The most modern old shite you can get away with?

CrapCarNerd

Speaking from personal experience;

I’ve completely sacked off diesel cars, modern ones are usually a complete white elephant. Both my awful Golf TDi and my mum and dads newish low mileage Astra suffered expensive and in the latter case terminal failure due to emissions regeneration equipment sooting up vital components. Plus many modern petrol cars will easily manage 40-50 plus mpg even if you don’t buy a small engined car. There is currently a 20p-30p per litre difference between the cost of petrol and diesel so they aren’t even much cheaper to run.

I keep mentioning it on here but my 57 plate Nissan Qashqai is fantastically shiteworthy. It uses a tiny very simple 1600 petrol engine that never drops below 45mpg, every service job I’ve attempted is dead easy because you don’t have to remove half the car to get at it. Parts are dirt cheap and easy to obtain because it shares components with hundreds of thousands of other cars and vans from various manufacturers. It goes thousands of miles without any consideration apart from adding fuel, gets loaded with archaeology tools, goes off road (despite 2wd) and never receives a moment’s consideration. Unlike my Golf which had serious corrosion within ten years of its build date it hasn’t even started rusting yet. 

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

1336145371_Aspaceship.thumb.jpeg.4f31544903e81b3e6759a4e91284dbff.jpeg

Mk8 Honda Civic. Yes, it's a 2009 diesel.

However, it has a manual gearbox, a manual handbrake, and no DPF / AdBlue or any of that shit. Surely it must be one of the last diesels to plod on without that stuff.

And being a later version of the 2.2 won't suffer the cracking exhaust manifold cracking that early Accordbdiesels suffered. 

10 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Just avoid a Vauxhall.

Yet again, another ill informed piece of advice just because its 'cool' to say that on here.

Some are a bit more needy like the Vectra B but MK4 Astras are excellent and simple cars, have you ever owned one? I had one for 13 years, 1.8 petrol, the only issue was a cracked radiator at 6 years old.  I know lots and lots of other people who have also owned one and had no major issues. Subframes and rear arches rust but it's rarely terminal.

The fact that you still see examples of them in the road after 20 years is a sign that they are at least worth considering.

It's like anything though, if you buy something that has been looked after and had actual money spent on it over the years, you will likely be fine. 

29 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Yet again, another ill informed piece of advice just because its 'cool' to say that on here.

Some are a bit more needy like the Vectra B but MK4 Astras are excellent and simple cars, have you ever owned one? I had one for 13 years, 1.8 petrol, the only issue was a cracked radiator at 6 years old.  I know lots and lots of other people who have also owned one and had no major issues. Subframes and rear arches rust but it's rarely terminal.

The fact that you still see examples of them in the road after 20 years is a sign that they are at least worth considering.

It's like anything though, if you buy something that has been looked after and had actual money spent on it over the years, you will likely be fine. 

Personal experience from myself and others close to me has just been issue after issue. It's only my opinion though, I don't know why it would be 'cool' to say I don't like Vauxhalls? HGF, Stem seals, injectors etc etc. I have only had 1.6 and 1.8 petrol. I will say this relates to older Corsas and astras I can't comment on the other models post 2007 say. Last one nice MK4 Astra estate 1.6. Drove 10/10, Interior and space 10/10. The constant issues were enough to put me off for life. I won't ever buy another again.

Play a game, when you see that car Infront driving along with big white plume of smoke following it. 9/10 times it's a Vauxhall. That speaks volumes.

I know with anything you can get good and bad but the ratio just seems to be well off with them.

12 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Personal experience from myself.

Play a game, when you see that car Infront driving along with big white plume of smoke following it. 9/10 times it's a Vauxhall. That speaks volumes.

First part, that's understandable you have been put off, I am like that with BMW Minis.

Second part, I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I've been behind lots of cars that have been smoky and whilst some of them may have been a Vauxhall, I'm sorry but I doubt your 90% statistic. 

Sorry to derail the thread and no offense to you, normally I just ignore the 'AVAS' nonsense but it gets a bit tiring when someone says 90% of the cars they've seen smoking are Vauxhall.

I think it peaked with the mk1 mondeo. In 1993.  Built in passenger protection,  multi point petrol injection twin cam engines, airbag and abs.  Has everything else since then not just been fannying around?

The 1996 e39 5 series as well. Find a nice one of those and you still feel like your driving  car made in the last 5 years rather than 25 years ago.

They're also in that sweet spot of not being crazy complex and as they've been out for so long every job to do on them is documented on forums or youtube.

5 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

First part, that's understandable you have been put off, I am like that with BMW Minis.

Second part, I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I've been behind lots of cars that have been smoky and whilst some of them may have been a Vauxhall, I'm sorry but I doubt your 90% statistic. 

Sorry to derail the thread and no offense to you, normally I just ignore the 'AVAS' nonsense but it gets a bit tiring when someone says 90% of the cars they've seen smoking are Vauxhall.

I can see the mini thing. My mate had a lot of issues with his when it was getting older. Managed to PX it against a Focus and the garage only drove it around the forecourt where it didn't play up so they gave him good money for it.

It's all personal opinion, I welcome all arguments. Would be boring if we all thought the same. I said 90% but I honestly don't remember the last time I saw anything other than a Vauxhall doing it but though 100% would sound unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

All my Vauxhalls were superb, conspicuously reliable, well made and not prone to rust or electrical issues. Three of mine cracked 200,000 without any issues, the other only didn't because a bodged cambelt change destroyed the valves.

I never really liked the FIAT engined diesel variants, they went well but seemed prone to borkage. The main issue with most Vauxhalls is that they are a bit downmarket, are worth fuck all a few years down the line and tend to reach the point of financial inviability very quickly. This is of course fine for shiting purposes, especially if you do your own repairs. 

I saw a L reg Astra van on Tuesday in Brecon, brush painted astravan blue (they were nearly all that colour). 

Shite-territory Vauxhalls have a problem - they're desperately popular with a certain demographic that inflict smoked rear lights, wildly ambitious spoilers and body kits and certain tuning techniques on the poor old things. Then fail to do the most basic preventative maintenance on them before red lining them mercilessly around council estates. The rest is history.

Anyhoo, early BMWs could be a good shout, where an unmolested example without rust can be found. #QuentinWilson Are the parts for these still available and cheap?

+1 for the opinion that anything old enough to be untroubled by dpf/dmf/epb, that has been looked after and for which there is still a supply of parts, will deliver 10,000 miles a year. It doesn't necessarily have to be dull as fuck.

Well if you wanted something that’s older than it actually is, but still Autoshite cheap, I’d go for something like a Perodua Nippa, Kelisa or Kenari. I’ve never driven one but I know they’re based on Daihatsus so they’ll probably be quite reliable, plus you’ll have an air of mystery around you all the time since nobody outside of this forum will know what on earth it is.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

My in laws have an Astra 1.8, just does the job. Things can go wrong with them but that’s like anything else. Vectra, was ok I guess, for what they cost now so sub £1,500 they’re a means to an end. Can’t recommend the diesel Insignia though, pretty much every one I know who has had one has had gearbox or spun bearings. 

In fact you will probably get a very good Vectra for £1,500, just don’t get attached and treat it as disposable. Not a car I’d particularly have recommended new but makes much more sense at a banger level. Disregard the diesels though, too much trouble to consider, go for the 1.8 or the 2.2

I used this old Beemer for 6 years.

DSCF8592.thumb.JPG.fb78ab7c23a346b872eb02bc71431468.JPG

Found on fleabay in 2013 for £1400 with only 51,000 on the clock, 6 years and 64,000 miles later I got rid of it. Used to get 40mpg out of it and was able to lug all sorts of shite about in it. The only problems were a duff wiper motor, split expansion tank and knacked prop shaft mount.