Would you describe yourself as a Motoring Enthusiast?

sierraman

30 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Nina Simone. I love the breadth of topic matter from the slow, wretchedness of Strange Fruit, to the boundless joy of My baby just cares for me, and the peculiar tracks like I put a spell on you which barely hide the classic pianist training of Simone behind lyrics which...  hello? Hello? Oh. He's gone again. 

Oh, girl's jazz. You'd get on with my mum. 

15 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Terminal cases speak in chassis numbers, model years and have an intimate knowledge of 1970s BL paint codes.

I usually go along to the ACA classic auctions at Kings Lynn with a mate, and one of the fun* games* we play as we wander around is "Name the BL paint colour".  

I'm not sure what that says about me.  Nor do I particularly care.

13 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

Do you have this one?

DSCN4086.JPG

DSCN4088.JPG

DSCN4087.JPG

Yes I have that, also the last of the BL ones and a Seneffe, Belgium issue.

DSCF3482.thumb.JPG.a9b7c3bbe41e383d77b3d3cf6b8754ad.JPG

DSCF3483.thumb.JPG.221cb36bca51e726d53f246a5079d39a.JPG

I also have a large selection of teh companion leaflets so I can bore people with what trim was available with what colour with all the different models.

DSCF3484.thumb.JPG.535d507e6d1607576948b31fb3cdb072.JPG

4 minutes ago, martc said:

You want to attract self-opinionated, ill-informed crashing bores?

Tell them you drive an electric car.

Am I right? Or am I right?

Oh yes, the type that wear Tesla owners club polo shirts, Tesla branded baseball cap, bootcut jeans and smart shoes. 

They will ask what car you’ve got any if it’s anything bar electric then you get a sarcastic laugh, sucking in through teeth followed by an unwanted load of bullshit about how their Tesla is the best thing in the world and anything else is inferior. 

When I had my old heavily modified Discovery, I went out for a day green laning and we ended up at a pub near Elvedon Centre Parcs, they had a Tesla branded charging car park in the corner so we parked up in them for a photo opportunity. As we were taking pictures, a type I mentioned above rolled up and plugged in. Came over and hurled abuse for us parking in “his” car park then spouted a load about how 4x4s should be banned and that his car is so much better.

FFS

In answer to the OP, I would say I am massively enthusiastic about cars however I wouldn’t brand myself as a car enthusiast because of the same reasons as a load of these replies. Many times over the years I’ve been introduced as “Oh Jordan will take a look, he’s into cars” followed by half an hour rolling round wet tarmac trying to fix a car whilst wearing my Sunday bests…

22 hours ago, De Selby said:

I do like finding A-road alternatives to motorway journeys so I guess that makes me a closet route bore. You can usually spot one as their eyes light up if you mention the A303

And years ago one of my cousins visited for a couple of days on their way to a new life in Scotland where they planned to live in a Yurt for 12 months.

They had 2 map books. 

1965 And 2001. (That being the year) 

They had travelled a distance that by motorway would be 160miles.

It had taken 3 days, and it involved not using any road that was built after 1965.  It took them 10 more days to reach Aviemore.  I suspect that road straightening and widening added to the "Fun" 

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Oh yes, the type that wear Tesla owners club polo shirts, Tesla branded baseball cap, bootcut jeans and smart shoes. 

They will ask what car you’ve got any if it’s anything bar electric then you get a sarcastic laugh, sucking in through teeth followed by an unwanted load of bullshit about how their Tesla is the best thing in the world and anything else is inferior. 

Mines an e208. But Tesla owners don't do much to help the cause...

19 hours ago, fatharris said:

I'm introduced as 'He likes shit Cars' which generally separates the wheat from the chaff.

Luckily my social circle is very small and I'm not taking applications to expand it any time soon.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

So always in the kitchen at parties, eh? 

Yes and no to the original question.

I do like older cars and for the most part enjoy working on them. The simpler the better. I get a bit nerdy when it comes to -04, -05 and -06 series Peugeots (and a lot of that era PSA stuff). Most cars from the 50s to the late 1990s interest me 

However people do make sweeping generalisations that because I work on my cars, I can fix their 3 year old PCP financed 1-series beemer; I’m a prat with a socket set not Edd sodding China*. Certain aspects of motoring don’t interest me - caravans, SceneYO!, DriftYO! And MaxPowerYO! Certainly don’t.

*other famous mechanics are available.

On 1/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, New POD said:

And years ago one of my cousins visited for a couple of days on their way to a new life in Scotland where they planned to live in a Yurt for 12 months.

They had 2 map books. 

1965 And 2001. (That being the year) 

They had travelled a distance that by motorway would be 160miles.

It had taken 3 days, and it involved not using any road that was built after 1965.  It took them 10 more days to reach Aviemore.  I suspect that road straightening and widening added to the "Fun" 

God, they sound like fun, bet you can't wait to see them at family weddings!🙄

There is a lot to be said for being an anti social, standoffish bastard when in certain company or placed in certain situations that are uncomfortable through no fault of your own.  Then there are other occasions when being a complete and utter bastard is the only way forward, it's good for the soul.

4 hours ago, tul66 said:

God, they sound like fun, bet you can't wait to see them at family weddings!🙄

To be fair in the intervening years, she's had a child with a different more normal bloke, and has done 37 different jobs, including tour bus driver and ambulance driver.  And is hilarious....

No, I'm not a motoring enthusiast really (any more). I'm not even that bothered about driving (any more).

Boil it right down, I just like seeing old cars in use that have outlived their natural life.

And Mrs Egg has known me long enough not to introduce me to new people 😆