MG ZR. Yes.

andyberg

I may* have just done a buy. MG ZR+ 105. 

72k miles, 3 owners, last one a 60ish year old lady that bought from the original owners (family friends) First owner was the dealership. Cambelt done at 62k. Few very small niggles that are easily sorted. MOT expired 4 days ago but has only done 900 miles since last one. I know about OMGHGF with these but this one seems good, no milky stuff in the oil filler and clean coolant. Huge stack of paperwork to go with the car.

So autoshite collective what can/ should I expect? 

IMG_20221201_175043.jpg

A facelift as well, unpopular opinion but I like them even more. 

Fuckin win I'd say as long as you havent paid too much. Having said that, the banger boys are going mad over them at the moment so if it moves under its own steam (pun not intended) then that's automatically £500 or so

18 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

A facelift as well, unpopular opinion but I like them even more. 

Fuckin win I'd say as long as you havent paid too much. Having said that, the banger boys are going mad over them at the moment so if it moves under its own steam (pun not intended) then that's automatically £500 or so

A bit more than £500 but way less than a bag. I think (providing it passes the MOT on Tuesday) I will have got a decent car. A bit of me prefers the 'old man' styling of the pre facelift but I don't dislike this look. The lady selling it refused to sell it to a previous viewer because he said he wanted to strip it and race it. She wants it to stay on the road, how can I refuse an old ladies wishes!

54 minutes ago, andyberg said:

72k miles, 3 owners, last one a 60ish year old lady that bought from the original owners (family friends) First owner was the dealership. Cambelt done at 62k. Few very small niggles that are easily sorted. MOT expired 4 days ago but has only done 900 miles since last one. I know about OMGHGF with these but this one seems good, no milky stuff in the oil filler and clean coolant. Huge stack of paperwork to go with the car.

IMG_20221201_175043.jpg

My wife would love this! Is it for sale? As for me well surely i need no introduction when it comes to Rovers  :) 

Cheers 

34 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I have heard it's not the very expensive job it used to be??

Only issue there can be is skimming the head - they can be skimmed once but after that there’s nothing left so results in a new head - if it needs it.

But all the updated stuff comes from SAIC and their N series engine in the MG 6. The one thing that could improve things is relocating the thermostat or use the PRV modification from the Freelander.

I liked my ZR for the 2 days I drove it. They’re an alright car, only issue with facelift versions is the Project Drive bullshit so everything is a little cheaper.

Cant go wrong really. 

40 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I have heard it's not the very expensive job it used to be??

I think those mobile guys do it for about £400 including cambelt depending on area, assuming the head doesn't need any work. They carry a spare head and it's another £200 or so on an exchange basis if needed. So no, not ruinous as long as it's otherwise an alright example 

Sunroof ones are worth more because the mechanisms are unobtainium so the banger boys usually ask about £200 for them alone

If you get it done anyone else make sure they're checking the liner heights otherwise you're just wasting your time and money, it'll go again if they've gone out of spec

Nice one! I read somewhere when I got hold of a late zr (which was some sort of special edition that had barry style clear rear clusters as standard) that even if the coolant drops over time, it’s worth investigating before making conclusions. The inlet Manifold cooling system gasket can weep and can get misdiagnosed as HGF.  

On 12/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, andyberg said:

IMG_20221201_175043.jpg

Just yes basically. Yes

7 hours ago, HMC said:

Nice one! I read somewhere when I got hold of a late zr (which was some sort of special edition that had barry style clear rear clusters as standard) that even if the coolant drops over time, it’s worth investigating before making conclusions. The inlet Manifold cooling system gasket can weep and can get misdiagnosed as HGF.  

Absolutely spot on the inlet manifold gasket fails coolant gets into a cylinder (usually 1 or 4) causing it to misfire until the cars warmed up. Folk see the coolant loss and rough idle at cold start and instantly assume HGF

9 hours ago, Motown said:

Absolutely spot on the inlet manifold gasket fails coolant gets into a cylinder (usually 1 or 4) causing it to misfire until the cars warmed up. Folk see the coolant loss and rough idle at cold start and instantly assume HGF

100% this - FIL’s ZT-T did this and the HG was spot on, luckily he knew K-series well enough to notice the true cause of the coolant dropping

15 hours ago, AxWomble said:

100% this - FIL’s ZT-T did this and the HG was spot on, luckily he knew K-series well enough to notice the true cause of the coolant dropping

Thank you! I dont know why they are tarred with HGF issues ive owned tonnes of Rovers and not one has suffered HGF. Am not saying it doesn't happen ive repaired a few but with correct maintenance it shouldn't happen. More often than not in my experience HGF is often a misdiagnosis and i can honestly say on this model alone i think ive replaced more split or swallon radiator hoses than head gaskets,