Enigmatic collection thread

Lacquer Peel

3 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161598393985

If you keep on top of them they're OK but most folks ignore them until the next MoT - mine used to screw up mainly 'cos the cables were prone to seizing -  I was lazy with mine as I has an automatic so just used 'P' - that didn't help at the MoT. (I'm grumpy 'cos I hate failing MoTs and the Musso did on the handbrake)

Having said that the design is  a bit weird and there was a lot of yadda yadda on the Ssanyong owners forums about 'they were upside down' etc etc. 
The adjuster is a 'wee fucker' to work out (I'm pretty sure the other Club Members here will have some 'secrets' that they can share)

What on earth. I'm handing it back for a full refund now. 

6 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161598393985

If you keep on top of them they're OK but most folks ignore them until the next MoT - mine used to screw up mainly 'cos the cables were prone to seizing -  I was lazy with mine as I has an automatic so just used 'P' - that didn't help at the MoT. (I'm grumpy 'cos I hate failing MoTs and the Musso did on the handbrake)

Having said that the design is  a bit weird and there was a lot of yadda yadda on the Ssanyong owners forums about 'they were upside down' etc etc. 
The adjuster is a 'wee fucker' to work out (I'm pretty sure the other Club Members here will have some 'secrets' that they can share)

Picture 1 of 1

I tried to cheap out and just replace the ragged rubber grommets that house the lever from the brake cylinder (along sith shoes), but ended up buying cylinder rebuild kits and also needing the daft spring that the shoe sits on.

I was FUCKING AMAZED that the back plates were all good. If not, you're in a world of hurt as you know, given they are part of the wheel cylinder housing.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

Ooooh nicely done sir!

A Rexton is a strong third place in the Ssangyongs I would like to lick vigorously, after a Mk1 Musso and a Mk1 Korrando.

Mk1 Korando might be hard to find as they never sold them here - Asia Rocsta probably the closest thing.  I wouldn't mind a Mk2 though, preferably with a nice sedate OM602.  I remember sitting in one at the Earls Court motor show in 1997 - I remember it being very plasticky and the gear lever had no detent to stop you going from 5th straight into reverse.  Weird the things you remember from 25 years ago...

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Mk1 Korando might be hard to find as they never sold them here - Asia Rocsta probably the closest thing.  I wouldn't mind a Mk2 though, preferably with a nice sedate OM602.  I remember sitting in one at the Earls Court motor show in 1997 - I remember it being very plasticky and the gear lever had no detent to stop you going from 5th straight into reverse.  Weird the things you remember from 25 years ago...

Oops - my bad - I meant the Mk2 earlier then  - the guy here has a late (Daewoo badged) Black one up on the stands [ Maybe he's waiting for back plates] and they do pop up on FleaBay/FB from time to time like this one at £3750 

The horseshoe shaped brake shoes can be a bugger to keep sat in the clips - once you master that then I seem to recall it's just a case of making sure the adjuster can run freely (and you remember to adjust). Mine also just kept on wearing either the leading or trailing edge (can't recall which - gifferdom approaching) of the material but you can reverse them. 
I'd just have a look at them once the weather improves and see what's what - mine was 50% neglect and 50% cable problems - both avoidable.

Product photo of 1999 Ssangyong Korando

I believe that both technology and human evolution have now reached the zenith. We've got the perfect synergy of peak car, peak biscuit, peak internet and peak presenter/youtube personality right here.

pack up and go home youtubers, this one won't be beaten.