1973 Vauxhall Viva… untouched since ‘93 - worth it?

motorpunk

14 minutes ago, JimH said:

^ That in spades. 

Turn up to make an offer cash in hand and the kit to move it there and then. Otherwise you find that when you return all excited like to collect your winnings someone new is there who threatens to set the dogs on you. 

Or cousin Alan, despite living eight floors up in a  tower block and working every day god sends, decides he will restore it when he retires at 78. Until then it will live on some wet grass under a tarp. 

19 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Or cousin Alan, despite living eight floors up in a  tower block and working every day god sends, decides he will restore it when he retires at 78. Until then it will live on some wet grass under a tarp. 

- My son is going to get a boiler made for it and sell it for much more

- We're going to restore it ourselves (forty years on and the waggon is still a pile of shite)

- Someone at work says it's worth more than that

- I've seen them advertised for more than that

- I've been told I'll get more if I send it to auction

- There was one on the Antiques Roadshow last week and the man said it was worth thousands (not a complete vehicle that one but the point stands) 

I suppose there's a very remote chance it could be an 16/1800,or even a 20/2300,if it's a '73.The Magnum moniker and trim didn't appear until late in the year. To me the HC is the 70s.Started in 1970 and practically lasted the decade out.Last fully British Vauxhall as well. Please let it be an SL, with the separate rear seats and the wheel trims. That lovely metallic green paint would be good too. Probably a powder blue 1256 deluxe though. 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Probably a powder blue 1256 deluxe though. 

And that's a lesser thing because...?

LTE 787K.jpg

Actually I think ours was the 1159 engine!  But it towed that little Thompson... not at any real speed, but felt like it would plod on all day.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

And that's a lesser thing because...?

LTE 787K.jpg

Actually I think ours was the 1159 engine!  But it towed that little Thompson... not at any real speed, but felt like it would plod on all day.

IIRC, 1159 had a 100 mph speedo and the wipers operated on a switch by the lights and the 1256 had a 120 mph speedo and the wipers controlled by a stalk. 1159 also had drums all round.

6 hours ago, warren t claim said:

IIRC, 1159 had a 100 mph speedo and the wipers operated on a switch by the lights and the 1256 had a 120 mph speedo and the wipers controlled by a stalk. 1159 also had drums all round.

Strange as mines  a 1256 with 100mph speedo, wipers on dash switch and drums all round 🤔 

Still can't post a pic though.

9 hours ago, warren t claim said:

My 1975 1256 has dash operated wipers and front discs,no idea what the Speedo goes up to though😂

10 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Wipers operated from a dashboard rocker switch for my '73 1256cc - and I think the strip speedo ran to a (still) highly optimistic 100mph, though I can't put my hand to a photo of it now. Yup, discs up front though - and I recall it took the same pads as a BL Mini, even though the Viva was a rather larger and heavier beast.

22 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Think the 1159 was available in normal, or 90 flavours. 90 had discs and Stromberg carb. 1256s seemed to use downdraught and Stromberg. All got a bit confusing and suspect cars were built with whatever parts were available, as strikes were rife in the seventies. 

Mine was fitted with a Zenith carb - though after multiple head gasket issues I swapped it for a later Chevette block with a Stromberg.

Still had gasket issues...

They did seem to be a bit hit and miss, spec-wise; equally, I could never work out why some cars had separate V A U X H A L L letters affixed to the slam panel between the rear lights, some had an all-in-one Vauxhall badge, and some just had the Griffin emblem.

My memory is that the HB was 1159cc and it was "upgraded" to 1256cc when the HC was introduced.

Memories can trick us though.

Truth be told they were pretty crap engines. Even the late great Bill Blydenstein couldnt do much to improve them.

I could do a clutch change on my HB in under an hour. Those were the days. 😃

52 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

My memory is that the HB was 1159cc and it was "upgraded" to 1256cc when the HC was introduced.

Not quite!  HC had been with us a couple of years before the upgrade; it happened when the 1600/2000 FD Victor became the 1800/2300 FE.   As these engines were used in higher-spec Vivas, the base engine grew at the same time.  The CF similarly had to wait for the bigger engines.  It started out with the brand-new-for-the-FD 1599 and 1975, and (after mine was built, naturally!) went to 1759/2279.  The FE Victor I had was the basic 1759...

20 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

They did seem to be a bit hit and miss, spec-wise; equally, I could never work out why some cars had separate V A U X H A L L letters affixed to the slam panel between the rear lights, some had an all-in-one Vauxhall badge, and some just had the Griffin emblem.

Hah, never noticed that before. Just had a look through photos of those I've seen, most have the separate letters but there are one or two of each of the other variations.

1976 Vauxhall Viva HC 1300 SL

Rostyles transform the appearance of them.

1970 Vauxhall Viva HC 1200 SL

Doesn't seem to be an age thing, as this early model had the separate letters yet so do the very latest ones.

1972/73 Vauxhall Viva SL HC

The green one ended up in the USA and was for sale at the beginning of this year.

1974/75 Vauxhall Viva HC 4dr

If you squint the do look a little bit like a baby Pontiac 🤣

I always liked the boxy look of the Viva.

When I was a kid,a cousin of mine used to run a Chevette and bought a rotten HC as an engine doner, I think that's when I decided I would like one eventually. 

Never thought I'd end up with 3 of the things 🙄

20190505_064920.thumb.jpg.39088a686950a350bf4b778ab8c0bd78.jpg

12 hours ago, garbaldy said:

Cool dash.

Screenshot_20221024-133629_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fe0ec3e606849d6481b3e39030a5300d.jpg

I dug one of those speedos out of my uncles allotment in 1993, and as I kept going we kept finding more and bits of viva including doors, seats, wheels and an engine. All just buried.

I hope this garage find viva is better than the one I found.