Mystery car collection thread.....

Lankytim

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

The 2CV6 used the bigger 602cc engine first seen in 1965 as a special option; it was then badged as such when it became a separate model from 1970 on with improved trim and lighting, to distinguish it from the cheaper 2CV4 which used the smaller 435cc unit.

I think only the 2CV6 was ever sold in the UK.

I bought a brand new 2CV6 in 1975.  Mine had a single spoke steering wheel and rectangular headlights.  It was an extraordinarily versatile car with its roll back roof and quickly removable seats (for picnics). I undid some of the rear screen (back window) fixings to enable it to become a hatchback using the fabric roof as the hinge. Eventually, after 98K miles and a few years, the underdamped front suspension got on my nerves with its constant nodding.  A few cars later I bought a 2nd hand Dyane which I loved.  It did not nod as much and was fractionally faster despite having basically the same engine.

Certainly a characterful car to acquire and not in bad condition.  I hope @Lankytimis able to bond with it. 

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

The 2CV6 used the bigger 602cc engine first seen in 1965 as a special option; it was then badged as such when it became a separate model from 1970 on with improved trim and lighting, to distinguish it from the cheaper 2CV4 which used the smaller 435cc unit.

Ah, that makes sense. When I was a youngster in the 80's a found a "today's cars" catalogue or similar and thought the 2CV6 was fitted with a V6 engine. That would've been interesting!

21 minutes ago, RayMK said:

I bought a brand new 2CV6 in 1975.  Mine had a single spoke steering wheel and rectangular headlights.  It was an extraordinarily versatile car with its roll back roof and quickly removable seats (for picnics). I undid some of the rear screen (back window) fixings to enable it to become a hatchback using the fabric roof as the hinge. Eventually, after 98K miles and a few years, the underdamped front suspension got on my nerves with its constant nodding.  A few cars later I bought a 2nd hand Dyane which I loved.  It did not nod as much and was fractionally faster despite having basically the same engine.

Certainly a characterful car to acquire and not in bad condition.  I hope @Lankytimis able to bond with it. 

98k in a 2CV! I do wonder if these are usable in modern traffic and have visions of being unable to find a space big enough to pull out on a busy roundabout or being unable to use motorways safely, I'm sure plenty of 2CV owners do all of this and more and my apprehension is unfounded. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the driving!

3 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Ah, that makes sense. When I was a youngster in the 80's a found a "today's cars" catalogue or similar and thought the 2CV6 was fitted with a V6 engine. That would've been interesting!

98k in a 2CV! I do wonder if these are usable in modern traffic and have visions of being unable to find a space big enough to pull out on a busy roundabout or being unable to use motorways safely, I'm sure plenty of 2CV owners do all of this and more and my apprehension is unfounded. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the driving!

Don't worry about the lack of bhp.  In town or at major T junctions the 'trick' is to store energy in the 2cv's hefty flywheel with a bootfull of revs and release the clutch quite sharply.  This will enable you to even spin the wheels for a couple of metres.  Once on the move, just hold the revs in 2nd or 3rd until you reach cruising speed - which is anything from 50-69mph - then go into top.  My clutch was still fine after 98K miles! Don't slow down for corners.  They may lean but will not fall over unless you are really determined i.e. on adverse camber and deliberately applying a sudden steering input.  It usually takes a stunt man to cause a 2cv to lift its wheels. Economy on mine was always around 38mpg.  I was young and drove mostly at full throttle.  One quirk of the very long travel independent suspension is that the jack has to be rather long and it takes a while to get a wheel off the ground.  

41 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

2CVs are absolutely fine in modern traffic most of the time, but you have to develop your anticipation skillz, which is no bad thing anyway.   You soon learn to cope with the lack of acceleration and just wait for bigger spaces when pulling out.  It doesn't actually hold you up very much, and average speeds are not so different to any other car.  You do have to rev them hard, and go flat out to make any progress, but the car is fine with this - in fact you are often held up by the guy in front dawdling along.  4th gear is effectively an overdrive, so you can run in 3rd most of the time.   You have to watch for people pulling out in front of you because you are in an old car, etc. and you may be going faster than they think.   Motorways are possible in the right conditions, but stressful, so perhaps best avoided.   Every journey in a 2CV is an adventure, even if only down to the shops.  You will have a lot of fun.  

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

This. Schoolfriends dad owned a Chitroen & Lotus dealership. I had many lifts.

How in the holy hell did I miss this thread! What a find. Those rear sections are a bit crusty, but all the repair panels are available from Ecas, or repair wasn’t too tricky on the one I had done. 

23 hours ago, Lankytim said:

2CV driving is all about momentum, do all that you can to preserve the momentum. This heightens your anticipation as you try and predict how to maintain it. You’ll soon be cursing modern driving barstewards for slowing down on hills! You’ll get the hang of it quickly, just a different mentality from driving anything more modern. 

Honestly, bloody well done on this. 2CVs are absolutely awesome, I think I might get mine out for the commute tomorrow to celebrate you getting this one! 

Re acceleration, I never found pulling away in a 2CV to be a problem.  The combination of light weight and a very low first gear means they can get off the line fairly quickly.  I'd certainly rather be in a 2CV when trying to pull out onto a busy roundabout than an automatic Allegro for example.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:24 PM, RayMK said:

Don't worry about the lack of bhp.  In town or at major T junctions the 'trick' is to store energy in the 2cv's hefty flywheel with a bootfull of revs and release the clutch quite sharply.  This will enable you to even spin the wheels for a couple of metres.  Once on the move, just hold the revs in 2nd or 3rd until you reach cruising speed - which is anything from 50-69mph - then go into top.  My clutch was still fine after 98K miles! Don't slow down for corners.  They may lean but will not fall over unless you are really determined i.e. on adverse camber and deliberately applying a sudden steering input.  It usually takes a stunt man to cause a 2cv to lift its wheels. Economy on mine was always around 38mpg.  I was young and drove mostly at full throttle.  One quirk of the very long travel independent suspension is that the jack has to be rather long and it takes a while to get a wheel off the ground.  

On 10/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, Mr Pastry said:

2CVs are absolutely fine in modern traffic most of the time, but you have to develop your anticipation skillz, which is no bad thing anyway.   You soon learn to cope with the lack of acceleration and just wait for bigger spaces when pulling out.  It doesn't actually hold you up very much, and average speeds are not so different to any other car.  You do have to rev them hard, and go flat out to make any progress, but the car is fine with this - in fact you are often held up by the guy in front dawdling along.  4th gear is effectively an overdrive, so you can run in 3rd most of the time.   You have to watch for people pulling out in front of you because you are in an old car, etc. and you may be going faster than they think.   Motorways are possible in the right conditions, but stressful, so perhaps best avoided.   Every journey in a 2CV is an adventure, even if only down to the shops.  You will have a lot of fun.  

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

How in the holy hell did I miss this thread! What a find. Those rear sections are a bit crusty, but all the repair panels are available from Ecas, or repair wasn’t too tricky on the one I had done. 

2CV driving is all about momentum, do all that you can to preserve the momentum. This heightens your anticipation as you try and predict how to maintain it. You’ll soon be cursing modern driving barstewards for slowing down on hills! You’ll get the hang of it quickly, just a different mentality from driving anything more modern. 

Honestly, bloody well done on this. 2CVs are absolutely awesome, I think I might get mine out for the commute tomorrow to celebrate you getting this one! 

36 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Re acceleration, I never found pulling away in a 2CV to be a problem.  The combination of light weight and a very low first gear means they can get off the line fairly quickly.  I'd certainly rather be in a 2CV when trying to pull out onto a busy roundabout than an automatic Allegro for example.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement regarding modern roads. I'm sure I'll get my head around the high revs, appropriate use of gears and momentum preservation.  Regarding those corroded rear seat belt mounts, I've given them a thorough poking today  thee doesn't appear to be any holes. Are they double skinned or something? I can't find a corresponding  area of corrosion on the other side of the panel inside the wheel arch, maybe it's already been welded up from the other side?

1 hour ago, Mally said:

I had one in that colour.

Clean the points and it will probably start.

Only time mine ever failed, the low tension wire to the points had rubbed through on the chassis.

Funny you should say that.  After cleaning the points up I got a spark, although still no running engine as I need to get petrol up to float chamber. A splash of petrol down the carb resulted in a few pops, hopefully I'm on the right track. 

Much of today involved removing the seats and cleaning the interior of all the dust, cobwebs and grime. The front seats were  both seized up but careful application of lubrication of brute force forwards and backwards finally got them loosened up. After pulling the small retaining pins out I was able to remove them.  The rear bench seat was easier to get out and I was soon able to vacuum the floors and have a good look around. Apart from the previously mentioned rear seatbelt mounts there's corrosion to the middle of the front floors, either side. Nothing serious but definitely in need of the hot metal gun. 

Most of the seat base rubber rings have badly perished and fallen apart. I'll have to order a load to re-spring the seats and prevent people falling through them. As a temporary measure the drivers seat had the rubbers replaced with cable ties, meaning I no longer get my backside "eaten" by the seat!

1BB26C26-FEC2-4F58-BCE2-6FEAD885F031.jpeg

D54ADD1C-8AD9-47CA-B153-4924A02D1ACA.jpeg

9BB8C90F-14FE-425E-8321-19659D5E1634.jpeg

F256E6CF-40F9-478A-A30B-F2C8C3654621.jpeg

79183D86-A85B-4FDD-875E-7CB4E656716F.jpeg

54CAF1D0-CE78-48CF-86A1-430D8FB96B4B.jpeg

080128FB-2E66-49E3-8468-652FD2AE76F6.jpeg

BDF138C4-78BD-45D3-8508-861DE7A0A30E.jpeg

1F657BB5-6C33-4307-9CA3-F39E60670CA1.jpeg

E6508F05-83B8-4DAA-875B-8E0C8F18F6C2.jpeg

A fresh battery and some E5 and it’s actually running! A couple of fuel pipes felt a bit stiff so were replaced and the fuel system required priming to get the fuel to the carb but she’s now a first time starter. 

I’ve driven up and down the driveway a few times and the brakes appear to work and release OK, they’ll still require a strip and inspection though. 

I’m chuffed to bits she actually runs! 

E160447B-33B9-4174-97F8-A7E7D4DE4A9B.jpeg

F1E64199-D090-44ED-9B5C-73AEDC0B83CD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

the brakes appear to work and release OK, they’ll still require a strip and inspection though. 

Brakes are not a lot of fun to work on.  I would try driving it a bit, get them hot and see if they settle down.  Be aware that bolts holding the calipers to the gearbox also hold the two halves of the caliper together.  Cue fluid all over the discs if not careful.   Rear drums need a puller, but the shoes do not wear badly, seized adjusters is the usual problem.  On the plus side there are no flexi hoses to worry about.

It looks a like great car, anyway.  What a thing to find!

4 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Brakes are not a lot of fun to work on.  I would try driving it a bit, get them hot and see if they settle down.  Be aware that bolts holding the calipers to the gearbox also hold the two halves of the caliper together.  Cue fluid all over the discs if not careful.   Rear drums need a puller, but the shoes do not wear badly, seized adjusters is the usual problem.  On the plus side there are no flexi hoses to worry about.

It looks a like great car, anyway.  What a thing to find!

Thanks for the tips! I was surprised to find the braking system on these uses LHM oil,  hopefully this will mean there's less corrosion inside the braking system to deal with. 

That is a cracking find, and a real keeper. The rot is insignificant for one of these (especially a Portuguese one) but you need to invest in a shit ton of Bilt Hamber products promptly!

I think the 2cv6 was so called because of the number of side windows, the early 2cv4 didn't have the rear quarter lights.

8 minutes ago, Surface Rust said:

That is a cracking find, and a real keeper. The rot is insignificant for one of these (especially a Portuguese one) but you need to invest in a shit ton of Bilt Hamber products promptly!

I think the 2cv6 was so called because of the number of side windows, the early 2cv4 didn't have the rear quarter lights.

I thought the ‘6’ just demoted the 602cc engine?

48 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I love to think that at some point Citroen engineers wanted to make a sub 1litre V6 because Citroen, however once they returned from the south of France vineyards someone slapped it out of them.  However the badges had already been created.

There was meant to be an air cooled flat six for the DS - that would have been something!

I’ve been loaned a garage for a few months so this morning “The Pickler” was dollied the 1/2 a mile or so so it can enjoy some dry storage. It’s starting off the key first time and drove  itself on and off the dolly and up the slope into the garage. The dolly fitted inside as well so it’s getting a well deserved “holiday” undercover too. 

I think a garage might me an essential item for a 2cv, it’s the first car I’ve sat inside where it still sounds like you’re outside when you close the door. 

162F2FA0-7CEA-4872-8D26-7F203953C8C4.jpeg

7AC297CB-6D55-4DFC-8E84-69FD87E1EDB8.jpeg

022FA9D2-74F0-4C8E-8F74-2D21AD14986D.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

I've been holding back from applying for a V5c in case the paperwork to this 2CV shows up at the previous owners house but it's apparently now all been cleared so any paperwork has been 100% lost which is a pity.

I've got a V62 all filled out and ready to but I'm expecting it to take a while to hear anything back. As far as I'm aware there's still huge backlogs at the DVLA and they need to wait 6 weeks after writing to the previous owner. It's going to make months and months. 

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I've got a V62 all filled out and ready to but I'm expecting it to take a while to hear anything back. As far as I'm aware there's still huge backlogs at the DVLA and they need to wait 6 weeks after writing to the previous owner. It's going to make months and months. 

nah not that long! they give the previous keeper 2 weeks to respond, after which the V5 is issued 

no significant backlogs at the DVLA regarding V62's as far as I know,

in-fact just today I heard back someone who has a Model 70 who's Logbook im I have helped them applied for, and they just got the standard "we will print off the New V5 in your name in 2 weeks from now" letter today 

the V62 for that was only sent off just about a month ago, and this is despite it having a scrapped marker against it,

so I imagine a V62 for this 2CV will go a good deal quicker then that since theres nothing on the record for them to otherwise have to look into :) 

id say a V62 for this would take about 4 weeks? 2 weeks for them to process the V62 and then the standard 2 weeks grace period that they give the previous recorded keeper :) 

BTW as others have said, with regards to your concerns of the usability of a 2CV in modern traffic etc

I really would not worry! having driven @Six-cylinder's 2CV I can say they are one of the most fun but also confidence inspiring vehicles I have ever driven! (and it really helped the driving lesson I had they day after that day!)

as others said the aim of the game is keep the momentum going, and once you do you will soon start to find yourself swearing at people in moderns for holding you up :) 

"Why are you braking for that corner in your £50K Audi that you and even I could have, and needed to take flat out!"