1983 Beige Austin Ambassador

Motown

Ive been to see this today as its literally a stones throw away from my house so close i could probably push it home if it wasnt at the bottom of a hill

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583799510251469/

It started on the first turn of the key when ran on an external tank the engine and box seemed good. Its got a Spanish transmission so that kinda rules me out as i can only drive Automatico but id really like to save/restore it. Unfortunately the rear arches are rather crispy and theirs a hole in the front passenger footwell/floor plan where it looks like a jack has gone through. The interior is very good though not even the headliner is sagging and its looks to be complete i would probably give it a shot if i could weld but i cant.

Tax disc said 1995 so i assume thats when it was last on the road am going back tomorrow with the Mrs to have another look so il take some photos and post them here somebody really should rescue it.  

• Motown changed the title to 1983 Beige Austin Ambassador
2 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Oh wow - now that's something you don't see every day (well, not since the mid-90s or so).

Impressive patina going on!

881209706_Screenshot_20230101-1245272.thumb.png.7fe3ef643f0c5e1497c707863f483966.png

One for the Wedgister... and does look well worth saving.

Its not nearly as bad as it looks in the pictures might be a little beyond my expertise though sadly :( 

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Get it bought. Give the welding a go, by sounds of it be a useful skill to have  if you are around old cars. Even a cheap shit one will stick two bits of metal together to a satisfactory standard. 

...... Aye, ovallers would just line it out with scaffy board + 5/8" bolts....

😕

5 hours ago, Motown said:

Ive been to see this today as its literally a stones throw away from my house so close i could probably push it home if it wasnt at the bottom of a hill

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/583799510251469/

It started on the first turn of the key when ran on an external tank the engine and box seemed good. Its got a Spanish transmission so that kinda rules me out as i can only drive Automatico but id really like to save/restore it. Unfortunately the rear arches are rather crispy and theirs a hole in the front passenger footwell/floor plan where it looks like a jack has gone through. The interior is very good though not even the headliner is sagging and its looks to be complete i would probably give it a shot if i could weld but i cant.

Tax disc said 1995 so i assume thats when it was last on the road am going back tomorrow with the Mrs to have another look so il take some photos and post them here somebody really should rescue it.  

I don't accept you need a whole donor car to make this automagic.

There's not an ECU on the car to get fussy about the transmission, and (assuming 1.7 auto was a factory option) the box should bolt straight on. Then you need the interior bits and cables from shift lever to box, job done.

All that said, this is a project that requires time, space and money even without the transmission swap. 

For my Maestro I'm farming out the bodywork to a Man Who Can. I'd happily have a go at welding, but filling and painting outdoors is not fun. 

2 minutes ago, grogee said:

There's not an ECU on the car to get fussy about the transmission, and (assuming 1.7 auto was a factory option) the box should bolt straight on. Then you need the interior bits and cables from shift lever to box, job done.

All that said, this is a project that requires time, space and money even without the transmission swap. 

For my Maestro I'm farming out the bodywork to a Man Who Can. I'd happily have a go at welding, but filling and painting outdoors is not fun. 

Do the autos and manuals have different cranks like on the Mini though? 

2 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Do the autos and manuals have different cranks like on the Mini though? 

I'm guessing no, but flywheel might be different.

There may also be some throttle link gubbins for kickdown, not that it would make any difference in a O-series automatic.

This is based on extensive* experience of working on 1 (one) Ambassador in 1993.

18 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

If you wish to remain in a harmonious domestic relationship,I'd be leaving that fucker where you found it!🤣

Also known as... 

"Ahhh I see you have chosen death!" 🤣 

@Motown If you buy this. PM me your address, as I've got a few Ambassador HBOL's that I'll happily send you one FOC. BUT! Only if you do a buy and haven't been killed to death by the wife lol. 

2 hours ago, grogee said:

If i did buy it i would probably just restore it and then find it a good home rather than convert it to automatic

52 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Also known as... 

"Ahhh I see you have chosen death!" 🤣 

@Motown If you buy this. PM me your address, as I've got a few Ambassador HBOL's that I'll happily send you one FOC. BUT! Only if you do a buy and haven't been killed to death by the wife lol. 

Thats very kind of you! Any chance you do welding and divorce settlements FOC aswell?

3 hours ago, grogee said:

I find filling quite relaxing actually, it reminds me of summer. Between May and August I often didn’t have fingerprints back in the day. 🤣

Here are the full lyrics for those who'd like to sing along.

JOHN SHUTTLEWORTH

Y Reg Lyrics

My Austin Ambassador Y reg, Y reg, Y reg

My Austin Ambassador Y reg is a car that I revere

My Austin Ambassador Y reg, Y reg, Y reg

Don't keep asking me why, Reg

It just happens to be that year

Now you may covet a Clio

Or a Mondeo

Marvel at the Montego

Fine but not me, no

Now you may be utterly sold on