My Mini/MINI History

MiniMinorMk3

As some may have noticed I have had a few Minis, so over the next few weeks I will start posting up my Mini history.

My first Mini experience was my mothers 1970 Mini 1000 Auto. I had learned to drive in a VW Bug, so the Mini was a completely different thing, especially with the auto box. I ended up wrecking the box trying to do wheelspins by revving the engine and shoving it into gear. After the second attempt something broke, probably the auto clutches, as it would take about 1 minute to get to 30mph. It was OK in reverse. That was replaced with a Volvo 66 Estate. Sorry, no pics, I had yet to buy a camera and we didn't have phones that could leave the house back then

My next Mini thing was a Wolseley Hornet purchased to help a girl friend pass their test. It cost £130 and did it's job. It was white with a dark blue roof and pale grey interior. As soon as said test was passed a 1200 VW Bug was purchased and the Wolseley went off for what was paid for it. Again no pics.

In 1985 I purchased my one and only new car. On the 1st of August I went to Dutton Forshaw in Tonbridge to pick up my Mini Ritz. They gave me a better deal on my Alfa Romeo Giulietta than Caffyns, so Forshaws it was. For some reason I thought a Mini would be great, and I also thought the idea of a new car was good. I had all the new car smell, the kudos of the new reg letter on the 1st of August blah blah. With only a 998 engine it was a bit of a comedown after the Alfa, but I soon learnt that the brakes were only for emergencies and teh car could go around most bends with just a lift off the go pedal.

I stuck a Rookie wood dash in it with some extra gauges, a stereo with some shelf mounted speaker, a passenger door mirror and have some winter fun in it. Luckily the car came with AA relay, as a few months into ownership one of the rear wheel bearings collapsed. That was fixed under warranty. Whilst waiting for it to be fixed a salesmen tried to sell me a Mini Chelsea, I said no thanks, the Ritz you sold me has already broken, why would I buy another.

After 9 months and 14,000 mile I traded it for an MGB roadster, no idea why, as the MG was just about the worst car I have ever owned.

And because around teh same time I had purchased my first camera (Olympus OM10), there are some pictures of the Ritz.

Car complete with winter coat

1128908845_Ritz2.jpg.248cc78dfcd927f8b3b1fc88475acc15.jpg

Under the moon

191057910_Ritz3.jpg.e2a47a2586ca90c119e47933c3f8844b.jpg

Well that's it for now, next time we move ahead a few years.