A poor collection thread

drewd

4 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

More Frontera pics dude..... Loved mine until I killed it playing in a quarry. 

PansyPanzer an estate, saloon, coupe? 

I missed earlier mentions 

I'll see if I can get a few pictures of the Frontera  tomorrow if I get a chance.

The Merc is a C270 saloon.

My initial plan changed as it had a flat battery yesterday. It charged up ok overnight and started fine but the fuel level was low so I didn't use it today. I've chucked a couple of gallons of diesel in so I can drive it to a fuel station tomorrow.

Instead @DaveDorson and I used his Mondeo to nip down to Herts as we had some stuff that needed sorting today and the Merc was becoming a bit of a distraction.

All being well I'll use it for some errands tomorrow then take it back to Lancs.

I've not driven an auto in 15 years and I'll be rolling on 4 Winrun tyres. Much excite.

Winrun means winter winner right?

So I'm home. The issues Dave mentioned stem from it running out of Diesel on my parents drive and me successfully* getting fresh fuel through. I'd had it running on the drive for ages, but as I left my parents house I got about 20 metres round the corner then it cut out. After a few more false starts it was running well so I set off to Dave's.

I applied the parking brake at a set of lights, released it on a green light and while the pedal came back up and the dash lever felt it'd done it's thing the car was beeping and flashing warnings at me that the brake was still on. I pulled into a car park then applied and released it a few times then decided not to use it again until I've investigated the issue as a sticking handbrake in ice is probably best avoided.

With those issues out the way and full confidence in the car I filled the car with fuel and screenwash and set the appropriate tyre pressures then continued on my way to Dave's.

From there it was back to mine, 170 miles all in and it hasn't missed a beat. Overall I'm pleased with the car. It's got a few issues to sort but it's comfy, lovely to drive and generally a nice place to be. 

14 hours ago, drewd said:

So I'm home. The issues Dave mentioned stem from it running out of Diesel on my parents drive and me successfully* getting fresh fuel through. I'd had it running on the drive for ages, but as I left my parents house I got about 20 metres round the corner then it cut out. After a few more false starts it was running well so I set off to Dave's.

I applied the parking brake at a set of lights, released it on a green light and while the pedal came back up and the dash lever felt it'd done it's thing the car was beeping and flashing warnings at me that the brake was still on. I pulled into a car park then applied and released it a few times then decided not to use it again until I've investigated the issue as a sticking handbrake in ice is probably best avoided.

With those issues out the way and full confidence in the car I filled the car with fuel and screenwash and set the appropriate tyre pressures then continued on my way to Dave's.

From there it was back to mine, 170 miles all in and it hasn't missed a beat. Overall I'm pleased with the car. It's got a few issues to sort but it's comfy, lovely to drive and generally a nice place to be. 

Try pulling the parking brake back up with your foot. It's common on these that when they haven't been used for a while, the pedal drops slightly, just enough to activate the switch that tells it the parking brake is applied. It probably isn't, it's just that the spring on it is slightly lazy.

I'm almost completely sure that it'll be that. It's a really common thing and usually sorts itself out with a bit of use.

Also, I don't think the car will have any way to know that the brake is applied or not. It just knows using the switch attached to the lever. If it thinks the brake is applied, it's just measuring lever position

And some interior shots.

Excuse the stuff in and around the car. The items in and around the passenger seat and footwell is brake related. The brakes were crap so my Dad had been replacing the brakes, calipers etc. Progress stopped on one side as the brake line snapped and the master cylinder failed.

New lines have been made up and are roughly routed where they need to go, the master cylinder has been replaced and he's waiting for someone to reattach the caliper, check over the rest of the brakes then reassemble and bleed the system. That was supposed to happen this weekend but the weather stopped play.

IMG_20221211_084942.jpg

IMG_20221211_085000.jpg

4 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Try pulling the parking brake back up with your foot. It's common on these that when they haven't been used for a while, the pedal drops slightly, just enough to activate the switch that tells it the parking brake is applied. It probably isn't, it's just that the spring on it is slightly lazy.

I'm almost completely sure that it'll be that. It's a really common thing and usually sorts itself out with a bit of use.

Also, I don't think the car will have any way to know that the brake is applied or not. It just knows using the switch attached to the lever. If it thinks the brake is applied, it's just measuring lever position

Thanks. I did actually do that when I'd stopped in a car park, but I wasn't sure if that's what had caused the warning to go out.

I'd presumed there was a switch somewhere, but didn't know if it was on the pedal or something that's detected when you pull the release lever on the dash. Now it's back on home ground I can spend some time going over it in a it more detail.

I've never owned a Merc so I'll probably be seeking advice on a regular basis as I work through it all. I'm impressed by it so far though, especially as it's been unused for a while.

5 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

Those discs look rusty, but they're basically new.  They tyres are "old" but they've not done many miles either.

It drives alright when it's up and together to be honest.

Yeah I think Dad set about renewing the brakes all round. I think both calipers are new too. It'll be a good truck once it's done.