Shite on television

somewhatfoolish

Try Slow Horses. Just finished watching the second season and someone has clearly gone to some effort to populate the show with prime AS cars despite the contemporary setting. It's nearly in your face the older than expected cars for a current show. Someone has good taste, I even spotted an X300 in it. It's a good show to boot.

I was watching Call the Midwife the other day and I couldn’t help but notice that Nurse Crane’s famous Morris Minor…

FC4B9BA9-E782-49C5-9F67-3858D09C4B74.thumb.jpeg.0977bb84f70a0d8765e59380ca51fdfe.jpeg

… has been replaced with a more modern Traveller!

5485EFB9-F523-45D8-B11C-829235564810.jpeg.3a8c951386215ea88b86f97faa4dfba3.jpeg

And clearly she’s quite into car mods because, as far as I’m aware, Moggies were never offered in Surf Blue!

Oh and also a bloke in an Austin Cambridge hit a girl, plus a nun bought a Lambretta:

247CA844-D487-43B8-95B7-A63BA0569071.thumb.jpeg.3e37ddb2d41679e69bf820cc8950f07d.jpeg99087050-A6C5-4A43-9937-754306F9CBC2.thumb.jpeg.b3b6f7ffff3061449875df89ef278996.jpeg

8 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Poor use of a Mk1 Fiesta Yellow Mini Cooper when Stonehouse was picked up upon his release. Still don't get the left hand Cortinas, my guess that scene were filmed in Greece or Spain.

FFS point I was making is that they were supposed to be in Australia and the cars where LHD which where not allowed on public roads in that country until I think the 90's possibly 00's.

So the police definitely wouldn't have had them.

It probably was filmed in southern Europe as cortinas Upto the MK3 where sold in lhd in Italy,Spain etc same as they where in northern Europe alongside the equivalent taunus.

The other "Australian"  scenes  hand the cars like the white  MK2 jag strategically shot so the steering wheel was obscured.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, Pieman said:

The TV adaptation of Blott On The Landscape from the 80s had a few good cars - civil servant Dundridge (Simon Cadell) had a Metro, corrupt politician Sir Giles Lynchwood (George Cole) had a Vanden Plas SD1, he and his wife also had a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud which happily is still on the road today, and there's lots of background stuff including a Mk3 Cortina and (iirc) a Renault 16 which get crushed by a demolition crane.  There's a Cressida which appears in a few background shots which I believe was owned by one of the production team, and a few police vehicles including a Maestro, an early Range Rover, another SD1 and a later Cortina plus a couple of early Transit ambulances.

Watched this again recently and spotted more - title character Blott (David Suchet) is seen driving a Land Rover pick-up, there's a couple of FX4 taxis, a brief scene with a Mk2 Cavalier estate, an even briefer background shot of a Fiat Argenta, two minor characters own a Rover P6 and an Allegro, there are several old lorries, and perhaps rarest of all in one shot of motorway traffic is an American SUV which the excellent IMCDB site identifies as a Plymouth Trailduster, which was much more commonly sold as the Dodge Ramcharger and is rare as a Plymouth even in the US.

Watched 'the gold' last night. First episode, so supposed to be late 1983. They've got the main detective driving round in a mk3 Granada!

I mean, I'm prepared to accept inappropriately placed stuff - like the flying squad with an Audi 80, and overlook the fact that EVERY police car was an SD1 (probably the same two) but putting one of your major characters in a car that wasn't available until 1985 is just poor.

They probably think people don't notice but it kind of spoils it for me. Rant over 😀

2 hours ago, MrBiscuits said:

Watched 'the gold' last night. First episode, so supposed to be late 1983. They've got the main detective driving round in a mk3 Granada!

I mean, I'm prepared to accept inappropriately placed stuff - like the flying squad with an Audi 80, and overlook the fact that EVERY police car was an SD1 (probably the same two) but putting one of your major characters in a car that wasn't available until 1985 is just poor.

They probably think people don't notice but it kind of spoils it for me. Rant over 😀

I noticed that and was under orders not to mention anything about cars during the program. The Mk3 didn’t even come out until 1985 ffs! I was really looking forward to watching it but it’s lack of accuracy to the actual story pissed me off as well, I was puzzled why they renamed characters in the story that had been found guilty and in some cases omitted key people out. All the information is out there but for whatever reason it obviously wasn’t Hollywood enough.