austin maxi offered free but must be to a good home only!

joethornton1986

Hey Billy, seeing as im visiting you and Joe this weekend I could give you a lift.Id love it myself but an Allegro is enough at the moment. I dare say it will need work to ensure it stays on the road. Besides, its not a convertible ;)Ive got a used but good friction plate for whoever gets this Hydragas suspended beauty. It would be advisable to do the crank seal too.

Ooh-err thanks Tim, that'd be very handy should I be the lucky recipeint and all that. Pm'd Joe a while back, fingers crossed!

All being well a nice new clutch will be winging it's way to my front door any day soon. Any ideas where to get a new crank seal from please anyone?

I got mine from ebay for a fiver. Its the same item as the Allegro 1500/1750. Apparently they come in terracotta red and orange -the orange ones are much better than the terracotta ones. Apparently.You need a special seal puller to get the old one out but careful stabbing/gouging with a sharp screwdriver does the trick.

i did get some lights and the grille and other small bits if anyone needs owt

I need front indicators!! :D
bet thats the only ones i avnt got,theres a coupla boxes tho of bits what was in the boot,i didnt actually take them off meself and i avnt had a proper look,saw rear lights tho....will have a look for u tomoro and let u know :wink:
Any news on those indicators, SP? :)

Cheers Joe, nice to have met you matey. The eagle has indeed now landed and I'll make a start on a few things this weekend. Nice one, much appreciated.

SRSLY DOWT DAT M8...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any my favourite bit...

Posted Image

It's got a moderb CD player in it which doesn't seem to work though that's no bad thing as it looks more out of place than my missus smiling.

Needs the hydrospastic suspension pumping up, clutch replacing (though it wasn't as bad as I first thought), a service most likely and Joe suspected water pump was getting noisy. Handily enough there's a spare water pump with the car and one or two other service items I think.

Brakes are cock on, it pulled as well as I could expect and it does seem completely standard.

Interior needs some work: passenger seat ripped, rear seat clips (to keep them upright) are apparantly knackered, passenger window winder mech is bowl axed, no carpets in the front and paintwork tired.

That might might sound like I'm complaining but I'm not, it's a GR8 car with a real character and it's fucking yonks since I've seen one on the road, especially this early.

Bosched a few 'wanted' ads up here and there as would like to try and get a better passenger seat and rear seat plus some front carpets. If anyone spots one somewhere being broken for parts with same interior please let me know.I reckon my valeting machine will get the seats and trims up pretty well in the meanwhile.

would like to try and get a better passenger seat and rear seat

Ones from the crab limo I've just pinched the tank off of any good?Quite a few bits here :-http://www.austinmaxiclub.org/forsale/carsandparts.htm
Cheers Keef (and everyone else). Are Landcrab seats the same mate?

Right, operation clean up starts today. Have mended the seat back clips by accident, removed what's left of parcel shelf, had a quick play round and gave the rear seat back a good slam, seems to have done the job.Going to try cleaning interior by hand to start with, coming up very slowly but driver's seat base seems to have faded a bit. Have put a couple more 'wanted' ads about, anyone know the likelihood of being able to find a half decent interior in the same (sort of mustard) colour or at least a few bits inc. parcel shelf?

Billy, I recon you could score a good interior for not much money at all, provided you dont mind it coming from a later maxi. Those early ones and extremely rare. I doubt it would upset the purists too much!