Spot the difference.

Barry Cade

Being on twatter earlier, got me thinking of a fred for the dark nights. Spot the difference.

List all the differences between 2 cars that share a body shell but have a different name, like a Mitsubishi Lancer/ Proton. Mazda 323/Sao Penza.

I'll kick off with my favourite. 

Mk1 Cavalier/ Opel Ascona B. Cavalier sportshatch/ Opel Manta.

Scrapyard memories, old photies,  all welcome.

I broke my nose taking an Ascona steering wheel off in the scrappies to fit to my Mk1 Cavalier 2dr which I was making into an Ascona 400...  the rear bumper was different on them.

Vauxhall Astra MK2 and Daewoo Nexia. 

Forgetting the changed styling front and rear. Rear doors were completely different on the five doors. 

Nexia used Saloon/Belmont style doors and had a quarter glass. It was a mash up between the 3 door and saloon pressings. 

A Daimler 250 V8 and a Mk2 Jag.

The engine 2.5 V8 in the Daimler 

2.4, 3.4 and 3.8 in the Jaguar.

Front bench seating in the Daimler, 2 front chairs in the Jaguar.

Mainly auto in the Daimler either auto or manual in the Jaguar. 

The fluted grill on the Daimler, the upright grill on the Jaguar.

received_10207639538479113.jpeg

ROAD TEST - 1967 JAGUAR MK2 240 - Classics World

Seat Rhonda/Fiat Strada MK2. The Seat had rectangular headlamps and a more sloping front. I'm not sure that the booted Malaga had much in common with a Regata though.

Bear with me on the next one:

Fiat 1500 underpan + 2 fillets between each sill and the floor, bosh on the wider but more modern Fiat 124 body and add twin cam engines = Fiat 125.

MINUS the twin cam engines and replace them with the old one again = Fso 125p

Remove the 124 body, replace with a discarded Fiat designed hatchback, keep the rest = Polonez. 

3 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Mk1 Cavalier/ Opel Ascona B. Cavalier sportshatch/ Opel Manta.

Scrapyard memories, old photies,  all welcome.

I broke my nose taking an Ascona steering wheel off in the scrappies to fit to my Mk1 Cavalier 2dr which I was making into an Ascona 400...  the rear bumper was different on them.

indeed back in the day i saw a towbar on a cav which used an ascona rear bumper for the upwards number plate lights cos no plate relocated to between lights like ascona

8 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

aldi 80 - vw pisswet

The Mk1 80 & Passat were identical up to the rear doors where the VW went fastback (with and without a hatch) and the 80 went notchback.
Then they made estate versions of both cars and you had to look at the badges and minor trim differences to tell which was which.
Fun fact - I believe this car holds the record* for the number of different versions of the same basic body shell for a passenger car. 2 & 4 door 3 box saloon, 2 & 4 door fastback saloon, 3 & 5 door hatchbacks and a 4 door estate.

Lots of 70s commonality between Vauxhall and Opel.  Rekord/Carlton Mk1 had different front ends as per the Cav and Ascona, Commodore/Viceroy had different trim and grilles and the Senator/Royales were near identical bar the grille, rear lights and a slightly different shaped dashboard.

5 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

The Mk1 80 & Passat were identical up to the rear doors where the VW went fastback (with and without a hatch) and the 80 went notchback.
Then they made estate versions of both cars and you had to look at the badges and minor trim differences to tell which was which.
Fun fact - I believe this car holds the record* for the number of different versions of the same basic body shell for a passenger car. 2 & 4 door 3 box saloon, 2 & 4 door fastback saloon, 3 & 5 door hatchbacks and a 4 door estate.

Lots of 70s commonality between Vauxhall and Opel.  Rekord/Carlton Mk1 had different front ends as per the Cav and Ascona, Commodore/Viceroy had different trim and grilles and the Senator/Royales were near identical bar the grille, rear lights and a slightly different shaped dashboard.

The original Audi 100 Avant looked very similar to the mk1 Passat hatch but I'm assuming they were different platforms.