Bargain or wot?

wuvvum

I've suddenly found myself in the embarrassing (for someone with a fleet the size of mine) position of running out of road legal cars. The Mazda and the Alfa both run out of T&T at the end of the month (I'll be putting the Alfa through but if it needs work it might have to wait until the weather warms up before it gets done), and the Saab and Volvo 460 have both just run out of tax. The 304's taxed till the end of May but the starter motor's just packed up so the old gal's going to be stood up for a while. So I went on the Bay last night to try and find something dirt cheap and reliable to run about in for the remainder of the winter - ideally something scruffy so it doesn't matter if I have a repeat of last weekend's incident. I was beginning to give up hope when I spotted this.

Posted Image

Yes it has a chuffing great dent in the offside rear quarter, but it's got T&T till April, a towbar, only 125K on the clock, and all for £75. So I can run around in it for three months and then weigh it in for a profit. Result!

Agreed, an excellent buy at scrap value. The dent reminds me of that inflicted upon my wifes £90 Golf some 21 years ago, we never tried to open the door after the impact for fear it would not close, we tried it just before selling it after several more months use ........it closed perfectly, fortunately the car was LHD. The photo shows the "good" rear corner, the same accident made the other corner rather messy after a Capri Ghia (written off) hit it pushing this side into my parked car. Lovely!

Posted Image

These dustbin lid wheel trims are something like £50 each from a stealer, you could easily recoup a large chunk of the purchase price selling them to an enthusiast. It's a very good sign that at least two of them are still present.The first (up to '92 maybe) facelift 900s rusted very badly, although most of the rust is visible. Your one looks OK.Most of the facelift models had a rear handbrake, which seems to be much less troublesome than the front ones. The rear handbrake models have a different stud pattern from the front handbrake ones. Earlier 900 wheels won't fit but 9000 ones will.The main weak points are head gaskets (16V engines) and gearboxes, although both have an easier time in non-turbos. A lesser weak point is the earth strap on the rubber-mounted alternator. If it doesn't charge this is the first place to look.None of the above is really any reason to reject a £75 runner though.

Excellent car, congratulations. I didn't think they had much of a problem with rust, my mum's '90 900 is still absolutely mint despite lots of abuse... It won't let you down, you could make a pretty good profit on it as well. £75 is a very silly price!

some look great but have tons of rot round the front suspension mounts, usually only turbo side (heat), a non turbo version will usually be fine...other that + rusty door bottoms it's generally not an issue...16v is generally better all round - 8 valve heads sometimes crack between the valves...handbrakes can stick on the front calipers.i've had a few (ok loads) of these, been there done that. too old for me now....

Well it's a non turbo so the front suspension rust shouldn't be an issue, and it's an H plater so the handbrake will be on the back. I'm not too worried about door bottom rust as it's largely cosmetic - it's structural rust that scares me. It does have a saggy headlining, but half a dozen pins will fix that. I'm assuming it's an 8 valve rather than a 16 (the ad didn't specify one way or t'other), but to be honest I've never had any Saab engine go wrong on me - not even the 9-5, which are notorious for blowing up at a moment's notice.

The 8 valve head cracking problem was fixed in 1984 so you should be OK there. I think the last of the 8V models were H plate but I'm not sure when they started phasing in the 16V non-turbo engines.I think the rusty period affected D, E and F plate 900s. We had an F plater which was looking very shabby by 1999.

• 1 month later...

They're chuffing brilliant. Ultra-reliable, built like tanks and really nice to drive. Usually fairly solid too, apart from the door bottoms and the bonnet lip, and front arches on earlier cars. That one on the Bay looks pretty tidy - I'd say it's worth a punt at that money. This one looks nice too.