'Back in the Day' VW/Audi Dealership footage

dan95x

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, coachie said:

I knew who was going to be appearing on this before even clicking the link!  Nice to finally meet you, Dan.

Ha ha - thanks.  I can confirm that the camera does add 10lbs, several chins, and that I would like to think I am more suave and less of a scruffy twat in real life though 😂

3 hours ago, dan95x said:

Ha ha - thanks.  I can confirm that the camera does add 10lbs, several chins, and that I would like to think I am more suave and less of a scruffy twat in real life though 😂

Fantastic video - some wonderful photos in there, and you did absolutely great; I go to pieces as soon as someone points a camera at me, and can't work out how to walk or where to put my hands 🙂

Watched this on YouTube today lots of memories my late grandad was in the REME his  part of the regiment re started  production of the Beetle  he had a couple of second hand Volkswagens one of them from your garage as he lived on Alumwell , I remember your garage well it became a lancia  dealer after VAG about 87?  All the Walsall area dealers are gone  no more Willenhall coachcraft, Brincars etc as for VW in my family I’m afraid we are all water cooled now (I have 3 golfs) and no longer in the Walsall area but now live in Marsden West Yorkshire the village where Ivan Hirst  lived after he retired, thanks for some great Walsall memories , 

2 hours ago, 4and7 said:

Watched this on YouTube today lots of memories my late grandad was in the REME his  part of the regiment re started  production of the Beetle  he had a couple of second hand Volkswagens one of them from your garage as he lived on Alumwell , I remember your garage well it became a lancia  dealer after VAG about 87?  All the Walsall area dealers are gone  no more Willenhall coachcraft, Brincars etc as for VW in my family I’m afraid we are all water cooled now (I have 3 golfs) and no longer in the Walsall area but now live in Marsden West Yorkshire the village where Ivan Hirst  lived after he retired, thanks for some great Walsall memories , 

My Mrs comes from Willenhall, so many engineering co's round the area

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2024 at 10:28, Matts_Rusty_Bus said:

A great watch, as a definite VW licker I'd love a rummage around the nos bits and literature. There's some fantastic history in there

There is a LOT of stuff there!  As I said, I have been sorting for 2 years, and there is still a fair bit.  I have done 36 tip runs in a fully loaded Audi A6 estate, another 11 in a Transit, plus 10 dedicated metal yard runs in said transit.  The old bugger never threw anything away 😂  Luckily me and Rich are interested in the car and garage stuff and so it hasnt been junked as I guess loads would have been if it had been a house clearance job

On 18/03/2024 at 12:35, Dan29 said:

Fantastic video - some wonderful photos in there, and you did absolutely great; I go to pieces as soon as someone points a camera at me, and can't work out how to walk or where to put my hands 🙂

I dont know about that - Even for a twat who likes to talk a lot, I dont actually like the sound of my own voice 😂  They were there for a really long time to fair, and you fairly quickly forgot they were filming - All 3 of them (as in videographer too) were really decent blokes and a good laugh - Was a fun day and nice to natter about Granddad being a nutter all day as well :D

On 18/03/2024 at 21:15, 4and7 said:

Granddad was REME, but for his national service a touch later than that - Early 50s he went in I think, and he didnt stay in as my Mum 'appeared' as a result of weekend leave I guess 😂  Thats when he came out after doing his 'time' and started the garage as a general service station on his Dads builders yard before it eventually became the VW agent and dealer .  Its quite nice, loads of people seem to remember the garage and have relatives, or themselves have bought cars from there, even with it being shut such a long time.

Yeah, it was lancia for a while, was closed for various periods, was isuzu and Subaru a fair bit later on - I would know more, but actually in the first 10/15 years after it shut, Nan and Granddad didnt talk about it that much - They hadnt wanted to shut, and it was all still a bit painful for them.  As you say, none of them like Brincars or Coachcraft (Willenhall Coachcraft were his nemesis 😂) there was another one at Wednesbury whose name is escaping me right now too, are around any more anyway, and even if they had carried on, I assume they would have been forced into selling to a bigger group by now - Other than in a few more rural type places, I cant think of any of the family owned main dealers that still exist - Its a shame

On 18/03/2024 at 23:55, High Jetter said:

My Mrs comes from Willenhall, so many engineering co's round the area

Locks is the big Willenhall thing, Saddles and Leather in Walsall.  Or rather were - not huge amounts of either still left, but bits and pieces.  Same with most of the little engineering shops - theres a few still around but not many.  I went the opposite side of Walsall to where I live the other day and noticed that what was a reasonable size powder coaters is all shut, demolished and is now houses - I am not sure i would fancy eating any veg grown in their gardens, it was a filthy place back in the day 😂

Its funny clearing Granddads place - All his suppliers to the garage were all really local (other than VW itself obviously) - Paint was from a local place, general parts, oils etc were all from local places - As you say, any engineering stuff, machines etc, tools (when not VWs own) were local - All the boxes are suppliers in the Black Country or Birmingham, very very few things appear to be mail-ordered in from further away.

I buy virtually nothing locally for my own business nowadays (I try, but its just not possible for a lot of stuff) its not that long ago, but its a totally different world.