. But a thicker oil doesn't hurt them

According to the service book, the last one it had was 4 years ago. So should be better than what was in there!

2 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Any recommendations on  oil for the little 1 litre engine please ?

Eurocarparts 10/40 semi skimmed, or something a bit more exotic required ?

I’ve put Millners 5w30 (I think) and I don’t like it. Engine is quite clattery with that.

Ive always gone for the Petronas Syntium though, out of cost to begin with but I think the oil suits the engine. And it’s always come out fairly clean when it was changed. So I’d always go for it.

You can get a service pack for the Aygo from Toyota with OEM oil. Just find the reg of an Aygo and away you go. However the oil spec for Toyota changed and they recommend 0w20 for it. It’s the same engine, so no idea why the oil type was changed.

1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

I’ve put Millners 5w30 (I think) and I don’t like it. Engine is quite clattery with that.

Ive always gone for the Petronas Syntium though, out of cost to begin with but I think the oil suits the engine. And it’s always come out fairly clean when it was changed. So I’d always go for it.

You can get a service pack for the Aygo from Toyota with OEM oil. Just find the reg of an Aygo and away you go. However the oil spec for Toyota changed and they recommend 0w20 for it. It’s the same engine, so no idea why the oil type was changed.

I'd have said 0W-20 is way too thin for an engine like that. The thicker the better otherwise they'll just burn it

But, not saying I know better than Toyota themselves!

Thanks for the info.

Well, the fun & games have started already. PAS has apparently packed up on a short drive about 10 minutes ago.

A quick google search tells me its electronic and not a job for the home mechanic. Just my bloody luck !

Ah, the one flaw I forgot about. 

It's often the PAS ECU that fails, though you'd need to check the fault codes stored. 

ECU testing will repair it for about £200-250  

Thanks for the info.

Well, the fun & games have started already. PAS has apparently packed up on a short drive about 10 minutes ago.

A quick google search tells me its electronic and not a job for the home mechanic. Just my bloody luck !

A weak battery will also cause issues with the power steering motor.

22 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'd have said 0W-20 is way too thin for an engine like that. The thicker the better otherwise they'll just burn it

But, not saying I know better than Toyota themselves!

Well I’ve never been near Peugeot to get anything other than bumper brackets for it to ask and see what they suggest!

That’s another thing @Bradders59 - these break front bumper brackets for fun. If you need to take the bumper off, budget for at least one replacement bracket for each side.

No matter how careful you think you are, it’ll snap in some spot and does need replacing.

2 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Well I’ve never been near Peugeot to get anything other than bumper brackets for it to ask and see what they suggest!

That’s another thing @Bradders59 - these break front bumper brackets for fun. If you need to take the bumper off, budget for at least one replacement bracket for each side.

No matter how careful you think you are, it’ll snap in some spot and does need replacing.

I did notice the front bumper was sitting a bit weird on the Aygo today 😅 so that must be why

7 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Surely the battery is just for starting?. If the alternator is ok there will be sufficient power for the steering.

A lot of modern cars will show up some truly bizarre gremlins if the system voltage starts to sag even a bit.  So it wouldn't surprise me if it could cause issues with the EPAS on these, the motor will pull a fair old whack of current.