Alternatives to the obvious.

Amelia

Wow, thank you for all the replies x

There are some amazing suggestions. The 106 and AX will definitely go on the list. As will the 205 is probably a bit big. I have driven one before and agree they are a good car. Perodua Kelisa is an excellent idea too, although probably too similar to the Fiat Seicento.

Seems as though small and french may be the way to go, although the Yugo suggestion is definitely interesting, if I could find one. 

Reliant Rialto/Robin would be cool too, I never even thought of those. (And yes, I'm over 21 - try double that!) Although my habit of going round roundabouts at the highest speed possible might rule those out 🤣

Thank you again everyone ☺️

So, to carry on the conversation, how about alternatives to these 'obvious' classics?

VW Beetle?

VW Golf Gti?

Ford Capri?

Rover SD1?

14 hours ago, garethj said:

https://not2grand.co.uk/not-2-grand-cars/perodua-kelisa/

The 2 door looks a lot like a Mini too

You can also get a 'Gino' kit to modify the front end and make it look like a Japanese take on a 60s car - I'm biased but I think they looks pretty cool actually. Think 'Toyota/Daihatsu/Perodua's answer to the Nissan Figaro' and you're not miles off.

gallery_used-car-carlist-perodua-kelisa-ezl-hatchback-malaysia_7518904_jioM53AKrKx48kZlJih726.thumb.png.308921d0037b5a2aa597ea711ae4d1dc.png

We somehow came to run a '94 L Rover Metro for a while in the late noughties, eventually replacing it with a Panda diesel. Wasn't that bad a thing really.A very basic  1.1,8v Nightfire. Did a bit of welding on the front floorpans and a rear wheelarch. They got panned for the crash tests, but probably best to avoid an accident in any small car of the era then, and especially now. The Hydra gas suspension would put me off, along with the lack of PAS, but if the values follow those of the original Metros, "buy now, while they're still this cheap", as the classic car mags might say. 

Another vote for Pug 205/106. From experience a Mk 3 Polo also a sound choice for solid motoring but a bit plain Jane. One of the last of the properly built VW's though and rare enough now to have some curiosity interest . I went from a Phase 1 106 to a Mk3 polo in the late 90s and the difference in sound when shutting the door was quite startling. Tinny French clang to reassuringly Germanic clunk. The same with the seats; soft comfy French to unyielding German plank. 

The 106 was much more fun and full of character but wouldn't have wanted a smash in it. 

7 minutes ago, warch said:

Citroen Saxo VTR or VTS is a cheap(er) alternative to a 106 XSI or GTi. You will look like that bloke off Gavin and Stacey though.

Not sure that's the case anymore, the 45 year olds with money reminisce of their saxos and couldn't afford 106s, so they're not in as much demand 

I noticed you said 90’s or earlier but discounted the Seicento , I think they are a great modern small car but the seating position is a bit high, I always feel I am sat on it rather than in it . The Cinquicento is a bit nicer but similar seating position. A proper 500 is a good alternative to a Mini but no cheaper. For a sensibly priced small car which is fun I would look at a Fiat 850 or Austin A30/A35, or even an A40. I also like early mk1 Fiesta’s now but they seem to have got expensive. Peugeot 104 could be worth a look also.

Fiat  850 just listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394418718143?hash=item5bd53005bf:g:~V4AAOSw3bNjwQ~V&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoCMAEb%2FpDbnhqL8HGCVauUI8Vmv%2FBFS2B9oUqUyD3mCInHvl%2FXj9LWuY8a8ikztQf%2FgGa5SL4fDvhc3aKoEsZuTzrGaXkG6GrshOBh5sSQSQOIVSSlmQqYM65tRdTL51QIxriQGynlMx178uIrMSkLjb4PL7o5Yiy5r800RvL8dSvu7x1xNTo%2Fjpq6kPSDhhCEScwWHqpxw1S24O8n7vOYE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9Dyob-1YQ

21 hours ago, loserone said:

Not sure that's the case anymore, the 45 year olds with money reminisce of their saxos and couldn't afford 106s, so they're not in as much demand 

A decent Saxo VTS is usually about half or third of the price of a 106 GTI, a VTR is often still sub 2k which, allowing for the price of scrap is bargain basement these days. I think scene tax has really pushed up values of 106s, especially the Rallye.

21 hours ago, loserone said:

Weren’t Citroen the kings of 0% finance and free years insurance back in the day? I remember loads of people getting the default metallic blue 3 door Saxo. 

I could never get on with them, the pedals were made to be operated by children. You don’t see any about any more, I suspect most had brief but hard lives.