Austin/Morris day at Brooklands 07/03

brammy777

Its proper nice! Is there a story behind it?

the previous owner had owned it since new, and got too old to drive it and eventually went into a home.his family posted on the maestro owners forum and as it was local i went round to see it. well lets just say i got lucky!hadnt been driven for nearly ten years, but you could see it was mint under all the dust. so i got it recovered, spent a summer cleaning it, got it back on the road.needed a new wheel bearing, some tyres and a long overdue service! 30k miles and like someone pointed out a very early model!some more info here if anyone is interested!http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showth ... 001&page=2

Well done Hammy, thats it. Its an AEC Swift Sparshatt. I cant imagine too many of these survive. Bonus points if you can guess the one in the background...

Looks like a BOAC decker, IIRC they had some Atlanteans and some front entrance Routemasters, or maybe they were BEA?

Well done Hammy, thats it. Its an AEC Swift Sparshatt. I cant imagine too many of these survive. Bonus points if you can guess the one in the background...

Looks like a BOAC decker, IIRC they had some Atlanteans and some front entrance Routemasters, or maybe they were BEA?
Yep, Leyland Atlantean :)

Correct, here is said bus as pictured by me:

Posted Image

And a couple more from the day:

Posted Image

Random selection of commercial and emergency shite, got some better shots of the BMC tanker and an ancient little tug if anyones interested.

Posted Image

Mahoosive Militant. Alot newer than youd have first thought as well.

Posted Image

Forgotten Minor round the back, this is part of the Museum collection rather than part of the event.

Posted Image

CA was so shiny, again aviation related.

Posted Image

Gorgeous/hideous, Im in the former camp.

Posted Image

Yes, it was an Austin Morris show and here I am taking pictures of a MKII Astra. 1.2 though, when did you last see one of them?

Got a very tasty MG Metro and Landcrab in the next installment...

Correct, here is said bus as pictured by me:

Posted Image

Nice, got to be one of the oldest surviving Atlanteans around, the oldest I've ever driven was on an L reg.

Forgotten Minor round the back, this is part of the Museum collection rather than part of the event.

Posted Image

Is that Courtline livery? They also ran coaches for a period before the company went the way of Laker Airways.

Gorgeous/hideous, Im in the former camp.

Posted Image

Yes, it was an Austin Morris show and here I am taking pictures of a MKII Astra. 1.2 though, when did you last see one of them?

Yonks ago, and those arches look mint which makes this even rarer, and a late-ish model to be on an H-reg too. Got a soft spot for the old Mk2 Astra, must be something to do with the 2 my dad had as company cars.

Great photos. Really hope this event doesn't clash with other things one year. I suppose I might be more inclined to go anyway once I have the Morris on the road again.

Posted Image

Nice and original, although I dont know if it was a Taxi way back then. This is an A55 right?

Correct notation would be A55 MkII as a retrospectively named MkI would be a curvy pre-farina A55. :D

Great photos. Really hope this event doesn't clash with other things one year. I suppose I might be more inclined to go anyway once I have the Morris on the road again.

Posted Image

Nice and original, although I dont know if it was a Taxi way back then. This is an A55 right?

Correct notation would be A55 MkII as a retrospectively named MkI would be a curvy pre-farina A55. :D
I met the chap who owns this in a show in Hastings a few years ago. He used to banger race them.

He now takes great pleasure in turning up to Farina purist shows with this example and his collection of photos from his racing days, to annoy the beards. :D

He did make a good point - when he was racing these they were old shitters, just like putting a Bluebird on the oval nowadays.

Posted Image

I met the chap who owns this in a show in Hastings a few years ago. He used to banger race them.

He now takes great pleasure in turning up to Farina purist shows with this example and his collection of photos from his racing days, to annoy the beards. :D

He did make a good point - when he was racing these they were old shitters, just like putting a Bluebird on the oval nowadays.

I think about 50% of the Farina mob are (or were) banger racers. I certainly know a guy who has raced them who now regularly does shows with one a friend of mine sold on because he didn't think it was worth restoring. This guy got it to race but decided it was too good for the track and swapped lots of parts with a resto job he owned. The original resto job was raced and the other car put back on the road.

The same friend owned the Westminster (the wing of which is just visible here) and at the show he met another ex racer who had a mint bootlid from a westy he'd raced - whilst the car was shagged he spotted the bootlid was tidy and removed it before racing. He gave it to my mate for nothing!

Ha, I was listening to music so didnt really notice anyone!

Posted Image

I think this is still used, I bet it has some massive engine in it.

Anorack Warning:

This is an ex Heathrow Fire Service RIV and I put an engine in this about 12 years ago while it was still at LHR. They have a V8 2-stroke detroit diesel engine that is super-charged and turbo charged.

The engine is attached to a power-divider before the transmission that is like a giant motor bike multi-clutch because the engine also drives the Godiver fire pump. In 'pump and roll' mode the throttle pedal controls slip on the clutch pack so the engine can be fully reving but the vehicle manovers at low speed. To make this work the throttle is pneumatic which builds in a lag with going on and off after the pedal is pressed and released, which is very interesting in traffic.

The 6x6 civvy version is a Javelin and has a V12., think the RAF version is called a Mark 11 although its not exactly the same.

Nice one! It was lovely as well. Is it as good as it looks?

shes not mint, but good and completely useable.very good price too, bloke said it owed him a couple of hundred quid and thats what i got it for! test til november and tax till end of april!top bloke, and a member of one of the local mini clubs, a true autoshiter