Peak Car.

Roverageous

4 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

Haven’t we had this thread recently? I remember I was on my own in saying 1981. I stand by this as I believe the 1982 model Cortina’s ( available from October 1981) are the best cars ever made. I am so sure of this that I have recently agreed to buy more for my collection. You must all be children on here or I am older than I like to think, I think mid nineties was general consensus on here last time

Yep, been here before and I reckon you’re correct with the general consensus then. Anyway, as you know, I also love 1982 Cortinas, as posted before in the work I put into mine back in the day. So please let me know more about you adding to your collection😃

It depends what you want from a car.

For me, I think 90s Toyotas have it nailed. Overbuilt, tough as old boots and as reliable as they come. Some creature comforts and one eye on safety. 

That's why my MR2 turbo is never going anywhere.

The 'best' car I have ever owned though, is one that continues to fly under the radar and is worth buttons.

My 2004 Ssangyong RX290. These, to me are pretty much peak 4X4. Mechanical injection, not rust prone, separate chassis, 3.5T towing capacity, veg friendly, comfortable and well appointed, good road manners, good off road (diff a little low), capacious inside.

They do anything you ask of them and just keep going and going. Mine's what, 18 years old? Yes it just failed its test, but on some play in a front bearing (sorted), handbrake cables (my fault, forgot to add circlip and they came loose lol) and a brake pipe. I'll sort that this weekend.

I've owned this for 6 years, now and it is no bother. Another I really don't plan to sell.

Compared to the competition, how many of them can manage an MOT without being or needing welded? At less than half the age, many are a mess.

I wouldn't have rated them really when new and expensive, but as a basic, yet comfortable workhorse that you can rely on to fire up whenever you need it and bits aren't falling off it, they can't be touched IMO.

Hats off to Ssangyong on this one.  #peak4x4

C13818E8-6D05-4029-9E5C-B5A9D6DFE6DC.png

D67949D4-2649-4BA5-84DB-41C5AA907127.png

5 hours ago, RoadworkUK said:

Actually screw it. Mk1 Mondeo. 1.8 GLX. Drives well, rides well, comfy, safe, well equipped, mechanically dependable, Nobody really needs any more car than that. From an actual merit outflanking nostalgia or image perspective, it's probably the best car Ford ever made. And kind of a dry run for the Focus.

You beat me to it. Can't argue with @Missy Charm's summation of the Focus, which was brilliant. But for pure family mile munching a Mondeo is hard to beat. They were everywhere. GM had no answer (the Vectra was shit in comparison) and it only struggled because Tobias and Bronwyn wanted the four rings of success or the blue propellor of thrust.

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

I reckon it's only a matter of time before Len Hatred and 320t have one each an awl.

I dunno who these people are, but they clearly know what's up.

I received the ultimate accolade for mine, when mountain biking. Two lads with a VW Transporter were loving my bike carrying set up and tyres. 😂

These Santa Cruz riders normally do not lower themselves to talk to the rest of us.

7 hours ago, Roverageous said:

I realise that this will be highly subjective, but I'm very interested to see what everyone values in their 'ideal' car. I suspect a lot will be due to people's ages, and what cars they grew up around too!

For me, the car peaked in the early 2000s. Modern enough to have AC / electric windows / heated this and that etc... rust resistant enough to (mostly) still be plodding on, economical enough to justify running & reliable enough (with maintenance, obviously) to be viable.

I have two nominations, which for anyone who's seen any of my threads, won't be a surprise...

Rover 75: This is the emotionally charged entry. I've been in love with the Rover 75 since it was announced (I was 10), and have done most of my life's motoring in them. I've owned every engine / transmission option, and they've all been superbly reliable - I've never been left by the roadside by one. On the flip side, I do understand why people don't like them - the styling is subjective, and the 1.8 engine has its issues.

Volvo P2 Platform: This is the sensible entry. A great range of 5-cylinder engines, and the cars are well capable of silly mileages. Estates and 4x4 models are superbly practical with a 7-seat offering in the XC90. Styling is perhaps not as characterful as the Rover, but probably slightly better materials and screwed together very nicely. There isn't much more you could need from a car.

Over to you...

Never had a 75 or equivalent MG, but like the look of them.

Now Volvos yes I've owned a V70 T5 from 2002 and loved it as a family wagon it couldn't be better. Anything you want to put in it will go in easily without folding the seats. If it won't then strap to the roof rails. The T5 is faster than other road users expect so quite a sleeper, also handles and holds the road better than it has a right to.

DSCN5206.thumb.JPG.30f6b9e828c18f5dd9330259e60d1eb0.JPG

Now my kids have left and it's usually only the two of us I have a C30 T5 from 2011. It has the same simple controls the V70 had and a newer version of the T5 engine, fast comfortable and nimble. I can put the rear seats down to put more junk in the back (my bike will go in easily) if I need to and makes the 180 mile each way trip to see the kids something I look forward to. Still some what of a sleeper as no one seems to know what it is.

IMG_5129.thumb.JPG.307f40e31b1019d5dd9aa48587f63ce8.JPG

6 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

There's only one answer:

Used Ford Focus MkI buyer's guide | | Auto Express

All right, two answers:

Used Ford Focus review | Auto Express

They do everything you need, little you don't and are good to drive.  The early Focuses excel at nothing (other than handling), but the corollary is that they fail at nothing.  They are slightly better than average in every category one can think of, which is what an ordinary family car should seek to do.  The best ordinary car of all time, in my opinion.  

Well my Volvo C30 T5 is basically a Focus ST mk2 so another answer you could add. I prefer it to the Focus (which i do like very much)  mainly because it is much more unusual and I love the way it looks espesially from the back more than the Focus. The T5 is more subtle than the ST which I think I'd be a bit embarrassed to drive.

KQDR0720.thumb.JPG.d539fc00319c71a3473f7d46bcbe8407.JPG

3 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Nothing beats a Saab 900, ideally Turbo 8 valve 5 door. If you get a good one and can afford to keep it in petrol there is no better car.

1993_Saab_900_(TU5M)_Turbo_5-door_hatchback_(2015-06-18)_02.jpg

I love the look of these and seriously meant to buy one in 2005. I joined an owners club and all the problems partly with finding parts for them even then put me off, so I bought another Swede, the V70.

A mate of mine has one rotting on the drive that isn't really worth getting on the road, but he can't bear to scrap! (I don't have a picture of it and not really a good view on Google).

The car I most enjoyed was a 1979 Capri 3-litre S which had an uprated 3.1 engine with 270 Piper Magnum cam (possibly a 285)  and lowered suspension. 33 years ago.

It wasn't the most practical of cars and I have had many better cars since then but, at the time, - WOW. 

Quick power steering, perfect seating position, and the twin-exhaust Essex V6 soundtrack through larger bore pipes did it for me. It was so basic and easy to work on.

I've had a few of the cars mentioned:
Rover 75, which I got for free... I would say great car for someone who wants something reasonably comfortable, reliable, economical etc. I just found the 2 litre diesel a little too uninspiring to drive and for everyday driving an auto works for me. Too lazy to be rowing gears at 7am on the way to work.
Volvo P2, S60 D5 auto flavour. Euro 3 for max mpgs and reliability. Really like this and still have it. My other half's main driver. Very good economy, decent performance, good durability and decent cruiser. 6.5/10 interior wise which is enough to be pleasant. I bought this from this forum and replaced the notorious oil leaking core plug. £600 for the pleasure. Other than a split abs ring it's been as good as gold and reliable and with the achilles heel fixed I hope it to be in service for a good amount of time.
Audi B5. Perhaps not what the original poster had in mind in S4 flavour but I will say that it was reliable in my ownership. I did spend a silly amount of money modifying and fortifying but as an estate it was a really solid all rounder. 500hp, estate, leather seats, bose sound system it did a lot very well. I moved house in it, numerous tip runs etc.

One I would add is the X350. Not as reliable as preciously mentioned but not far off and I think in 3.0 petrol guise I think it'll be one of the cheapest ways of travelling in A grade luxury. I really like these and will no doubt have another in the future.

I'll also add the lexus LS430 because I'm rather enjoying mine at the moment!

For me it's a toss up between a mk1 astra, ot mk2 cavalier. I had 2 of each, nothing too fancy a 1.3gl then 1.6sr astra, then a 1.6gl and a 1.6l cavalier. Loved every one of them, never a breakdown and cheap to run, despite the abuse the astras got! The 1.3 astra was my second car and it followed a rusty hand me down allegro 1.1 which was my first car. There was no comparison really.

Subaru Impreza WRX blob eye wagon from 2004/5 with a 2.0 l engine was a brilliant car .

Every car in one. High performance sports car, ( without any reliability issues), , family car, 4x4 for winter conditions , the wagon could even be a small van when you needed one.

Then Subaru firstly ruined their reputation for reliability with the 2.5l engine, introduced replacement models that no one wanted ( hatchback model ) and finally abandoned Europe except for some bland hybrid SUVs.

It was also a reasonable price given the entry price for today’s equivalents like the Golf R starts well north of £40k.

4 hours ago, grogee said:

Do you like BDSM?

You've seen my VHS collection?  😆

I just like the thought of knowing I'm gonna get to where I'm going, no electronics which can stop me, as long as that Diesel's rattlin, I'm getting home. Still have ABS, and proper heating/demisting/power steering and superb suspension and brakes. Having driven a W124 in HORRENDOUS weather on the autobahn, it just gives an invincible feeling of security and trust. 

I'm going through a massive phase of back to basics at the moment. Remembering what a car is ACTUALLY for. We seem to have gone down the same road as with smartphones, where a phonecall is way down the list of what they are used for- they are sold on 5G, cameras, Tik Tok....  Great.. sometimes I need to call someone and there's no signal... a pigeon would be more use.. but I have 300 apps which dont help.

If you are broken down at the side of the road because your can bus has gone awry.. your'e a victim of a decision made somewhere that decided for you what you need. 

This crops up every year or two on here, but it's interesting to see how the answers have changed. Personally I wouldn't touch any modern whizzo diseasel for fear of turbo/fuel delivery/DMF replacement costs but all the Japanese petrol cars I'd have chosen a few years ago have pretty much disappeared due to rust and general decrepitude. Maybe a Lexus LS if you can afford the fuel?
Pre ME7 5 pot Volvo petrols would be my choice, they don't seem too bad for tinworm considering they're at least 25 years old and disintegrating interior plastics aside, always a Volvo problem they should last another good few years.

I’d have to go with a ph1 Citroen Xsara. Maximum comfort and enjoyment to drive with minimum fuss. As big a car as I’d ever need, small enough for city use. Ride and handling combo that’s hard to beat. Aircon, good sound insulation, reliable fuel injected pezzers, non-multiplexed electrics, resistant to rotting. Flies completely under the radar, and is way more than the sum of its parts is a very 90s PSA kind of way. Oh, and make it an estate!

14 hours ago, Matty said:

I was going to go mark 3. Less rot prone. But otherwise yep, your right

My son describes his mk4 Astra as a cavalier.  Look closely. It's pretty much a mk2 cavalier in size and a mk3 in technology.  Rear beam suspension is interchangeable. 

My vote is therefore a mk4 Astra. 

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Crash safety. While good compared to others at the time, there was significant improvements in the industry during that time with those released late 90s, early 00s.  

Fair point I guess, it’s one reason I changed my 940 for an XC90… 

3 hours ago, New POD said:

My son describes his mk4 Astra as a cavalier.  Look closely. It's pretty much a mk2 cavalier in size and a mk3 in technology.  Rear beam suspension is interchangeable. 

My vote is therefore a mk4 Astra. 

I don’t know the Cavalier just seemed so much more cheerful than the Mk4 Astra. The Cavalier was quite nice inside and looked well, the Mk4 Astra always seemed like a disappointment, it just wasn’t very pleasant. The higher spec ones were ok I suppose but a 1.4 Envoy in dark blue was just dreadful. Ok as a car I suppose but on the whole driving one every day would have you reaching for the Prozac. 

I agree with @sutty2006 regarding the mk3 Mondeo. It’s all I need in terms of space and gadgets.
7AF242B5-9C09-4FC2-9598-0FB385262AFC.thumb.jpeg.05692a7342d8f52ad03360be3b6bd901.jpeg

However, I’m in the process of restoring a Mercedes E 430 T which I think is the pinnacle of automotive engineering (even though it looks a bit weird). It feels like a modern w124 to drive with a better transmission which I think is the drawback of the older model. 
86BA5C70-1691-4587-950B-89945554112D.thumb.jpeg.97f25d10d001af5032cf0395f154ce65.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Rightnider said:

I agree with @sutty2006 regarding the mk3 Mondeo. It’s all I need in terms of space and gadgets.
7AF242B5-9C09-4FC2-9598-0FB385262AFC.thumb.jpeg.05692a7342d8f52ad03360be3b6bd901.jpeg

However, I’m in the process of restoring a Mercedes E 430 T which I think is the pinnacle of automotive engineering (even though it looks a bit weird). It feels like a modern w124 to drive with a better transmission which I think is the drawback of the older model. 
86BA5C70-1691-4587-950B-89945554112D.thumb.jpeg.97f25d10d001af5032cf0395f154ce65.jpeg

The Mk3 was leaps and bounds ahead of the Mk2 but I’d not call the diesels peak car. Great new as a company car but way way too problematic as they got past 5 years old. EGR resembling something from the carboniferous period, incontinent injectors, variable vanes coking up, fuel pumps committing and taking the injectors with them, injectors bollocksed by 100,000, the two thermostats constantly failing, DMFs crapping out at 100k, perpetually leaking rear calipers, subframe bushes falling out, brake pipes rotting for fun as they go over the tank... no thanks!!