Not quite shite Scudo van

djoptix

• 4 weeks later...

Right, update.

I enjoyed* the white van for a bit and kept an eye out on FB marketplace for some bits to improve it - decent seat and a bulkhead being high on the list.

Then spotted a Scudo for sale locally for £500 as a non runner. It would turn over but not start and also had a small coolant leak. I checked the scrap value, and found it to be about £450. So I cheekily offered £400 for it and was happy when the seller accepted. It's got a bulkhead in, seats from the people carrier version, decent ply lining etc. I figured if I could get it running I would keep it, and if I couldn't I would put the bulkhead and seats in the white one and scrap the grey one, and still be in profit.

Went to pick up and tow it home, and before doing so I thumped the fuel tank and fiddled around with the fuel pump relay and fuses. It started!! I felt a bit bad about the £400 but sod it. Drove van home, very happy. It's a million times nicer than the white one, though actually a bit slower I think.

IMG_20221218_120846.thumb.jpg.a8eb1d171c496322f96dda4e7b3aa7f5.jpg

Put my racking in the back, fitted it with a pipe tube. Fitted led lighting in the back too. Happy days. Coolant leak still constant but slow, suspect a hose or something. Topping it up every few days. Drove to Devon in it the other day! All going well. Insured it properly yesterday - am now committed! What a nice van.

Today it lunched its waterpump. FML

Going to be back in the white one tomorrow! More temporary insurance, more hassle. This one is booked in for waterpump and cambelt next Thursday. Did I say FML yet?

On 1/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, djoptix said:

Have you broken a series of mirrors recently, or perhaps walked under a thousand ladders?

Between the two of them, there exists one decent van and a few saleable spares. 

All* you need is a large workshop, unlimited tools and about a week to piss about swapping the bits over; what are you waiting for?

Did the water pump fail leave you stranded?

On 1/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, djoptix said:

Right, update.

I enjoyed* the white van for a bit and kept an eye out on FB marketplace for some bits to improve it - decent seat and a bulkhead being high on the list.

Then spotted a Scudo for sale locally for £500 as a non runner. It would turn over but not start and also had a small coolant leak. I checked the scrap value, and found it to be about £450. So I cheekily offered £400 for it and was happy when the seller accepted. It's got a bulkhead in, seats from the people carrier version, decent ply lining etc. I figured if I could get it running I would keep it, and if I couldn't I would put the bulkhead and seats in the white one and scrap the grey one, and still be in profit.

Went to pick up and tow it home, and before doing so I thumped the fuel tank and fiddled around with the fuel pump relay and fuses. It started!! I felt a bit bad about the £400 but sod it. Drove van home, very happy. It's a million times nicer than the white one, though actually a bit slower I think.

IMG_20221218_120846.thumb.jpg.a8eb1d171c496322f96dda4e7b3aa7f5.jpg

Put my racking in the back, fitted it with a pipe tube. Fitted led lighting in the back too. Happy days. Coolant leak still constant but slow, suspect a hose or something. Topping it up every few days. Drove to Devon in it the other day! All going well. Insured it properly yesterday - am now committed! What a nice van.

Going to be back in the white one tomorrow! More temporary insurance, more hassle. This one is booked in for waterpump and cambelt next Thursday. Did I say FML yet?

Excellent news with the fuel pump - although be aware that the problem may return. The timing belt has a good long interval, 72k comes to mind, so a long term investment really. Make sure the garage is using a good make of belt kit.

13 hours ago, artdjones said:

be aware that the problem may return

Yeah... it already has.

It behaved itself perfectly until early this week, when I parked it up outside my house. Went back to move it over the road late at night, and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with relay and fuses again, started.

Next day I drove to the office, parked up for the day. Came to go home and it wouldn't start. This time I spent about an hour mucking around with things before it started, and this time I'm not sure the starting was actually to do with anything that I'd done.

So the mystery continues but I need to sort it. My thinking is that it can only be fuel pump relay, pump itself, loom or ECU. If I were to take the ECU out of the Expert, is it a drop in replacement, or is it coded to things? Such as the immobiliser? Would it need Lexia action to make it work?

10 minutes ago, djoptix said:

Yeah... it already has.

It behaved itself perfectly until early this week, when I parked it up outside my house. Went back to move it over the road late at night, and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with relay and fuses again, started.

Next day I drove to the office, parked up for the day. Came to go home and it wouldn't start. This time I spent about an hour mucking around with things before it started, and this time I'm not sure the starting was actually to do with anything that I'd done.

So the mystery continues but I need to sort it. My thinking is that it can only be fuel pump relay, pump itself, loom or ECU. If I were to take the ECU out of the Expert, is it a drop in replacement, or is it coded to things? Such as the immobiliser? Would it need Lexia action to make it work?

Strongly suspect ECU & immob are coded/connected. If my experience of Rennow is anything to go by, other modules may be as well.

Throw on another relay?

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

It's most likely the pump, and if it was any other PSA product I'd suggest swapping it they are only £50-70 on eBay. But as that means dropping the tank on this, it might be best to check the relay first.

I'm doing a test. Since I've got to drive the white one for another week I've put the relay out of the new one on it. If it displays the same symptoms then it's the relay. If it doesn't I'll probably rob the pump off the white one and swap it before it goes.

Scudo is back. I am £620 poorer and one cambelt and water pump better off.

Apparently whoever did the job last time managed to cross thread all the engine mount bolts so it also needed a new mount and two hours spent extracting broken bolts.

Now I have a new issue. It's making a "chattering" noise and the aux belt tensioner is moving around, a lot. New tensioner? Alternator/AC pump clutch playing up?

Here it is looking nice. It really is a nice place to be and I've got all my stuff organised in the back now as well.

IMG_20230120_162144.thumb.jpg.6ff1aa689b0a4eda3b51d66ab398e1e4.jpg

Whisper it, people will be cross, but this happened today as well.

IMG_20230120_104619.jpg.dd06dc5366234495dc3a739309543bf5.jpg

• djoptix changed the title to Not quite shite Scudo van
23 hours ago, djoptix said:

Scudo is back. I am £620 poorer and one cambelt and water pump better off.

Apparently whoever did the job last time managed to cross thread all the engine mount bolts so it also needed a new mount and two hours spent extracting broken bolts.

Now I have a new issue. It's making a "chattering" noise and the aux belt tensioner is moving around, a lot. New tensioner? Alternator/AC pump clutch playing up?

Here it is looking nice. It really is a nice place to be and I've got all my stuff organised in the back now as well.

IMG_20230120_162144.thumb.jpg.6ff1aa689b0a4eda3b51d66ab398e1e4.jpg

Whisper it, people will be cross, but this happened today as well.

IMG_20230120_104619.jpg.dd06dc5366234495dc3a739309543bf5.jpg

I had the chattering aux belt on a Mk3 Mondeo dizzle. I think it was the tensioner. 

Thanks for disposing of the white one. I didn't want to win the roffle.

• 5 months later...

Mini update.

Silver Scudo is bloody brilliant. Got two pipe tubes on it now, my ladders on the roof, racking in the back, USB charger in the front. Does almost 50mpg on long runs. Comfy seats.

Non starting hasn't recurred, I am 99% sure it's intermittent wiring going to the in-tank pump - there are a bundle of wires under the passenger side which are exposed to the elements, last time it refused to start I fiddled with these and it started immediately and has been fine ever since.

Thinking about chopping it in for a LWB crew cab Trafic, but also a bit torn because it's so good.

MOT coming up at the start of August, so I'll see what that brings. If it flies through I'll probably get the AC regassed and keep it forever

8 hours ago, djoptix said:

Mini update.

Silver Scudo is bloody brilliant. Got two pipe tubes on it now, my ladders on the roof, racking in the back, USB charger in the front. Does almost 50mpg on long runs. Comfy seats.

Non starting hasn't recurred, I am 99% sure it's intermittent wiring going to the in-tank pump - there are a bundle of wires under the passenger side which are exposed to the elements, last time it refused to start I fiddled with these and it started immediately and has been fine ever since.

Thinking about chopping it in for a LWB crew cab Trafic, but also a bit torn because it's so good.

MOT coming up at the start of August, so I'll see what that brings. If it flies through I'll probably get the AC regassed and keep it forever

While it's still going keep going. Running a business is hard enough. I'd defo stick with a van that's not giving me any grief whatsoever till it starts doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Another mini update.

Scudo in for MOT today. It needs a CV gaiter, a wheel bearing, a rear wheel cylinder probably, and could benefit from some new rear tyres.

It also needs a back box putting on it - I only discovered the other day that I've been driving around without one all this time. It's honestly not noisy, in fact it's quieter than the white one ever was. But hopefully I can get a back box on it and it'll pass on Friday.

Another year of motoring awaits, I think.

50MPG is class, new (commercial) tyres aren't too bad from F1 Autocentres if you go that route. If you're not arsed if commercial or car tyres drop me a message, there's probably a couple of half decent ones on my spare van you can have for nowt if you swap them for your shit ones.