Admiral's Sinking Fleet

AdmiralRazorBeard

So I have been a member for quite a while, but haven't actually posted my own exploits on here and I figured I would actually put everything together for you fine people, for some reason, 'normal' people don't generally listen.

I am from Stoke-on-Trent and have been all about sub £1000 fodder and everyone thought I was mad, I thought I was mad, until I discovered @dollywobbler on YouTube, and this site and realised we are all mad 😁.

So the current fleet consists of:

2004 Volkswagen 'New' Beetle TDI - Bought because I kind of liked the look, was really dull to drive, so I fitted 35mm lowering springs (not my usual kid of thing) but it made quite difference, paid £450 18 months ago. Then hammered it delivering pizza for extra cash during all 83.5 lockdowns.

2009 Volkswagen Touran S 1.9 TDI - Basically, the Mother-in-law got offered next to nothing in part exchange on a brand new Polo, so I paid the princely sum of £800 for it. I then spent £1500 fixing the damn thing, DMF, clutch, timing belt, new shocks, springs and servicing. Finally got to the end of the tunnel and have a reliable car, although these 2000's VWs seem to rust like an 80's Ford.

2005 Citroen Berlingo 1.6 16v - Recent purchase, wasnt overly interested until I realised it was sat on 199,000 miles and that just wouldn't wash. Currently has water running into the passenger footwell, although I cannot work out where from. Also needs the front suspension going over as it knocks like its trying to sell double glazing, though hopefully this should be a good runner over winter, and for £500 with MOT until June and a file full of history from its one owner, I can't complain.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-04 at 10.34.28 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-04 at 10.34.28 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-04 at 10.34.28.jpeg

2 hours ago, r.welfare said:

I’ve a Touran the same age (good car), where is yours rusty?  Mine is only scabby on the tailgate where the handle and number plate lights are.

It has gone scabby in the same place, also where the front wings meet the sills and three of the wheel arches are starting to bubble, I dont think the previous owner wash very regular in car washing. 

It seems to be that moisture gets behind the rust proofing on the sills on them too, then they rot behind the sealant. 

I have every intention waxing the underside, its just building myself up to lying on a cold garage floor for a day.

6 hours ago, AdmiralRazorBeard said:

It has gone scabby in the same place, also where the front wings meet the sills and three of the wheel arches are starting to bubble, I dont think the previous owner wash very regular in car washing. 

It seems to be that moisture gets behind the rust proofing on the sills on them too, then they rot behind the sealant. 

I have every intention waxing the underside, its just building myself up to lying on a cold garage floor for a day.

The wheel arches have a block of sound deadening rubber/foam between the plastic liner and the panel. These act like a sponge and soak up all the salt and shit and slowly dissolve the arches.