Punto power it’s too late now as I’ve bought it.

Vince70

I didn’t need it as I’ve lots of old chod knocking about, but I saw this low mileage beauty on Facebook as I was looking for a cheap car for someone as their first car. 

I couldn’t remember the last time I saw a Mk1 Punto and it’s only done 49000.

It’s clean as a whistle and apart from the short MOT and flat paint plus an oil leak from the camcover gasket it looks spot on.

I picked it up for £450 which in this day and age seems good due to high scrap prices and just wondered if there’s anything to look for on an early Punto.

I wouldn’t mind but I’ve since found out that my other half’s son found a car the other night and doesn’t need a motor now lol.

I guess it will do as my station car now and I think 6 cars is enough lol.

It drives well though and even came with a nice Bluetooth pioneer head unit that’s been professionally plumbed in.

F30FDF73-0A9C-42C1-A63A-24A655332CB2.jpeg

14C7E659-16AE-45FF-B125-7AF62CB99364.jpeg

29E156CC-FB2F-4256-A7A8-92FBA378534B.jpeg

Find some proper wheel trims, give it a good service, get some period looking plates on and give it a polish then enjoy.  As with pretty much all Fiats from this era they are really nice driving little cars and are far more cheerful a way to get around than the specs make them look on paper.

Can't remember if this is late enough to have the red master key needed to program other replacements - if so for goodness sake do not lose it.

Another car you just don't see any more.

I'm assuming it's probably got the SPI engine rather than MPI which makes it even more special* 

I can't recall if they're actually non-interference engines but I do remember getting away with a new belt only when they snap on those on more than one occasion. 

Having said that, a belt change is about a half hour job on those things anyway 😅

Ooh, I love it ! Perfect spec too. 😍

I don't think I've ever had a Fiat that hasn't seeped oil from somewhere. 🤣

I'm sure I've heard on these it is a common issue from that gasket and when changing it you have to put some sort of sealant on the end. 

My Seicento always smells a bit oily, but never see any on the floor, so I just ignore it and keep an eye on the levels 🤷

Well bought! The best looking small hatch of its generation (or possibly any generation), I had a boggo 60S 3 door for a few years and apart from an occasional random clutch judder it was faultless. There's a red one that turns up every few days in our work's car park but I've yet to get a snap of it or speak to the owner.

img010.jpg

18 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

We had a 55SX, picked up from Perth auctions for £200.. Had it 3 years and it never put a foot wrong. Much better car than a Mk2.

driveway.thumb.jpg.daa44bad69d08038122971fda7e7a4b1.jpg

The Mk2's are good looking, but agree, they are garbage. Riddled with electrical issues. rot floorpans for fun and the low spec models dash is a piece is shit, like the entire centre console was an afterthought and the design inspiration for it was an egg carton.

10 hours ago, Fennec said:

I'm sure I've heard on these it is a common issue from that gasket and when changing it you have to put some sort of sealant on the end.

A little spot on the corners where it goes over the cam. Trick is also to not overtorque the bolts so the gasket doesn't crush.

Done well over 20 of them and never had a rocker cover leak afterwards.

Nice find.

I used to service these when they were new. They had a recall for the rear subframe bushes (on that mileage, they may not have been done) which is a simple job, as they fit over the top rather than being pressed in.

If it clonks from the back end they need doing. 

Noisy gearboxes were their downfall, with them failing at a remarkably young age.  But other than that they were pretty trouble free.

My only gripe was the steering on non PAS ones, they feel as if they have a 27 turns lock to lock. 

It’s the first time I’ve had a quick look around of the old girl since getting her and if it wasn’t  so cold today,  I would of given the pink paintwork a compound.

I quickly had a nose under the rear seat and boot floor  and it’s as good as new there, also I spent two minutes rubbing a little compound onto the rear wing and it’s going to come up amazing and found the original dealer plates in the boot with lots of bits and bobs including a nice umbrella just in case it leaks lol.

The interior is like new without any wear but I’m looking for the top vents for mine as these are  snapped plus some original hubcaps.

Also has anyone got any idea what this symbol is, as it looks like it’s been stuck on for years.

At least I don’t have to worry about airbag or abs lights come mot time and it also has no central locking or electric windows to worry about either.

Also the heater is like a furnace and so easy to use and I’m glad the owner who bought it new was tight as it’s pure poverty spec apart from the fancy radio.

94C21480-7C23-46B8-B1CF-EDB217CC34C4.jpeg

E04FFDE0-58E2-4375-948D-D9CB3E04107B.jpeg

9833D43F-6254-464F-85C6-AC01F2B5B084.jpeg

E30232A2-7515-4B9D-A541-F095E64C0D6D.jpeg

82569D2C-1024-4E88-BFB8-235A90330008.jpeg

785D0DE9-8B01-4742-BF8F-7B0610CEAC35.jpeg

837CAA1B-CD20-4AF5-AF08-01696A594243.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Vince70 said:

It’s the first time I’ve had a quick look around of the old girl since getting her and if it wasn’t  so cold today,  I would of given the pink paintwork a compound.

I quickly had a nose under the rear seat and boot floor  and it’s as good as new there, also I spent two minutes rubbing a little compound onto the rear wing and it’s going to come up amazing and found the original dealer plates in the boot with lots of bits and bobs including a nice umbrella just in case it leaks lol.

The interior is like new without any wear but I’m looking for the top vents for mine as these are  snapped plus some original hubcaps.

Also has anyone got any idea what this symbol is, as it looks like it’s been stuck on for years.

At least I don’t have to worry about airbag or abs lights come mot time and it also has no central locking or electric windows to worry about either.

94C21480-7C23-46B8-B1CF-EDB217CC34C4.jpeg

E04FFDE0-58E2-4375-948D-D9CB3E04107B.jpeg

9833D43F-6254-464F-85C6-AC01F2B5B084.jpeg

E30232A2-7515-4B9D-A541-F095E64C0D6D.jpeg

82569D2C-1024-4E88-BFB8-235A90330008.jpeg

785D0DE9-8B01-4742-BF8F-7B0610CEAC35.jpeg

837CAA1B-CD20-4AF5-AF08-01696A594243.jpeg

The symbol looks like a candle holder.